GP32 Dilemma

bauerdr

Still Fresh
I just got my GP32 a week ago and have not been able to run any emus or the beta MP3 player other than the commerical ASR game. I have tried everything that was suggested by the kind folks from the GP32 community, but nothing worked. I finally contacted the seller, Play-Asia.com, about returning the system. Fortunately, they were willing to take it back.

My dilemma is that I really like the GP32, the whole open source and emulators for retro-games concept, but I have lost confidence in the hardware/software. I mean if I doen't work, it's not worth it. I am torn between an exchange or a refund.

I really need some honest feedback from other GP32 owners about hardware (or software) issues that they have encountered and how they resolved those problems. Thanks.

Do you have the freelaucher (it's not the correct spell but english is not my 1st language anyway) installed ?
When you get your gp32 the first thing is plug it to the pc, revister it over gamepark, download the freelauncher and install it. That's the best way that I know to get the emus and beta mp3 players working.

Yeah, did all that and then more. I have re-downloaded and re-installed from Game Park's site, the USB driver, Authenticator, PC-Link, and Free Launcher. The problem is that when executing a program under freelauncher, the program would not load and GP32 would resets back to the main selection menu.

I just found out that someone else had posted the same problem back in May with a brand new GP32. I don't know if this is a common occurence among newer GP32s or just a few isolated cases. Anyway, I am very disappointed.

^^Yeh what he said ^^

Did you register your gamepark 32 and download freelauncher (the program that does just about every thing for your GP32)? or was it a series of technical fualts that lead to you not being able to do anyting?

I had to register in order to gain access to GamePark's download page. So, yes I did too. Actually, more than once. Someone suggested getting a card reader, but after spending US$275 for the GP32-ASR set + $65 for two 128MB SMC, I really don't want to waste any more money unless it will work.

So what was the exact problem (sorry to make u repeat your previous posts)? Was it getting Freelauncher installed do to a bad USB link or SMC error ?

Let me give you a quick recap:

1. PC-Link is able to connect to GP32. Free Launcher and other emus installed successfully.
2. Free Launcher can be seen in "Game"
3. GPEngine, SMS32, Textview32, Oh! My Goddess, beta MP3 player are selectable in Free Launcher.
4. When one of the above is selected, GP32 resets back to main menu. On a few occasions, SMS32, textviewer, and Oh! My Goddness ran without any problem and were playeable. GPEngine and beta MP32 never worked.

After reformatting the SMC and reinstalling everything for several times, the GP32 now won't load anything except the commerical game ASR.

Yeah, I got in touch with Tom from Play-Asia also. Did you ever find out what was wrong with your first GP32? So, everything is fine with the new one that they send you? Nice to hear that.

hey bauerdr, I helped you out a few times on IRC in relation to you're GP32, sorry to hear that it's the case of a faulty unit. But dont be discouraged, you're actually the first person i have seen on these forums with the problem so it isn't a regular occurance.

thats crazy, I would deffinatly be upset if i had spent that amount of money and then after waiting and dealing with importing the system have it be faulty. It seems pretty obvious just from your post that its the unit and not that you have set stuff up wrong. So at that point there really is little you can do besides send it back and get it exchanged. If I were you I would have them replace it and then just move on. I'm suure it seems like all you hear are complaints about units that are DOA but think of it this way. No one is going to make a post about it if they get it up and running and have no problems. So I am sure that if you have it replaced things should work out fine and you will be more than happy with it. I understand that at this point all you probably want to do is just try to get your money back and forget it but the gp32 is a quality machine and you were just one of the very few unlucky ones that got a messed up console. Best of luck whatever you decide but I hope you get it worted out and working and are able to continue to contribute to this comunity.

Yeah, it took me MONTHS to get my GP32 working, but in the end, its worth it. ;)

Tom at Play-Asia is very cool, I'm happy to hear he's willing to refund you. If you read my GP32 FLU review then you know he helped me out too when I had a problem. :)

You should do an exchange and get a new GP32 - it's a great system and you just got a faulty one. Game Park's a small company so their quality control isn't gonna be as good as a mega company like Nintendo. But once you have a properly working GP32 you will enjoy it. Most GP32's work just fine, but there's a small few that have a problem and you got unlucky.

it could be a damaged SMC (unlikely seeing as you using two of them, unless they were second hand or refurbished or something else), batteries (unlikely again), or the hardware and hardware can get damaged in mail order stuff, i doubt the postal service is going to take 100% care in super great conditions to protect your stuff

Back