GP32 Gp32 Emulator

The hardware is similar, it should be as easy as recompiling the source code for the new system.

cbox posted on Feb 12 2006 at 10:55 PM said:
The hardware is similar, it should be as easy as recompiling the source code for the new system.
The source of what, exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 12 2006 at 11:38 PM said:
iignotus posted on Feb 12 2006 at 11:25 PM said:
lol God help us all ;)

the source to the GP32 is... um... the hardware? lol...

Shikaku posted on Feb 13 2006 at 05:41 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 12 2006 at 11:38 PM said:
iignotus posted on Feb 12 2006 at 11:25 PM said:
lol God help us all ;)

the source to the GP32 is... um... the hardware? lol...
This thread is so 4 days ago.

Hmmm, yes.... GeePee32 is the only GP32 emu out there and comes without source. The only thing similar between gp32 and gp2x is the ARM9 and LCD. Graphics are different, sound is different.

Should be quite simple to emulate though due to the simplicity of the GP32's hardware - why you'd want to though is another question...

Hanz™: Nice sig :)

The GP2X should have enough power... right?
To me this makes sense. Why would I want to carry around 2 handhelds instead of one to use all the software from both worlds?

Should perform well I think, since GP32 doesn't have any 3d accelerator etc.

Well, most of the stuff from the GP32 is appearing on the GP2X anyway. There isn't that much GP32 exclusive stuff.

Secondly, your wanting to emulate a 133Mhz ARM9 machine on a 200Mhz machine. We have enough trouble doing that when the machine being emulated is 16Mhz. Not going to happen until HH is embraced by the community's most knowledgable developers that know the magic of the MMU, and they'll probably want to do GBA.

Squidge posted on Feb 13 2006 at 07:02 AM said:
Well, most of the stuff from the GP32 is appearing on the GP2X anyway. There isn't that much GP32 exclusive stuff.

Secondly, your wanting to emulate a 133Mhz ARM9 machine on a 200Mhz machine. We have enough trouble doing that when the machine being emulated is 16Mhz. Not going to happen until HH is embraced by the community's most knowledgable developers that know the magic of the MMU, and they'll probably want to do GBA.

Isn't the problem with GBA that we can't clock DOWN to 16 MHz? and therefore it would run too fast. But we CAN clock down to 133 MHz, so shouldn't that be more feasible?

Squidge posted on Feb 13 2006 at 06:02 AM said:

Well in a perfect world we would not 'emulate' the gp32 but 'run' it on the gp2x.

As for not being able to clock down to 16mhz, I don't think that will help. Heck someone post a gba emulator that runs TOO fast with all the frames. Really you just need to put in some sort of speed limiter to slow it down and poof it works.
But that too is in a perfect world.

God Ginrai posted on Feb 14 2006 at 12:01 AM said:
Isn't the problem with GBA that we can't clock DOWN to 16 MHz? and therefore it would run too fast. But we CAN clock down to 133 MHz, so shouldn't that be more feasible?

The GP32 can't be emulated on the 940 due it missing an MMU, which means it needs to run on the 920. Linux will not give you access to the MMU on the 920 as it wants it all for itself. Which means we need to use HH-mode, which is not complete, so we can't as yet build either a GBA or GP32 emulator using native execution techniques.

Sounds interesting, if that aspect is ever figured out then not only might we see a GP32 emulator/mode/interpreter, but perhaps GPAdvance might be ported as that was getting playable even on the GP32 and from what I remember that used similar techniques and tricks to achieve the miracle...

I know a lot of people aren't at all bothered about the GP32 being emulated on the GP2X, but it would be nice, as there were plenty of quirky homebrew titles which may never see a port to the 2X...

®

Personally, I'd welcome a GP32 emulator... there were quite a few games on it that I do still miss (KoF97, SmashGP, Lacuna, Picross...), and well, if it ended up running *very* well, then some of the less intensive emus might conceivably run (I'm thinking NES mostly, since the GP32 ones are still imho superior - although obviously not forever, I hope).

Not to say, of course, that it's possible or easy, but hey, I think there's enough unique software on the GP32 to make it worthwhile...

Back