GP32 joypad?

liquidcross

Website
Visit site
Is the joypad on the GP32 like a standard d-pad, or is it more like the NeoGeo Pocket Color's "click-stick"? I've never actually held a GP32 (but I will once mine arrives), and pics seem to show the joypad as being slightly "raised" out of the socket.

I've never seen a NG Pocket, but yes, the GP32 joypad is rather a joystick.
I was surprised about this when I got mine, but now I have to admit that I
prefer it over the GBA D-Pad.
Not so the buttons which are manufactured with a noticeably worse
quality than the GBA buttons...

The 'clicky' joystick is one aspect of the GP32 that I love! A real 'positive' feel to it, and once you get used to its sensitivity, its really nice to use.

The buttons are fine too, they just feel a little more 'plasticky' that the GBA buttons, but fine nonetheless.

Cheers

Its kinda like a clicky analoge pad, only alot easier to control, but more sensitive. Its like nothing I have ever used before. Took me a little bit to get used to it, but I like it now. :)

I already have problems with my B-button. My GP32 is just 3 weeks old, and I was
handling it extremely careful.

I don't know what happened, perhaps some little clip inside broke or detached, like
other GP32 users already reported. The button first started to feel different than the
A-Button, now it's already making annoying clicking noises when I push it. It feels
like it gets stuck inside the case for a split second before it pops out with a 'click'.

Until now it doesn't affect gameplay so much, but it keeps distracting me from playing
and gives me a certain displeasedness about my GP32, although I'm completely
happy with it otherwise. If it gets worse I'm probably going to open my GP32 to
see if I can fix it.

Perhaps it was just bad luck, and normally the GP32 buttons are fine. But I think that,
by and by, more people are going to have problems with them, since they seem really
fragile to me.

racingclub posted on May 15 2003 said:
I much prefer the NGPC stick
I agree, the GP32 one is clicky but raised. I prefer the NGPC clicky, but sunken, stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, the NGPC pad is brilliant, one of the best controls I've ever used. It's bascially a scaled down version of the pad found on the NGCD joypads. All pads should be microswitched, IMO.

thebluenewt posted on May 16 2003 said:
Except when you're playing whilst watching tv, the clicking tends to piss people off...
or on the bus! ;)

do silent micro-switches exist?

Last edited by a moderator:
it clicks because it pushes a button inside, i used to play around with these things instead of doings actual work in my technology class

Back