Gp32 Lcd Screen

LordJohnnie

Still Fresh
Hello GP32 gurus!!!

I just came across these LCD module replacements for the GP32 here at Liksang. If I can reuse these in a Handheld project I'm working on, I'll go loopy and buy several of these.

Firstly, I'd like to ask if the LCD module can accept RGB input directly? (if i'm asking a silly question, feel free to correct me, I know next to nothing about LCDs and haven't canibalized them for a project before) Secondly, how could I set it up to recieve VGA or composite video input? (based on it's specific specs)

I'm hoping to use it either with portablizing video game consoles (N64, PS2, etc) or a mini-itx portable computer. The price is awesome compared to other means of getting ahold of a LCD module, and I may just buy one to figure it out hands-on as price is well worth the risk.

Please let me know any insight or suggestions you might have!!!
thanks!!!!

LordJohnnie posted on Apr 5 2006 at 01:58 AM said:
Hello GP32 gurus!!!

I just came across these LCD module replacements for the GP32 here at Liksang. If I can reuse these in a Handheld project I'm working on, I'll go loopy and buy several of these.

Firstly, I'd like to ask if the LCD module can accept RGB input directly? (if i'm asking a silly question, feel free to correct me, I know next to nothing about LCDs and haven't canibalized them for a project before) Secondly, how could I set it up to recieve VGA or composite video input? (based on it's specific specs)

I'm hoping to use it either with portablizing video game consoles (N64, PS2, etc) or a mini-itx portable computer. The price is awesome compared to other means of getting ahold of a LCD module, and I may just buy one to figure it out hands-on as price is well worth the risk.

Please let me know any insight or suggestions you might have!!!
thanks!!!!

You would need an LCD driver chip and other assorted electronics. No direct input.

Last edited by a moderator:
"assorted electronics" is that the Official term for it?

"LCD driver chip" Don't you mean LCD controller?

And some LCDs infact can accept direct RGB input, including the LCD in the GameGear, known PS1 LCD's and others. Anyone have experience with installing the LCD module in a Gp32? How is it done? I wonder if anyone has one lying around that magically gets photos taken of it and uploaded in this very thread : )

Anyone have experience with reusing LCD's ingeneral?

I was looking for the same thing, but I wanted to use one of the LCD's for a DIY projector. But I need a LCD controller board so that I can plug a VGA cable into it.

Il keep my eye on this thread incase you find anything sutable, If I find anything Il post here

Thanks p00pty2, I would probably drop the portable project and do a projector. widescreen halo? try wideWALL halo!! : ) Definantly post what you find, I will too. I'm going to buy a few GP32 screens and look the deal over. Do you have one already? take some pictures for us? Maybe there are some LCD nuts on our forum that want to help but need a look at the LCD module first.

There's a book I want to get that should help us with this, it can be found here: Hacking Video Game Consoles.

Thanks Ando!!, though i'm sure he didn't make it himself, but bought the chroma decoder somewhere. Although, you are looking in the right direction.

I'm going to look for LCD controllers that take vga input. I might settle for buying a vga touchscreen module =/

ahhhhh a fellow portablelizer im working on a n64 portable myself its been like 2 years in the making :p

good luck

LordJohnnie posted on Apr 5 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
i'm sure he didn't make it himself, but bought the chroma decoder somewhere. Although, you are looking in the right direction.
kevin horton is a crazy modder he rebuilt an entire atari with just the 3 main chips in one of his units so i have no doubt he made this by himself also

and that hacking video game consoles probablyt wont help with the gp32 screen or any other screen like a laptop screen or Gamegear it just explains how to change the backlight to save power and how wire a screen that accepts composite up to a portable

actually a psone screen would probably work extremely well for this project it accepts composite, RGB, and can be easily modded to accept VGA i think, it may be hard to find one depending on were you live. but if you live in the U.S best buy has them for 25$ now but they are called verge screens but have the exact same insides. or you can get one off ebay for about the same price that is a sony brand psone screen

Last edited by a moderator:
Back