Gp2xcc 0.50b - Public Released

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
GP2Xcc is a replacement application launcher.
I've gone out of my way to make it quick and easy to set-up, and gave it extremely powerful skinning features. Thusfar it's marginally functional, and growing by leaps and bounds. I am just about to start work on the file manager functionality, and thought now would be a good time to release a proof-of-concept release.

Full package including source is available on the archive here:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,7,1819

Any input is of course welcome.

Looking at the different skins that come with it, it seems to be pretty versatile and really well-moddable. The default skin has the type selector at the bottom as a vertical scrollwheel, another has it as text on the right side of the screen, and yet another (the prettiest, IMHO) has it at the top as a semi-horizontal scrollwheel..

Nice. :)

I support this project. In my opinion menu of GP2X should be highly customisable and should look astonishing. Sound effects, clicks, transitions, animated wall papers... I would reserve my whole NAND memory for for all these. B)

First impression is important. I'd like to see people impressed with GP2X's menu.

Go mindlord! :D We are waiting for progress and updates soon.

starpause posted on Sep 25 2006 at 12:29 AM said:
on the desktop, linux users flame over KDE vs GNOME.

on the handheld, linux users flame over gp2xcc and gmenu2x B)
LOL an the upcomming new one ;), three concurent ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
errgggh.. the NAME sucks!

please, please, i beg of you, rename it to something else that doesn't sound like its an on-board gp2x C compiler ..

torpor posted on Sep 25 2006 at 05:42 AM said:
errgggh.. the NAME sucks!

please, please, i beg of you, rename it to something else that doesn't sound like its an on-board gp2x C compiler ..

Consider the topic open for discussion, I'll take any suggestions seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're called mindlord, and your program is a menu...

MindMenu
A menu into your mind!

I would hope not to change the name too much.
Perhaps:
GP2Xms - Menuing System
GP2Xal+ - Application Launcher Plus
GP2Xm3 - Mindlord's Menu Manager
GP2Xsc - System Commander
GP2Xsb+ - GP2X System Browser Plus

I dunno... I really liked the simplicity of
GP2Xcc - Control Center

But I agree with Torpor, in retrospect, it was a poor choice

May I suggest (at the risk of losing control of my own chosen prefix for GP2X projects) the following:

gipiMENU

Name change - I'm officially changing the name of the GP2Xcc project to Sycophant - for 3 reasons.
I agree with Torpor
Sycophant is a pretty cool word with an appopriate meaning - a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite.
Sycophant is about the only project name not already taken on sourceforge. :)

Be alert for a new release in the next few days.

-- Things that have been added/fixed in the upcoming version:
FASTER! A whole lot faster, like 4 times faster than before. Were talkin' 68 VW beetle versus 2002 Ford Mustang faster. Thanks to my finally figuring out what the hell I was doing to make hardware surfaces not work, and some checking for skipping layers that are offscreen.

Context Sensitive menus - for those menu specific operations, like adding groups, bookmarks, etc.

An acceptable and improving file manager supporting the renaming, copying, deleting, and moving of files (not folders yet), with a simple to use two column layout, with uncomplicated usage.

Skinnable on-screen keyboard that supports any layout desired, including multinational ones. Although only English has been created at this point, more can be added with very little effort.

-- Stuff still in the tubes:
Total access control panel, for configuring all aspects of the GP2X, from networking to mount points, appearance and themes, and more fine tuned control over launching applications.

More intelligent icon handling, so each skin doesn't need to carry a whole slew of icons around with it, and icon caching to conserve memory, and hopefully improve speed.

-- Other stuff:
As always I'm looking for suggestions and improvements to this project. I will continue to admit that I only barely know what I'm doing. I'm sure that many aspects of this frontend could be improved under a more talented eye.

i dont mean to be rude or critizise your work, but after (very quickly i admit) looking through the code, it appears alot harder to extend than gmenu2x. gmenu2x looks more clean.

Back