Gp2x & Mac

Shirohagen

Brutal Deluxe
Website
richardho.lt
Hello

I'm planning on getting a GP2X in the future, I just wondered if anyone knows anything about the connectivity with a Mac. I'm hoping that it will mount on the Mac desktop via USB so I don't need to buy another card reader like I had to with the GP32 and SMCs, is there any info out there about this?

®

MACOSX si a unix, and is almost completely compatible with linux stuff, gp2x IS linux stuff,
so you don't have any type o problem i think.
More, you can develop anything you want, because you have GCC on your magic computer.

That's great, that's really what I was wondering as the connectivity thing is a bit of a pain with the old GP32, despite the fact it is supposed to be supported via USB, I've never reliably got it to work and always used the reader.

Looking forward to investigating all the development stuff with the new possibilities too, most excited about the prospect of new emulation projects and native video playback!

Thanks for the advice

®

I personally have had no problems at all mounting the gp32 as a drive on my (OS X) desktop using phodrive. I would expect no problems with the gp2x either.

I haven't even tried the USB cable yet, but luckily I have had no problems using a card reader with my old G4 running OSX 10.3.9 (and only USB 1.1.) I'm using this card reader (which I bought from Newegg - unfortunately they don't ship worldwide.) I'm also using this A-Data 150x sd card and have had no problems with upgrading the firmware, transferring files or running emulators.

I formatted the card first in FAT32 with XP sp2 on a Sony PC with built-in card reader (I couldn't find anything definite regarding formatting FAT32 on OSX.)

An easy way for getting rid of those .DS_Store files and other (invisible on a Mac) files OSX leaves behind on the card is FinderCleaner (freeware.) Just put it in the dock, and drop the card's icon into it before removing the card from the reader to remove all the Mac junk.

I'm also getting very good results using this Powerex charger with same brand 2500 mAh batteries. The batteries charge fully in about 2 hours a pair and they barely get warm. I don't have run times yet (just got the unit yesterday from gp32z,) but I've been playing Frodo, NES, and a little SNES for I'd say a few hours and the batteries are at midum.

Thanks for the link to the findercleaner!

I can't get my gp2x to mount on a mac, but can use it fine with just an SD card.

Also I see no point in formatting my card in FAT32 because that is meant for drives that are over the size of 2gb (which the gp2x does not support) so FAT16 seems to do the trick, but then again I do have a brick..... :rolleyes:

Back