Gp2x Vs Pda

wywong

Still Fresh
I am new to this forum. I thought I posted this message yesterday but it seems to have disppeared so I post it again:

A few questions:

a. a lot of PDAs, including many on Pocket PC and Palm platform, can run Linux. Does that mean they can run GP2X software? If not, why?

b. when playing GP2X games on TV, what is the maximum resolution? Do most games support that resolution?

c. has anyone success in surfing the internet with GP2X? I have PC, broadband, Wifi and bluetooth USB adaptors. What extra hardware and software do I need to connect GP2X to the internet?

Many TIAs

Wai Wong

Wai Wong posted on Jul 14 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
I am new to this forum. I thought I posted this message yesterday but it seems to have disppeared so I post it again:

A few questions:

a. a lot of PDAs, including many on Pocket PC and Palm platform, can run Linux. Does that mean they can run GP2X software? If not, why?

b. when playing GP2X games on TV, what is the maximum resolution? Do most games support that resolution?

c. has anyone success in surfing the internet with GP2X? I have PC, broadband, Wifi and bluetooth USB adaptors. What extra hardware and software do I need to connect GP2X to the internet?

Many TIAs

Wai Wong
The PDA won't run the software for the GP2X mainly because the kernal is modified for the arm processor on the gp2x. Just because a system is running linux doesn't mean its running the same flavor of linux. Not to say you couldn't find simular things for a pda of your choice.

I believe the max res is 640X480 and I don't know if most games support it I know some of the emus do.

There is a web browser and such if you use xserver and some other stuff. I have seen some pictures of people in the forum hooking up to a wireless usb through a powered usb hub, I don't know if they have gotten web browser working but I would think so. Though I'm not sure what people want web browsing on gp2x for. Multiplayer games would be cool though.

Oh I dunno if I'm correct on the resolution I believe it says on the gp2x.com site or something but I'm too lazy to look. I mainly post because I'm lonely. Best thing to do is run through some of the forums. I read through tons before I bought mine, and I think its the right choice. nothing beats telneting into it and hacking around stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wai Wong posted on Jul 14 2006 at 03:55 PM said:

A few questions:

See my sig, if it has that chip and you can figure out how to get that firmware to load and your PDA has a flash firmware and it is using the same extraneous hardware, then yes.
I personally would just compile it for your PDA target with hacks as appropriate.
The max resolution of the Conexant encoder device inside the GP2X is 1024x768@60hz for VGA or RGB HD. But GPH in infinite wisdom (hah!) decided to only do S-Video support (why, losers?) and therefore we only get full TV resolution (Different for NTSC and PAL) unless somebody is willing to show us how to make the RGB come off with a mod (should be like a mod-chip but with 3 wires or so).
Yes, there are quite a few tutorials and ways, even a guy on WiFi connected to the 'net. Simplest is to turn on the USB network and connect to your PC, it will find a "network device" once it is installed bridge ("share") your PC's internet connection.

Qtopia is a PDA Linux OS that has been ported with Opera for a browser(My mouse works in it :)). Also X11 and GPE desktop with a browser, and my mouse and keyboard work under X11 (USB on the bottom port of GP2X)
Many TIAs

Wai Wong
NP. I think it is just really hard to search this forum, use a google search with the site modifier: site:www.gp32x.de/board

For instance: browser site:www.gp32x.de/board in the Google.com search bar should turn up information of interest to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back