Gp2x Serial Cable Needed Please

I'll write the 'bricking' guide then ;). Got two lovely korean bricks now, one unrepairable even with a serial lead, and the other bricked because of the serial adapter falling to pieces and as it's a dev board it's useless without being able to log in. Good old GPH - they make great consoles, but they're fucking useless with a soldering iron :angry:
Guess you can sell one of them to Pie Man!

So what state is the devkit serial adaptor in? Not repairable with some re-soldering?

Apparently Craig has no more serial adaptors or connectors. So its off to DJ with it probably (thanks). If I eventually get a serial adaptor I'll do my community service by unbricking a couple!

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess there's more to this than just a specially wired serial cable of some sort? What else is involved - PC side software? Is this why it waits (IIRC) for 3 seconds on startup for a character over the serial port?

It'd be cool if this aspect of the system could be as open as general development is. I know there are very good reasons not to write to the NAND flash excessively, but it would be nice to be able to experiment a bit in that area and have a fallback plan in case it all goes wrong.

I guess there's more to this than just a specially wired serial cable of some sort? What

Well, the GP2X is 3.3V, whereas a PC is +/- 10V, so a level shifter like a MAX3232 is required, but that's pretty much all. PC Software wise, any terminal emulator will do, but your best with one that supports Kermit if your transferring kernels, file systems, or other binary files.

else is involved - PC side software? Is this why it waits (IIRC) for 3 seconds on startup for a character over the serial port?

Only devboards wait 3 seconds. Retail units wait for about 100ms. If any character is received during that time, you are dumped into a uboot prompt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've no idea with the gp2x because I haven't got one (or even seen one) yet... but it's usual with boot-loaders to output a single character at the start of the wait period (ASCII 16 is common... an XON... but some systems use a visible character) rather than make the other system just guess when you might be ready.

As I say they though... I don't know if Uboot does that... I suppose I should get the source and look :lol:

Back