Mac Compatability

smorkinlabbit

Still Fresh
Hi there,

I'm totally new to all this, so apologies for being really simple when it comes to the GP2X - this is my first ever post.

Also, I've searched for over an hour before resulting to ask this, so I'm also sorry if theres already info available - I just couldn't find it!

Basically, I'm one of those bloody Mac users, and before I fork out the cash for a GP2X, I want to know how compatibility will effect me. Just two really basic things.

When it comes to downloading games and software, will my Mac be a problem, or can I just download the stuff off the net and use it hassle free?

Also, I've got tons of SD cards, so I like the idea of storing music on some of them. On my Mac, I have plently of MP3s. Would there be any problems with moving these on to my GP2X and listening to them? Is there a built in music player that could play Mac Mp3s, or is does one exist that I could download on to the GP2X?

I'd be really greatful for any help.

Cheers

Will Freeman

No problem at all - if you've got a USB SD card reader, just plug it in and you can stick stuff on it using the Finder. Stick it back in the the GP2X, and away you go...

MP3's aren't specific for the mac, or PC, so the built in music player just plays them...

Works for me (G4 powerbook) 100% anyway...

Also, I've got tons of SD cards, so I like the idea of storing music on some of them. On my Mac, I have plently of MP3s. Would there be any problems with moving these on to my GP2X and listening to them? Is there a built in music player that could play Mac Mp3s, or is does one exist that I could download on to the GP2X?

Also make sure that your "mp3s" aren't AAC encoded. Examples *.m4p (Stuff you buy from the iTunes store) *m4a (Default ripping and encoding on iTunes). Those won't work on the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
make sure though, that you use a sepperate card reader since the gp2x has lousy usb connectivity under windows and probably worse under mac.

Thanks all - that's a great help!! I feel cheeky asking yet another question, but can anyone recommend a decent SD card reader?

Cheers

Will

Just so you know - it is mac compatible. As long as you have firmware v.2.0.

It connects to my powerbook just fine.

Just switch on the GP2x before you plug in the usb, then plug it in and then go to the connection utility on the GP2X and switch the usb connection on. It will then mount on the desktop (or just in your finder window if you've got OSX set like that)

- I am assuming you use OSX and your mac is switched on before you attempt all these steps...

- see, I do know something after all...

Rick

No any broblem on my iBook G4, using USB printer as a card reader.

I have a mac and it works great. I use this 5 in 1 SanDisk card reader I picked at BestBuy.

I highly recomned using FinderCleaner though as it removes all the invisable files OSX puts on your SD card (like .ds and .trashes)
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16996

Just put it in your dock and then drag the SD card to it, program removes all the unwanted files, click eject when it comes out and then just remove the SD card. It works great.

I've had only two difficulties using my '2X with my mac running Panther (luckily I have easy access to a pc for these issues):

1. Working with playstation game rips (preparing for possible playability with future updates of the emulator.) There's no way on a mac [Edit: I mean, no way with OS X ;) ] that I found to compress a psx game down to a size suitable for SD cards.

2. Properly formatting an sd card to FAT32. I think there is a way to do it, but it's a lot more complicated than doing it on windows.

What reallynotnick said about FinderCleaner is seconded. :)

Eventually you'll probably want to start working with scripts. Textwrangler is freeware which will create the proper unix line ending format required.

Back