Gp2x Wiz As Mp3 Player/media Player

cherrycyanide

Website
Visit site
Would the GP2X WIZ make a decent MP3/media player? I like the touch screen the gaming and the processing power (I'm sure the second d-pad will be fixed). I have a SmartQ t5II now but I think that the Wiz with its emulators and homebrew will blow it out of the water. What is the size difference and the advantages of the Wiz vs. the SmartQ?? I would really like to have the GP2x because I owned the F100 and F200... :D
Thanks

Wiz has the hardware potential to be a good media player, but the 2.5mm headphone jack makes it unweildy, having a tumor of a converter or crappy proprietary headphones.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Wiz has the hardware potential to be a good media player, but the 2.5mm headphone jack makes it unweildy, having a tumor of a converter or crappy proprietary headphones.
Not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes true. It COMES with crappy proprietary headphones. If you wanna upgrade to a nice pair like the ones shown there, it'll cost you more than it would for a 3.5mm pair of the same caliber. They're also not readily available. You can't just give me a link to a pair of headphones and immediately dispel the fact that a 2.5mm headphone jack is a problem.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Yes true. It COMES with crappy proprietary headphones. If you wanna upgrade to a nice pair like the ones shown there, it'll cost you more than it would for a 3.5mm pair of the same caliber. They're also not readily available. You can't just give me a link to a pair of headphones and immediately dispel the fact that a 2.5mm headphone jack is a problem.
Eh? I wasn't dispelling the fact that the 2.5mm jack was a problem, I was correcting the statement you mode: "having a tumor of a converter or crappy proprietary headphones". You CAN buy decent 2.5mm jack-ed headphones, so you don't need a converter or use the included crappy (how about a link to crystal balls? :p) ones.

I see no reason it should be any worse than the GP2X. The SmartQ has a better battery life and supports more formats but if you want emulators/home brew the Wiz is better.

I'm very interested in using the Wiz as a music player.

It'll be interesting to see how long the battery lasts with the processor underclocked. OLED display too, so if you have a black background with a scrolly track name and a counter then the power drawn from the display will be pretty low.

Hopefully Gamepark haven't disabled booting from SD card this time. If they haven't it should be fairly straightforward to port Rockbox to the Wiz, then you could have a bootable Rockbox build (which can be pretty tiny) on each of your music cards. B)

http://www.rockbox.org/

Now it will be a 3.5mm jack, see the big ass thread on the fact that it will have buttons and a real headphone jack now.

iam also interested in using it as an mp3/media player but would need to know what the sound quality is like first of all.

i mean if its going to have sound quality like a sony ericcson walkman phone then it is not fit for purpose, but if its closer to that of a cowon mp3 player then im all over it.

anybody got any info regarding DAC or even personal comparisons?

I'm not an audio techie but I think the SQ is pretty good on the Wiz. A little flat, but the music player has no equalizer. Actually it has very little functionality at all, which is my concern. We need a new music player for this thing.

nubie posted on Sep 2 2008 at 05:11 PM said:
Now it will be a 3.5mm jack, see the big ass thread on the fact that it will have buttons and a real headphone jack now.
I confirm the comercial wiz has 3.5 mm jack connector

b1ueskycomp1ex posted on May 28 2009 at 04:59 PM said:
Way to resurrect an ancient thread. =/
Hey, if you're a well-behaved noobie, you search for threads before you post your questions. Who cares when the thread actually started.

;)

Promised Planet posted on May 28 2009 at 02:11 PM said:
Hey, if you're a well-behaved noobie, you search for threads before you post your questions. Who cares when the thread actually started.
;)

Well it was confusing for me when I opened this thread and the first half of it was talking about how the Wiz has a 2.5mm jack. This thread is now out dated and irrelevant.

CronoTriggerfan posted on Sep 2 2008 at 08:32 AM said:
Sorry if you were confused, I was talking about the out of the box experience of the Wiz.
There wasn't headphones in my wiz box...

blopdak posted on May 28 2009 at 06:24 PM) [quote="Promised Planet posted on May 28 2009 at 02:11 PM said:

;"]
Well it was confusing for me when I opened this thread and the first half of it was talking about how the Wiz has a 2.5mm jack. This thread is now out dated and irrelevant.[/quote]Never believe the earlier posts in a thread, Grasshopper.

Speaking of the Wiz headphones...how do you get them? I probably won't since I don't need any, but I saw them in all sorts of the promo pictures. Is GPH actually making some or was that just back when they were using the 2.5mm jack?

DurTahar posted on May 29 2009 at 12:24 AM said:
Speaking of the Wiz headphones...how do you get them? I probably won't since I don't need any, but I saw them in all sorts of the promo pictures. Is GPH actually making some or was that just back when they were using the 2.5mm jack?
AFAIK, the wiz doesn't come with headphones anymore. At least mine didn't. =P

b1ueskycomp1ex posted on May 29 2009 at 07:44 PM said:
DurTahar posted on May 29 2009 at 12:24 AM said:
AFAIK, the wiz doesn't come with headphones anymore. At least mine didn't. =P
When it did come with headphones, were they any good? Most headphones that are packaged with portable devices aren't. Though I've heard rumors that the ones that come with some iRiver DAP models aren't bad.

Back