Gp2X Wiz / Clrmamepro Question

El Sparko

Still Fresh
Hi there

I was pointed in the direction of this forum by someone as they said you'd probably be able to help, looking around, its looking hopeful

I'm a complete newbie to the world of emulation, much preferring to play the games on the actual consoles, but then I saw the GP2X Wiz and decided I had to have one.

I'm trying to run the MAME4All 2.5 software thats ported to the Wiz, but I'm having some trouble getting the ROMs to work. As I understand it, they need to be but through a converter called clrmamepro, but I can't seem to find my way around it and the documentation isn't very useful (seemingly aimed at someone with experience). Could anyone offer some advice or even point me in the direction of a layman's tutorial?

The main problem I seem to be having is that a tutorial I was using (which went past being layman to the point of 'no help what-so-ever) told me I needed 'split-sets' selected in the scanner (I haven't a clue what this means), but that option is greyed out :-S

Thank you for any help you can give

ES

Nonono! You don't need any converter :). Mame is an emulator of Arcade Machines, hence the name (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) The roms you download are zipped files. These files must be placed in the Roms folder of Mame. Do not unzip the files. Do not rename the files. If you're trying to run any Neo-Geo arcade games - you will need a bios for that.

To check what games are supported in Mame - read the gamelist.txt file. It contains the game names AND the names of the zipped files. If you have any questions - feel free to ask :) Good luck!

Thank you so much Mr.TwisT

When I first tried putting ROMs in, I was unzipping them as its just the natural reaction with everything else I've ever done. Then I read in the readme all about this converter and just assumed that this was something I needed to do then that didn't work :-S

Again, thanks a lot.

ES

Actually you need to convert if you have the latest/new rom set. However clrmamepro is hopelessly complex. So you're really better off searching for the actual romset, which is 0.38. Or was it 0.36? Anyway, get whatever search gives you with 'mame wiz romset' and don't bother with the conversion.

Back