Gp2X Wiz Doom - Pwad

Akai

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,
I have a GP2X Wiz and so far, I couldn't play doom using PWADs.
Does anyone know if there is a homebrew for the Wiz that runs doom and accepts PWADs?
Thank you!

Akai said:
Hi everyone,
I have a GP2X Wiz and so far, I couldn't play doom using PWADs.
Does anyone know if there is a homebrew for the Wiz that runs doom and accepts PWADs?
Thank you!

Hi,

Did you try to modify the .gpe files that launch Doom? For example, the contents of Doom2.gpe are the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
./prboom -config prboom.cfg -iwad doom2.wad > prboom.log.txt 2>&1
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

You can copy this file with another name (like Doom2Foo.gpe) and edit it to look like the following:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
./prboom -config prboom.cfg -iwad doom2.wad -file your_pwad_file_here.wad > prboom.log.txt 2>&1
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

You'll have to use Notepad++ or any other text editor that has support for Unix line breaks (it won't work with the normal notepad).

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some WADs here for download (and some nice icons!): http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51427-2-new-additions-to-the-prboom-wad-collection
Cheers, Neil

Akai said:
Thank you very much jcom and Neil!!
It works! :)

Feel free to share any working pwads you find. I've tested a lot of WAD files, the ones I posted in that other topic were the best out of the ones I found working. There was a cool Batman Doom conversion I found, but sadly it didn't appear that there was any way to get past the first level, at least not on the Wiz. Plus some of the character animations were messed up.

fett42 said:
Akai said:
Thank you very much jcom and Neil!!
It works! :)

Feel free to share any working pwads you find. I've tested a lot of WAD files, the ones I posted in that other topic were the best out of the ones I found working. There was a cool Batman Doom conversion I found, but sadly it didn't appear that there was any way to get past the first level, at least not on the Wiz. Plus some of the character animations were messed up.

try adding
echo 2 > /proc/cpu/alignment

there are misalignments in prboom

Plutonia 2 is working, you can download the wad through their website: http://www.rabotik.nl/pluto2.html
One important detail though, with plutonia 2, don't use doom2.wad as your iwad, use plutonia.wad

Pickle said:
try adding

there are misalignments in prboom

Would you kindly tell me where I should add this?

Replace your PrBoom.gpe content with the following script and save it with Unix end of line format:

#!/bin/sh
./picklelauncher
echo 0 > /proc/cpu/alignment
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec ./gp2xmenu

This way all pwads (at least all the ones I tried) will work fine.
I added an extra 'echo 0 > /proc/cpu/alignment' (default value) on app exit because leaving '2' in alignment file may result in having other apps behave weirdly through the same session (Temper for instance becomes jerky with the echo left to 2). Therefore, after being modified, memory alignment should always be restored to its default value ('0') on app exit to avoid that.

Useful tips:
- by default pwads have to be placed in /prboom/master/ folder to be recognized as pwads (and not iwads). If you want to change the name of this directory, edit your profile.txt file too. That way, you won't have to create a gpe script for each pwad as all of them will be launchable as pwads directly in Pickle launcher.
- to eliminate tearing in PrBoom, copy last version of 'libSDL-1.2.so.0' file in 'prboom' folder. Download link (take the 'fast' version):
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,271

Last edited:
Back