Gp2x Running Off Of Usb Hub

Japa

Still Fresh
I recently got a powered USB hub, made for a computer, and stuckaGP2x plug on it, soldering all the wires where I thought they should, and when I plugged everything in to see what it all looked like, the gp2x started booting up (I didn't actually have any batteries in it) even though it was switched off. (it doesn't finish booting up, because the adapter for the hub is only 1A)

so, my question is, is it healthy to run my gp2x this way, or do I need to dis-connect some wires?

or could I have been going in the completely wrong direction here, by doing a direct cable replacement?

someone talked about this before I don't remember all the info but im pretty sure the final verdict was not safe. It was something like you are running power in a direction the device was not designed for, so there is no protection against it. I don't remember I'm sure someone else knows more about it. Or search

Basically putting power through the EXT port means you are not going through the GP2X's voltage regulator... Which smooths out irregularities, keeping the voltage uniform.
Now it may power your 2X and all may look well, but if you get a surge or something, then the possibility of frying chips is there...

That's not the problem...you are sending power into pins where power is supposed to come out of...bad idea.

Or depending on your wiring it could be worse...you could be sending power into pins where data is supposed to go through...really bad idea.

Yeah, I kinda figured it wasn't too good, particularly giving 5 volts back through a pin that's supposed to be supplying 3....

on the other hand, is there any special circuitry that's needed for this general setup?

Back