GP32 as a PDA?

A big problem with that, there is no built in clock on the gp32, which seriously limits its functions.

I Know thats a problem as stated in the article but it isnt needed really if we use just basic PDA functions.

Take the appointment book it can have the apointments time and date. But cause there is no clock it can't alert you to what u might be missing. But thats the only feature its missing the reminder. We can still make the PDA functions on the gp32 just some functions wont be as good as the 1's on PDA (basiclly the clock and date reminder functions)

Still it can be used for work easily and would be handy to people i was going by standard PDA functions not all the other crap thats been introduced into the ce versions etc like word viewer.

:ph34r:

Darkfader made a clock program, and I think he even made a real clock with a backup battery system and everything. Look at the link I put up, and see what you think.

You needed to do some wiring with that, but the wiring drained batteries, or something like that

Yeah i seen that before but as meonlyeviler mentions it drains the battery

You actually need to disconnect the pin on the CPU leading to C8... it is connected to the core power of the CPU and thus will drain the backup battery. Soo... it's recommended not to apply this patch and just wait for the GPi or something. Sorry. However, you can still try out the clock demo

So we still have no luck but still we dont really need a clock on the gp32 the programs just wont alarm if u need to do something just set your watch to beep so when it does u can turn your gp32 on to see what u are ment to be doing hehe :p

Whats even curious is darkfaders site says the gp32 has 8mb or ram :blink:

ok the clock is a problem, but setting clock and date when starting the app would do for me, just to check upcoming appointments in the morning. as organizer functions don't need much calculation the cpu speed could be reduced to minimum and you could let you gp on during the day.
I'll give windups a shot but am still desperatly wainting for linux for the gp

Actually, it may be possible to code something similar to those GBA games freeze states or whatever. That is, basically shut down all hardware and severely underclock the cpu and put it in an idle state waiting for a button interrupt or something like that. That way, you just leave your gp32 on at all times and it basically drains your batteries really slowly. I'm not sure how long the batteries would last, but it should be at least a few days. Not certain though. I'm imagining you'd turn off the video and sound hardware from software, and clock it down to like 10mhz, if possible, the only things running being the timer code for the clock, and a button interrupt, so you could re-activate the sucker.

It should work, but the only limiting factor would be how long the batteries would last, and that's directly related to how low you can clock the GP32.

Oh well, just an idea.

P.S. Darkfader's project with the clock worked for a while, but then burned out the clock part. So it's got some major problems. Scrap that idea.

Re Clock on GP32 - Would it be possible to use the RF link to pick up the date/time from somewhere when you switch on your GP32 ?

I don't think the rf-link can be used for anything except communication wiht other gp32s. But don't quote me on that.

Rattboi posted on Aug 15 2003 said:
Actually, it may be possible to code something similar to those GBA games freeze states or whatever. That is, basically shut down all hardware and severely underclock the cpu and put it in an idle state waiting for a button interrupt or something like that. That way, you just leave your gp32 on at all times and it basically drains your batteries really slowly. I'm not sure how long the batteries would last, but it should be at least a few days. Not certain though. I'm imagining you'd turn off the video and sound hardware from software, and clock it down to like 10mhz, if possible, the only things running being the timer code for the clock, and a button interrupt, so you could re-activate the sucker.

It should work, but the only limiting factor would be how long the batteries would last, and that's directly related to how low you can clock the GP32.

Oh well, just an idea.

P.S. Darkfader's project with the clock worked for a while, but then burned out the clock part. So it's got some major problems. Scrap that idea.
how could u replace the batteries wen they need replacing tho? would u need to plug in a wall socket jobby then replace them or would u just reset the time each time ur batteries need changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually you can't just plug in a powersupply it will keep the gp32 on but it makes the program u r using freeze no matter what program it is.

But the only thing we need a clock for is reminder on waht u have to do today.

Turning the LCD off is possible but 40mhz is the lowest u can put the gp32 in.

It would drain the batteries fast.

But all the other things would work fine and i dont really need the reminder feature if u must just set your watch to beep then u know to open the gp32 and see what appointment u have :)

I wish i could code so i could start making some of these programs

i think 40mhz is the standard clock speed...someone write a quick program that just counts and clock it as low as possible...

You're all looking at this from the wrong perspective. Instead of using a real-time clock, why don't you just tell the GP32 what day and time it is? The interface could be intuitive enough so it saves the last day and time you gave it, and next time asks how many days / hours / minutes since you last turned it on (yet it would still have the manual option, of course). Then it would hop you right to that day and time in the calendar.

An alarm on the current incarnation of the GP32 is not feesible, because some part of the GP32 would have to be powered all the time. Instead of focusing on how to keep the GP32 awake all the time, we should be focusing on how best to adapt to the GP32's limitations.

If you need to tell time, wear a watch. If you need to know what day it is, I don't think you're the type of person who would be needing that information from a handheld gaming device.

well, i modified the test in the devkit adv package and i removed all of the zeros from the first number in the function where it changes the clock speed so it is now:

GpClockSpeedChange(132, 0x24001, 2); /* speed=>> 133 <<not really Mhz */

is this right? because it runs on the real gp32 :D

Back