Mame4all For Gp2x V1.2

StreaK said:
Im still occuring random freezes in varius games on MAME [ even on 1.2 ]. Its strange. Its always freeze whole gp2x [ not only emulation core ]. Any cure for that?
Decrease the overclocking. In my GP2X i can use 280 mhz without problems in other emulators (e.g. in my old MAME port), but i have to use 250 MHz in MAME4ALL, if i use higher frequencies the emu crashes...

bitbank said:
The code I released has a few minor issues, but I'm still working on improving it. I've recently added (but haven't released yet) GameGear SN76496 support to that code (which adds stereo+channel selection). I'm also working on an ARM asm AY38910. Please let me know if anyone is interested in these projects and perhaps we could collaborate on improving them further.

Thanks,
Larry B.
The 'beast' is the YM2151, you can take a look in the MAME4ALL source code (sound/ym2151.cpp). It uses about 40% of the CPU time emulating a game (much more than the M68000 or the Z80 cpu cores). It is used in a lot of games (cps1, m72, konami, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Franxis! Thanks again for this amazing version of MAME4ALL! It's really nice to finally play a lot of the Konami games I used to pump coins in at the arcades. I do have a question though. How do I get some NeoGeo games like Pulstar to run? I get a message saying that I need to allocate more ram. I figured as much since GNGEO needs the graphics to be dumped. I also notice MAME now uses the upper 64 megs of memory. Is this supposed to help some NeoGeo games like Pulstar or Blazing Star to run? How do I allocate more ram to run Pulstar and Blazing Star? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

geise69 said:
Hey Franxis! Thanks again for this amazing version of MAME4ALL! It's really nice to finally play a lot of the Konami games I used to pump coins in at the arcades. I do have a question though. How do I get some NeoGeo games like Pulstar to run? I get a message saying that I need to allocate more ram. I figured as much since GNGEO needs the graphics to be dumped. I also notice MAME now uses the upper 64 megs of memory. Is this supposed to help some NeoGeo games like Pulstar or Blazing Star to run? How do I allocate more ram to run Pulstar and Blazing Star? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Why wouldn't you just use GnGeo? It runs smoother for NeoGeo games.

geise69 said:
Yes, i know what's the problem is... It is a bug in the memory allocator/deallocator... it will be fixed in the next version... Thanks for the report. :)

Update: No, it isn't a bug in the memory allocator, it is more serious... Several Neo·Geo games need a memory chunk of about 30 Mb only for the graphic roms... In the previous port, they were 2 separated chunks of 15 Mb, this is because these roms run ok with it (one chunk was on the lower memory area and the other one in the upper memory area), but in the new MAME port it needs one of 30 Mb, and it is really complicated due to the limited GP2X RAM memory... I will try to tweak the code to be in the same way as the previous port, but i don't know if i will have success...

Franxis said:
geise69 said:
Yes, i know what's the problem is... It is a bug in the memory allocator/deallocator... it will be fixed in the next version... Thanks for the report. :)

Update: No, it isn't a bug in the memory allocator, it is more serious... Several Neo·Geo games need a memory chunk of about 30 Mb only for the graphic roms... In the previous port, they were 2 separated chunks of 15 Mb, this is because these roms run ok with it (one chunk was on the lower memory area and the other one in the upper memory area), but in the new MAME port it needs one of 30 Mb, and it is really complicated due to the limited GP2X RAM memory... I will try to tweak the code to be in the same way as the previous port, but i don't know if i will have success...

Sorry! I didn't know it was going to be a serious bug. :ph34r: :( I wouldn't work on it too much if it's going to be such a pain. Like DaveC said, I can always play it in GNGEO. I'm sure mostly everyone else does as well. I just have had SD card issues with games that have large cache dumps. They tend to get really choppy even when I OC too 280. That's also with the most recent beta of GNGEO. Anyways thanks for looking into it, and I wish you luck! Again I'm sorry to hear it's more serious. :(

dirtyrat229 said:
I have one question. Will we see either WWF Superstars or WWF Wrestlefest supported in any of the newer builds? Thank you Franxis. Keep up the good work.

wrestlefest wrestlefest wrestelfest ..................... the magic word :)

(superstars is lame.......)

geise69 said:
I just have had SD card issues with games that have large cache dumps. They tend to get really choppy even when I OC too 280. That's also with the most recent beta of GNGEO. Anyways thanks for looking into it, and I wish you luck! Again I'm sorry to hear it's more serious. :(
We all have SD issues with large games. There is not enough RAM to hold the whole game ROM plus run the game. SD access is a GP2X hardware problem.

DaveC said:
geise69 said:
I just have had SD card issues with games that have large cache dumps. They tend to get really choppy even when I OC too 280. That's also with the most recent beta of GNGEO. Anyways thanks for looking into it, and I wish you luck! Again I'm sorry to hear it's more serious. :(
We all have SD issues with large games. There is not enough RAM to hold the whole game ROM plus run the game. SD access is a GP2X hardware problem.

So you're having the same issues with Pulstar, Blazing Star, AOF3 stuttering like crazy? Not all large games with gfx dumps stutter really bad for me. The metal slug and kof games run fine. It's not a frameskipping issue either, cause it stutters no matter what the OC is. I remember Jycet saying he had some workaround accessing the cache. Something like loading the game once, accessing the cache then reloading the game and it worked fine. Not exactly sure how he did it. Anyways I'll stop since this is not a GNGEO thread.

Hey Franxis that's nice you're adding cheats and autofire! There's a couple shooters I wouldn't mind having autofire in since I can't pound the :gp2x button as fast as I can in the arcade.

Franxis said:
cheats and autofire... coming soon...
Yay for cheating on hard arcade games. I'm pretty terrible at most shooters so this well provide me with some good fun.

so has mame4all replaced gp2x mame? whats the diffrence, what should i use on a f200/

ihmedia said:
so has mame4all replaced gp2x mame? whats the diffrence, what should i use on a f200/
Yes. Mame4All is an updated version of gp2x MAME, and supports more games and has more features. Use MAME4ALL.

Does Jackal work for anyone in 1.2? It worked fine in 1.0, but when I try it now my GP2X just hangs at a black screen after "screen flipping is not supported" menu pops up. At first I thought it was an ASM core thing, but I get the same thing with them all disabled.

You must delete the highscore.dat or try to edit the file and erase the Jackal entry.

Regards,
Stephan

Wow, the new GP2X MAME looks more like the real Mame on PC, inclussive Mame-Menu ingame, nice. :)

I've tried some games, R-Type 1+2 and "leo" now work. Without sound sadly but at least they are playable. (Only R-Type Leo Displays unsupported Sound at start)
"1941" tend to crash randomly but this Game I can play with Final Burn Alpha, so no problem.
"Space Harrier" seems to be slower than in hte older MAME Versions but this is only subjective I can't prove it. ^^""

All in All Nice Work. Are MAME-HISTORY Files supported? I like to read all the interesting Facts about Arcade-Game History. :)

Hey,

I would LOVE to see WWF Superstars and WWF Wrestlefest on MAME4ALL. I reckon they are 2 of the only games missing from my list of dream MAME games I can carry round with me. Please make it happen! Cheers!

Back