Gp32 And Gp2x Newsgroup Flood

christo930

Can someone do a flood of the gp32 games? My pc's hard disk failed and I don't feel like downloading all the software 1 at a time. Ditto for gp2x. There was a gp2x flood last year and I downloaded it, but it's gone now (both from my hard disk and the news server).
Maybe alt.binaries.emulators
That newsgroup is usually pretty quiet and you won't need to download a million headers.

Chris

A flood?

I'm afraid you've lost me.
He means on Usenet. It's a nice, retro-thing that Google Groups would desperately like to be. You can upload binary attachments (much like emails) that people can then download.

Anyway pretty much anything you need can be downloaded from the archive:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp32.cgi

Except for Giana's Return, although I have that on a back-up CD-R around here somewhere if you really want it.

You will be able to get the emulators that way, but not the ROM images. On Usenet, you can get the ROMs too, if someone posts them.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
A flood?

He means on Usenet. It's a nice, retro-thing that Google Groups would desperately like to be. You can upload binary attachments (much like emails"] that people can then download.

Except for Giana's Return, although I have that on a back-up CD-R around here somewhere if you really want it.[/quote]You will be able to get the emulators that way, but not the ROM images. On Usenet, you can get the ROMs too, if someone posts them.

D.

I'm not really interested in uploading ROMs for people. Besides, he asked for GP32 games, not ROMs or emulators.

Except for Giana's Return, although I have that on a back-up CD-R around here somewhere if you really want it.
As the GP32 version is pretty old and the new release is just days away, we prefer to not have the old version spread anymore!

Thanks!

Kojote/gianas-return.de^pdroms.de^speckdrumm.org

As the GP32 version is pretty old and the new release is just days away, we prefer to not have the old version spread anymore!

Thanks!

Wasn't it just days away from release just before xmas?

Usenet is far better for downloading than the web. With a newsreader you can download hundreds of files without individually downloading each one of them. I like to keep all the gpxx software local on my machine and since the crash I don't have them anymore and I don't feel like spending an entire day navigating the archive.

Chris

Usenet is far better for downloading than the web. With a newsreader you can download hundreds of files without individually downloading each one of them.
You can do that on the web too, and its far more efficient than usenet as the files are not transferred as text. So you download less and don't have to decode them after downloading them as a bonus.
However, the archive is there so you can download a few files at a time, put them on an sd card, play them, etc, go back for some more. Why would you want to download more than you can fit on a card?

(There are sites out there which have lots of gp2x files which you can download in one big multi-gigabyte lump, but I'll leave that as an exercise for you)

Thanks!

Wasn't it just days away from release just before xmas?

Usenet is far better for downloading than the web. With a newsreader you can download hundreds of files without individually downloading each one of them. I like to keep all the gpxx software local on my machine and since the crash I don't have them anymore and I don't feel like spending an entire day navigating the archive.

Chris
Well, I'm sorry about this, but in order to help you out there, I'd have to spend an entire day navigating the archive as well. :lol:

I guess you'll just have to wait for someone who's already downloaded everything to help you out.

A flood?

He means on Usenet. It's a nice, retro-thing that Google Groups would desperately like to be. You can upload binary attachments (much like emails"] that people can then download.

You will be able to get the emulators that way, but not the ROM images. On Usenet, you can get the ROMs too, if someone posts them.

D.[/quote]
I'm not really interested in uploading ROMs for people. Besides, he asked for GP32 games, not ROMs or emulators.

I'm fairly certain he suggested alt.binaries.emulators, but hey-ho, as you were.

D.

Usenet is far better for downloading than the web. With a newsreader you can download hundreds of files without individually downloading each one of them.
You can do that on the web too, and its far more efficient than usenet as the files are not transferred as text. So you download less and don't have to decode them after downloading them as a bonus.
However, the archive is there so you can download a few files at a time, put them on an sd card, play them, etc, go back for some more. Why would you want to download more than you can fit on a card?
(There are sites out there which have lots of gp2x files which you can download in one big multi-gigabyte lump, but I'll leave that as an exercise for you)

The days of having to unencode UU encoded files have been over for a long, long time. Even as early as 95 there were plenty of readers with file encoding/unencoding built in and with Yenc encoding, it is far more efficient than in the old days. Also, since there was a flood before, I figured someone could flood again without having to download all the files from the archive.
As far as the one big multi-gigabyte lump, are you talking bit torrent or 1 big 7zip or rar file or ISO?

Chris

A flood?

D.
I'm not really interested in uploading ROMs for people. Besides, he asked for GP32 games, not ROMs or emulators.[/quote]I'm fairly certain he suggested alt.binaries.emulators, but hey-ho, as you were.

D.

I wasn't asking for roms and I suggested alt.binaries.emulators because it's not a very busy group and emulator newsgroups is where the last flood was (alt.binaries.emulators.misc) but that is a really busy group that takes HOURS to download the headers if you aren't already subscribed.

Sounds like a job for wget or equivilents... :)

(not nice to EDs server so maybe ask first or do it off peak.. Like 5am so it's off peek most everywhere?

Jeff

jmetal88 said:

Thanks!

Ah, so are you confirming that it will still release for the GP32?

Looks like my question was answered over here:

http://forum.openhan...php?f=44&t=1065

Kojote said:
if we dont run into any major speed issues, we are pulling giana's return over to gp32 too, but no promise at all :"]
[/quote]Looks like a solid "We'll try" to me. :)

Back