Mame4all For Gp2x V1.1

As I expected I was able to get rid of the old mame 5.1 with the release of this version. great to have vector games back. also nice that extra artwork is supported for some games I don't think that was possible with the old version. I'm definitely enjoying this new mame now after a rocky start with it.

problems:

It won't actually select the wrong game but when i select a game it will often show the name of another game

with drz80 on

sonic wings 2/aero fighters: 2 sounds craps out after you select your ship and you get a mild buzzing type noise after that

overtop: either runs really smooth or like in slow motion. alternates between the two while playing

simpsons: same as overtop

anyway thanks for the emu franxis its quite good considering its a new start and will only get better.

jbrodack said:
As I expected I was able to get rid of the old mame 5.1 with the release of this version. great to have vector games back. also nice that extra artwork is supported for some games I don't think that was possible with the old version. I'm definitely enjoying this new mame now after a rocky start with it.

problems:

It won't actually select the wrong game but when i select a game it will often show the name of another game

with drz80 on

sonic wings 2/aero fighters: 2 sounds craps out after you select your ship and you get a mild buzzing type noise after that
Sonic Wings 2 runs fine with Cyclone. It's just the DrZ80 that gives the issues with sound. Same goes for Aero Fighter 1. So it's similar to the older Mame Fast versions. The normal old Mame versions ran these games fine. Just something with the DrZ80 core. BTW this is the only emulator on the GP2X that will even run Sonic Wings 2 and 3 fine with sound/music not crapping out. FBA2x doesn't even run the Sonic Wings 2 and 3 with sound. It will go out after a bit into the first level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good work Franxis. Releasing updates already!.. ;)

Couple of points:

This version still seems to have problems with the DrZ80 core with 1942 (flashing screen). :(

I also see that the vector games no longer have the differing intensities that you had with MAME Gp2x V5.1. (E.g. In Asteroids your ship was brighter than the rocks.)

Asteroids looks much better on the mame release than 5.1..
Anyone have any idea how to get space duel going - it runs up to selecting the game-type (ie joined ships, etc) but I can't figure out which key combo I need to hit...

So far I am well impressed with this - once a bit of optimisation is applied as well it'll be excellent. Well done Franxis (and others?).

EDIT: and cosmic guerilla is exactly how I remember it from all those years ago :)

Franxis said:
sbock said:
nixeon4x said:
Thanks for the update franxis, but there some trouble with Pacmania, it crashes after the game info screen,
I can confirm the bug with Namco System 1 games. Dragon Spirit and Galaga 88 have the same problem.

Regards,
Stephan

The problem with the Namco System 1 games is due to the hiscores.dat file, if you delete the file, the games run ok... I will investigate it... It seems the hiscore.dat from PalMAME is not ok with some games... Regards.

I have also found a few games don't work on PalmMAME with the hiscore.dat. I've been removing non-working games from the file. That's the problem trolling back through time for the correct hiscore.dat :)

If a game doesn't work just edit the hiscore.dat file, it is just a text file and remove the game from the list. (and let everyone know of course so we can update it.)

Vilmos said:
I have also found a few games don't work on PalmMAME with the hiscore.dat. I've been removing non-working games from the file. That's the problem trolling back through time for the correct hiscore.dat :)

If a game doesn't work just edit the hiscore.dat file, it is just a text file and remove the game from the list. (and let everyone know of course so we can update it.)
Glad to see you here, Vilmos !!! :)

Franxis said:
Vilmos said:

Hey (I know I am saying this alot sorry)
Has anyone gotten mortal kombat and mortal Kombat II running yet?

I love those games dearly

I'm sorry to flood the gp32x.de news, but probably a new version will be released this evening solving more bugs...

Franxis said:
Vilmos said:

Thanks. I'm here a lot, just lurking mostly. I'm going to have to try this MAME update though. :)

Just stick with it people, I know it's buggy in places but this is still the best version of MAME for the GP2X by a longshot - it's the full version of MAME with all the extra functionality. Not to mention its much better potential for continued increased compatibility.

Thanks to this version, last night my brother and I were doing two player Simpsons arcade through the cradle on our TV with a couple of USB joypads – it really brought back some childhood memories so thank you Franxis for that.

I just wanted to write this post to remind Franxis that even though it seems like lots of people are posting bug reports, these are just to make an already great emulator even better!

Keep up the good work.

cyclone5uk said:
I just wanted to write this post to remind Franxis that even though it seems like lots of people are posting bug reports, these are just to make an already great emulator even better!

Keep up the good work.
Seconded!

People only post bug reports if they are 1) using the software enough to spot them, and 2) wanting to use it more in future. If the news was greeted with deathly silence, then you worry! ;)

Back