Gp2xpectrum 1.2b3

Metalbrain

Still Fresh
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I've been working on this Spectrum emulator and here's all changes I've made to the official version 1.1 so far:

- Added kounch changes in minimal lib to allow a better TV-Out
- Default key mapping changed:
[cut]
up > Q
down > A
left > O
right > P
A > SPC
B > M
X > ENTER
Y > 0
L > CAPS SHIFT
R > SYMBOL SHIFT
- L and R can be mapped to any other key, instead of being fixed to CAPS and SYMB
- You may assign a different path for games instead of /roms/spectrum , specifying it on a .ini file that's together with the program and has the same name
- Fixed a bug when loading some .z80 files with an uncompressed block
- L and R advance a page in games list (-25 and +25)
- Increased the maximum number of games from 512 to 10240

I'm waiting for Hermes to contact me before I call this version 1.2, but unless there are problems, I'm not planning on adding more features yet.

You can get the new version here:
http://www.speccy.org/metalbrain/GP2Xpectrum1.2b3.zip
[/cut]

Welcome and thank you for this. I hope the fact that only three, of the 180 people so far who viewed this post, have bothered to acknowledge your contribution does not deter you.

Come on people ! If his first post asked a dumb question, how may of you would have jumped at the opportunity to tell him to use the search ? Instead he brings a gift. Show some support fcs.

sand_man posted on Aug 9 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
Sorry I dont even know what a spectrum is.

A Spectrum was one of the most popular home computers in the UK and was also popular in some other countries.

To many people here the Speccy (as it was known) was their first computer ever so a lot of people from the UK will have fond memories of this. In the UK it battled with the Commodore 64 which was also huge in America.

Before a PC or SNES/NES/other console it was a battle between the Sinclair Spectrum and the C64.

You can download many games for the Speccy from the archive at www.worldofspectrum.org (all legal also) , theres some great arcade conversions (Bombjack, Commando) and some great original games.

When you think the author had just 48k for a Spectrum game to work with its amazing the games they could create. The graphics arent always brilliant, sound is normally poor but the games back then were all about playability and theres many great games for it.

I dont know about you but i LOVE trying new games for systems i never had. I never had a PC Engine, MSX or Colecovision but i love trying out new games for it.

Thanks a ton Metalbrain for the emulator !!!

Without a Speccy emulator i probably wouldnt buy a GP2X. The emulator works very well, cant wait to try this latest version

Great stuff !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great work! The speccy was my starting place too! Many thanks for this.

Good to see you have bought a GP2x, PSJ!

WhizzBang posted on Aug 9 2006 at 06:57 PM said:
Does it still write to NAND?

Oh, sorry, I didn't know it was an issue until I saw the wiki page today. GP2Xpectrum doesn't use the NAND by itself, but it's compressed with gpecomp, and it seems the compressed file uses the NAND to store the uncompressed copy before execution. I've just uploaded the uncompressed version here:

http://www.speccy.org/metalbrain/GP2Xpectrum1.2b3u.zip

Metalbrain posted on Aug 11 2006 at 08:10 PM said:
WhizzBang posted on Aug 9 2006 at 06:57 PM said:
Does it still write to NAND?

Oh, sorry, I didn't know it was an issue until I saw the wiki page today. GP2Xpectrum doesn't use the NAND by itself, but it's compressed with gpecomp, and it seems the compressed file uses the NAND to store the uncompressed copy before execution. I've just uploaded the uncompressed version here:

http://www.speccy.org/metalbrain/GP2Xpectrum1.2b3u.zip

Thank you!

lubidog posted on Aug 9 2006 at 04:02 PM said:
This is great work! The speccy was my starting place too! Many thanks for this.

Good to see you have bought a GP2x, PSJ!

The speccy was my starting place too. When I got my speccy in 1984, it would have been hard to imagine I would one day be able to play Jetpac, Atic Atac etc anywhere I go. Thanks Metalbrain, great emulator!

Back