Gp2x Woes

Virus

Still Fresh
First off, ordered my GP2X on the 25'th Oct on pre order. Arrived 25'th Nov with none of the goodies promised. Open it up, the box has been already opened, and was in a poor state.

Thankfully the unit was intact. However, the USB cable is faulty. Got in touch with Gamepark Holdings and they sent me a free card reader to resolve the problem.

Now, all's well on that front. However, I can run video, run music, open pictures. (Not tried ebook yet, what format(s) can it read?) However, whenever I try to run a emulator (from the disk that was sent me with the console) all I get is a blank screen. Tried running the "Abe" game I downloaded from this site, again only a blank screen.

Tried updating the the firmware by running it (once extracted and having deleted the mplayer update) from the Utility section. The screen went blank, flickered and then back to normal. Checked the Settings for the version and it's now version 1.0.1. Has the update been sucessful?

Either way, I still can't run any games! Is there a fix to this or shall I just send the GP2X back for a replacement/refund and be done with it?

I can a short video and/or pictures of the console and the problem that happens if it would help anyone?

Thank for your time and I hope for a fix shortly! :)

hey i had the same prob untill deadlychiken toled me that U NEED THE SDL LIBARARIES INSTALLED get it from the gp2x file archive and unzip the folder and put all the files to the root directory of your sd card with your sdwriter (shame i went and bought one insted of complaining bout my faulty usb) then run the file and u should get a black screen or a loading bar or somthing then it will go back to the main menu thing tada!! now u can run emus

Lettuce Dude posted on Dec 5 2005 at 06:25 PM said:
hey i had the same prob untill deadlychiken toled me that U NEED THE SDL LIBARARIES INSTALLED get it from the gp2x file archive and unzip the folder and put all the files to the root directory of your sd card with your sdwriter (shame i went and bought one insted of complaining bout my faulty usb) then run the file and u should get a black screen or a loading bar or somthing then it will go back to the main menu thing tada!! now u can run emus

Did the following and tried to run the NeoGeo emu, but it just did the normal black screen, but then went back to the main screen. Tried the Nes emu, and I now have a white screen. Pressing the start button takes me back to the main menu. Not tried with the others, but I can if anyone would like me to.

Abe's Amazing Adventure now runs though, so going to have a quick blast at it! - Had a quick blast, and the menu at the top takes up half the screen, and the controls are not very responsive. But meh.. good fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man your ahead of me i have the 'first edition' i cant up grade my firmware because i have an upsupported memory card ... sigh.

As for emu's goin black when you start it sounds like you dont have the SDL libraries! .... go get them at

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?...,0,31,869"

Virus posted on Dec 5 2005 at 05:15 PM said:
First off, ordered my GP2X on the 25'th Oct on pre order. Arrived 25'th Nov with none of the goodies promised. Open it up, the box has been already opened, and was in a poor state.

Thankfully the unit was intact. However, the USB cable is faulty. Got in touch with Gamepark Holdings and they sent me a free card reader to resolve the problem.

Now, all's well on that front. However, I can run video, run music, open pictures. (Not tried ebook yet, what format(s) can it read?) However, whenever I try to run a emulator (from the disk that was sent me with the console) all I get is a blank screen. Tried running the "Abe" game I downloaded from this site, again only a blank screen.

Tried updating the the firmware by running it (once extracted and having deleted the mplayer update) from the Utility section. The screen went blank, flickered and then back to normal. Checked the Settings for the version and it's now version 1.0.1. Has the update been sucessful?

Either way, I still can't run any games! Is there a fix to this or shall I just send the GP2X back for a replacement/refund and be done with it?

I can a short video and/or pictures of the console and the problem that happens if it would help anyone?

Thank for your time and I hope for a fix shortly! :)

Thanks for the replys. I'm using a Viking Interworks 1GB SD card. I'll try it again later. I'm not very happy with the battery life to be honest. Put in a brand new pair of Panasonic XTREAM power batterys, listened to a few MP3's for no more than half an hour and the screen died and the music made a screeching noise (ie: dead batterys).

I've just bought some 2000mA rechargable batterys. Hopefully, these will last a little longer. :)

Virus posted on Dec 5 2005 at 01:22 PM said:
Thanks for the replys. I'm using a Viking Interworks 1GB SD card. I'll try it again later. I'm not very happy with the battery life to be honest. Put in a brand new pair of Panasonic XTREAM power batterys, listened to a few MP3's for no more than half an hour and the screen died and the music made a screeching noise (ie: dead batterys).

I've just bought some 2000mA rechargable batterys. Hopefully, these will last a little longer. :)

I'm noticing a lot of problems rising from poor batteries...

Does the system have some sort of battery monitor? or some other notification system aside from a crash / screen going blank?...

It seems a little silly to me.

hey man i have played my final fantasy 3 on my gpx *glee* anyhow i noticed on alkeline batteries it SUCKS even the hi mA batteries.

My recomendation is to purchase some nice Energizer NiMH 2500 mA rechargables
i usually get about 6 hours out of a set o'batteries. i played mp3s at work for about errr at least 5 hours. anyhow the thing that kills the life on these babies seems to be farting around with it and restarting it over and over ..... i was trying to update the firmware.

... anyhow yeah use energizer NiMH 2500 mA rechargable batteries!

Virus posted on Dec 5 2005 at 08:22 PM said:

Back