GP32: Great Giana Sisters

Harvey

Still Fresh
I read in a coding comp that this game had been entered by I believe a group called CNN? They were not releasing this game until they had permission.

Does anyone know if this ever got released or knows the current status of it?

Cheers.

The Great Giana Sisters was programmed for GP32 by CHN (with other help by Kojote). They
still don't have a permission from the © owner of the Great Giana Sisters to release the game. :angry:
Asking CHN or Kojote won't help the situation I'm afraid. :blink:

there was already a topic started about this some time back...

the problem is that Rainbow Arts (owner of Giana Sis) was sued by Nintendo for it's similarities between that and Super Mario Bros. Fast forward by 15 years or so and now Rainbow Arts is called Factor 5 and very strongly tied to Nintendo!! So I doubt it that they would like to see that old wound opened up again.... ;-)

It's a pity in a way that the game was released into a coding competition and not just into the community as a while.

I tried contacting them sometime ago with regards to my site in the sig which is retro based and had no contact. For myself, Great Giana Sisters was very retro in itself and there are plenty of people there who would love it.

Equally, this is a game that I remember well on the Atari ST and the Amiga. I even once owned an original for the Atari ST!

Fast forward to a few years ago. I do rememember a Quake mod based on Great Giana Sisters (I believe that it was even called this). To my knowledge nothing bad happened to the mod'ers there. Also the fact that this was not for profit.

That screen shot was one of the first things I had seen on the unheard of GP32 for me. It absolutely blew me away. I knew that it was not available, but it did not stop me from getting the great little console.

All this being said, I'd hate to see a coder get into legal battles over a release of this. However with hindsight, an unamned release would have been great.

Back