Gp2x Tv Out - Pal Or Ntsc?

cyclone5uk

Still Fresh
At the risk of sounding stupid, I wondered if anyone could help me out with an explanation:

Last night I finally fixed my GP2X cradle (long story, don't ask!). When I set the TV out on the GP2X I naturally set it to PAL, as I have a PAL TV and live in the UK. However when I played on GPFCE something was wrong with the sound, music sounded slow and just plain wrong (the frequencies were all over the place). Later I set the TV out to NTSC and it solved the problem. GPCFE played fine and the sound was now correct speed and no weird noises.

So would someone explain why I had to set the GP2X TV out to NTSC even though I’m in the UK using a PAL television?

I can hazard a guess, although this may well be completely wrong -

GPFCE is an NES emulator. NES games come in two different flavours PAL and NTSC, depending on their country of origin/intended country of play.

I'm guessing here that the game you were playing was an NTSC (American/Japan version), rather than the Euro/Aus PAL version. The emulator is sending out the image in the same format as the original game.

Although, like I said, that may well not be the case. Perhaps you've got your NTSC/PAL switch round the wrong way? :p

Ah, good point. I was probably playing NTSC rom images through GPFCE but with PAL output on the TV.

Is GPFCE set to NTSC by default? I know a different emulator I used to use on my PC had the option to play an NTSC rom and then emualte it as PAL (slowed it from 60hz down to 50hz).

Back