Gp2x Packs?!

OliG

Still Fresh
there are so many packs for the gp2x! the power pack (gp2x.co.uk), the value pack (gp2x.com) and loads more... my question which one is the best and which one has the most stuff with it??

there are so many packs for the gp2x! the power pack (gp2x.co.uk), the value pack (gp2x.com) and loads more... my question which one is the best and which one has the most stuff with it??

Well, as far as I know at least..

The Power Pack is simply a gp2x that has been tested and guaranteed to work at the higher overclock ranges. It comes with an extra screen protector.

The Value pack is the one I chose. It is an official boxed set released by GPH, and it has a newer firmware along with many other goodies.

It comes with:
Headphones
Pouch (15$)
Handstrap (10$)
4 GP2X Rechargables (12$)
Headphones (?$)

Even so, of the stuff that is priced seperately, that's 37$ total. Already that's a 17$ value. That is not counting the games and the headphones.

You also get the most recent build of the unit with a new firmware and skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, I'm pretty sure GPH's new 'value pack' isn't for sale anywhere yet. Maybe Korea if you can figure out how to order from them on their difficult-to-understand web site.

If the 'new firmware' has any enhancement, it just looks different-- it isn't actually improved in any substantial way. The pack-in items are not exactly deal-makers-- the 'pouch' is the old crummy case (any DS or PSP case really does the job better), the handstrap .. well, I don't see what it's good for at all except hanging off the unit, the headphones AFAIK no one's seen so no one can attest to their quality. As for the rechargable batteries, again, probably cheapo batteries. NO CHARGER is included and the GP2X cannot charge batteries. So you may as well just buy some good Duracell 2650mah batteries and a charger, they are sold together in a pack at many stores. Useful pack-ins would be a power brick and a TV out cable, but they aren't included. :rolleyes:

As for GP2X.co.uk's "power pack" with a unit tested for higher speeds, they don't always work at that speed and had to be scaled back significantly marketing-wise because of it. If you buy a normal unit from gp2x.co.uk you are guaranteed to get one that was tested not to work at a decent overclocked speed.

So, I'd consider the best option to just buy any old MK2 and the accessories you need (probably AC Adapter and/or TV out cable) from the US (gp2xstore or something along those lines) or German distributors (evildragon's store).

Auritribe: As far as the 'latest build of the unit'... I'm sure it's just an MK2 like any other.

First off, I'm pretty sure GPH's new 'value pack' isn't for sale anywhere yet. Maybe Korea if you can figure out how to order from them on their difficult-to-understand web site.

If the 'new firmware' has any enhancement, it just looks different-- it isn't actually improved in any substantial way. The pack-in items are not exactly deal-makers-- the 'pouch' is the old crummy case (any DS or PSP case really does the job better), the handstrap .. well, I don't see what it's good for at all except hanging off the unit, the headphones AFAIK no one's seen so no one can attest to their quality. As for the rechargable batteries, again, probably cheapo batteries. NO CHARGER is included and the GP2X cannot charge batteries. So you may as well just buy some good Duracell 2650mah batteries and a charger, they are sold together in a pack at many stores. Useful pack-ins would be a power brick and a TV out cable, but they aren't included. :rolleyes:

As for GP2X.co.uk's "power pack" with a unit tested for higher speeds, they don't always work at that speed and had to be scaled back significantly marketing-wise because of it. If you buy a normal unit from gp2x.co.uk you are guaranteed to get one that was tested not to work at a decent overclocked speed.

So, I'd consider the best option to just buy any old MK2 and the accessories you need (probably AC Adapter and/or TV out cable) from the US (gp2xstore or something along those lines) or German distributors (evildragon's store).

Auritribe: As far as the 'latest build of the unit'... I'm sure it's just an MK2 like any other.

I got the value pack off gp2xstore.com

I'm sure the batteries are cheapo batteries, but everything I've read indicates they're the GPH produced ones sold on the same site as 12$. For better or worse.

I'm just saying, whether they're good or bad, most likely bad as you say, you're still getting those products at 17$ less than you would have if you had bought them seperately.

I got the value pack off gp2xstore.com

I'm sure the batteries are cheapo batteries, but everything I've read indicates they're the GPH produced ones sold on the same site as 12$. For better or worse.

I'm just saying, whether they're good or bad, most likely bad as you say, you're still getting those products at 17$ less than you would have if you had bought them seperately.
Comes with:
Gp2x console
4 games
Noiz (shooting game)
Flobopuyo (puzzle game)
Supertux (platform game)
Vektar (shooting game)
Manual
USB Cable
Headphones
Console Pouch
Handstrap
4 Rechargeable batteries
Free SD Card reader!

thanks very much auritribe, its in the post :D

My point is, the lack of a value comes from the fact that most of the 'bonus items' are not things worth buying like the shitty case, useless handstrap, etc. It's money better put toward an AC brick and TV out adapter

I think the case is very nice. :ph34r:
Now I don't have to carry the GP2X around in that plastic baggie it came in. :lol:

My point is, the lack of a value comes from the fact that most of the 'bonus items' are not things worth buying like the shitty case, useless handstrap, etc. It's money better put toward an AC brick and TV out adapter

I actually agree with this.

I'd say if you HAD to choose between an AC Brick, and the stuff in the value pack, for the same price. I'd go with the AC Brick any day.

Fortunately I ordered everything XD not everyone can be so fortunate.

Yah, the AC adapter and TV-out cable are more valuable than the extra items in the Value Pack.

Back