Gp2x Wiz Charging Time

Alex. posted on May 21 2009 at 09:34 AM said:
Did they take the LED off the charging cable? It was useful to know when the Wiz finished charging, the LED turned red->orange->green, and then you knew the battery was at 100%.
Does a blue LED (on the unit) indicate that the Wiz is fully charged, now?

The LEDs aren't documented in the users' manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
around 5 hours while the unit is on makes sense, and maybe 3 hours to charge from a completely dead battery while the unit is off. LED is orange/red when the unit is charging, blue when it's done charging. If the unit is on and charging at the same time, the LED turns pink/purple (orange/red + Blue at the same time)

Do new charging cables work with old Wizes, or did GPH make some changes besides the cosmetic ones?

Most people seem to report 3-5 hour charging times, which are about three times less than what it takes my old model from November.

Do new charging cables work with old Wizes, or did GPH make some changes besides the cosmetic ones?
Most people seem to report 3-5 hour charging times, which are about three times less than what it takes my old model from November.

Both cables work with both old and new Wiz's. The only difference is the LED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I don't believe this to be true although it's my speculation based on the board revisions I have seen (4,5,6). The old charging cable has the LED because it also has the battery charging chip in the cable and it drives the LEDs. Starting from rev6, they put the charging chip inside the Wiz itself.

I've wondered if something would get fried using the different cables between Wiz revisions, but it sounds like they worked it out in hardware somehow. It still seems like a valid concern to bring up just in case.

I have tried both cables on both Wiz's and both charge each one! In fact I gave my official cable to iprice when I sent him my pre production wiz, and I kept my cable with the LED for my production Wiz.

Back