Gp32 Official News!! New Info!!

i've had GP32 Classic (i.e no special features no new firmware no flu or blu i can't even go to 166) so what does this mean to me.

well i don't have to feel bad bout any of this stuff cuz i got mine a year ago.

WOW a year! time flys when your havin fun.

I have to admit the BLU looks astounding, but I'll wait untill there's more proof of it's battery life before I even concider buying another one.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. So what, so the screen comes out a bit more clear! Until I see concrete details on how this is better than the FLU, I'm fine with what I got (or soon will have...damn airmail!) :blink:

triksR4rabits posted on Mar 23 2004 at 03:07 PM said:
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. So what, so the screen comes out a bit more clear!
That IS the point. It's clearer than the FLU. the less work you have to go through for visibility the better, eveyr little bit counts.

They're trying to make the product more inviting to people who might not have bought it at first, I concider this a good step in that direction, even better if they can give a decent battery life with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I hope by the time this thing comes out people will decide to switch over and sell their non-lit gp32's for a decent price on ebay. I lost mine back in september and have been to broke to beable to replace it (thats life when you're in college). That and the exchange rate makes these things crazy expensive when you live in the states. So as nice as this looks I'm hoping it will mean I'll be able to get my hands on any sort of gp for a decent price.

It looks like they chose the worst, scratchiest, screen-full-of-bubbles FLU that they could find to compare with the BLU unit.

It's just advertising to make you want it more...

My FLU is coming in a week or so from GBAX, and I think I'll be quite happy with its ability to still be visible in the sun, unlike the BLU.

Anyway, BLUs wear out faster than reflective screens... ;)
My Nomad and Game Gear are perfect examples; both are BLUs, and both are not as sharp as they once were. My GBC, however, is still as good as it ever was. :D

Esn posted on Mar 24 2004 at 06:48 AM said:
It looks like they chose the worst, scratchiest, screen-full-of-bubbles FLU that they could find to compare with the BLU unit.

It's just advertising to make you want it more...

My FLU is coming in a week or so from GBAX, and I think I'll be quite happy with its ability to still be visible in the sun, unlike the BLU.

Anyway, BLUs wear out faster than reflective screens... ;)
My Nomad and Game Gear are perfect examples; both are BLUs, and both are not as sharp as they once were. My GBC, however, is still as good as it ever was. :D
C'mon, the Game Gear and Nomad use old standard LCD panels. There have been so many huge improvements in LCD technology since the introduction of TFT. Have you never looked at the current range of Pocket PCs. I've had one for about 4 years now and it's as crystal clear as the day I bought it. The battery life with my PDA is about 5-6 hours with the screen at full brightness and I would give anything to have a handheld games machine with a screen even remotely compared to it.

However, Backlit LCD screens traditionally cannot be seen at all in direct sunlight or with the backlight off, so I am waiting to hear if they have modified the technology at all. There is a chance that they have a method to use a backlight but still retain the reflective panel. I eagerly wait more news.

Why does everyone think it won't be visible in the sun? The new Palm and PPC screens are backlit and are easily viewable in the sun, like the Zodiac is. It's reflective AND backlit. I remember someone saying they were going to use a PDA screen in the BLU.
I think anyone complaining is either too broke to buy a BLU, or mad that they just bought a FLU. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

the announced battery life they had a while back (2-4 hours?) slightly turns me away from it... let's hope it's better than that.

I really dont think there's any real reason for FLU owners to be jealous of people who might end up witht he BLU. Yes it's a bit clearer but its not like the FLU is completely unuseable.

We jumped on our FLUs now long before they'll ever see theirs, and are enjoying them for a lower price than those who will be buying the BLU will be paying when it's finally offered.

Sometimes you just have to look at the bright side of your situation.

Its Too expensive in my opinion.... €199 for a 4 year old (or something like that) hand held with the only improvement being a Back light.. Maybe if it had a 300 - 400mhz CPU put in and 32 - 64MB Ram then I would be interested... but for now Im staying with my Good Old Non FLu with the Worm light :D

How much Extra Power would BLU Require to light the screen?? This might be a problem when Overclocking (Gamepark wont realy be bothered how high they overclock will this new light as they state in the Instructions that Its Highly NOT Recommended or something like that...) Cos the more power being drained off to the light the less going to the CPU which will reduce overclocking...

I think it's been said that bumping up the specs on newer GPs to 32mb ram would effect some of the software that exists right now causing them to operate incorrectly so it's probably a matter of them not splitting there market base. Though they could have made it so it can handle 166 normally with out haveing to technically "overclock" that would be a great boost tot he hardware without changing it too drastically and the turbocharging that GBAX does would be unnecassary!

I dont think the 3 years is been in existance should really be a factor though, as long as they produce some decent games and start releasing the stuff thats been on hold, it could do well. there are only a few smal issues that put it behind the GBA (ram, sound hardware, and games) but things that put it ahead as well (like home brew and Divx). If they sell t on those merits they could do well enough with it even at that price.

Alpha2 posted on Mar 24 2004 at 04:05 PM said:
there are only a few smal issues that put it behind the GBA (ram, sound hardware, and games)
???? THe GP32 has More Ram than the GBA Doesnt it?????? Anyway, GBA Emulation is getting Very Close on the GP32 :D

Back