GPD MicroPC

Last night my hinge completely popped open, and two screws fell out. But the design is made so that the plastic will pop apart instead of breaking, and I was able to screw them back in, so it's fixed! Keys still make double characters sometimes, but I think that might be Debian 10's fault. When I was on Debian 9 it didn't happen.

Because I had some issues with getting library ebook DRM working on Liinux (It needs Adobe Digital Editions) I now made my MPC dual boot... Djebus what an immense amount of bugs in the windows 10 install... Especially when playing videos the screen goes haywire... Also the Fan seems to be going at it much more often and louder than in Linux...

Apparently the first production batch of 4000 boards are being produced this week with assembly starting next week.. First units ship in ~2-3 weeks. Looking forward to this one - hope to make it my new primary phone.

My micropc is significantly smaller than my netbook.... the micropc measures about 6"x4.5" (or 15.2cm x 11.4cm assuming my math is correct).

(but I think Grench was referring to another product... wrong group, perhaps?)

Your GPD Micro-PC? That's basically netbook size isn't it? I do like those devices for travel when I'm on holiday and suchlikes, but as a daily phone?

Not sure he posted at the right thread - as the MicroPC is out already and it doesn't have phone functions :)

Sorry. Yes, somehow posted that here instead of the Cosmo thread. My apologies.

For those who have the MicroPC... are yours still working ok? I've seen lots of comments about battery problems on Indegogo.
Also, has anyone tried upgrading the ssd on this thing? Any recommendations on what kind? (taking into account heat and performance).

thanks.

I've only had mine for a about a month and it is doing fine. In fact it is awesome, smaller than it looks on the pictures and enough power to do everything I could think of doing on a system as compact as this.

I swapped the SSD for a 512 GB one which is pretty ease. Remove 7 screws and pop off the back cover...

There was only one SATA M2 SSD with fitting dimensions available for a reasonable price, so that is what I got:
Transcend MTS430S SSD 512GB, M.2

The Linux version comes with Ubuntu Mate which is pretty good by any means. Still I installed a stock Debian on the new SSD, mostly because I prefer that and run Debian on all other things. Current bullseye/testing comes with Kernel 5.2, all hardware on the MicroPC is supported by it

I've installed Debian on mine. It has a keyboard bounce issue where sometimes it makes two or more characters per button press. But I suspect that may be a software issue as it didn't start until after I updated from Debian 9 to Debian 10. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'd love some help.

For those who have the MicroPC... are yours still working ok? I've seen lots of comments about battery problems on Indegogo.
Also, has anyone tried upgrading the ssd on this thing? Any recommendations on what kind? (taking into account heat and performance).

thanks.
Yes, GPD acknowledged a battery issue on some and are looking to replace it with a different one.
In my opinion, the Pocket 2 Amber Black has the same issue.

It seems if you let the battery run too dry (i.e. leaving the device in standby or just don't use it for a few weeks when it was near empty), then the battery safety circuit disables the battery (which is correct, so it can't be discharged any further) but doesn't switch on again, so you can't charge it.

That's why it will always stay at 0% and never charge again.

I made some tests and manually charged the cells: The device reported the correct %age (so it could read out the battery) but it still wasn't able to recharge it again.

I've installed Debian on mine. It has a keyboard bounce issue where sometimes it makes two or more characters per button press. But I suspect that may be a software issue as it didn't start until after I updated from Debian 9 to Debian 10. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'd love some help.
xkbset ? ([-]{bouncekeys | bo} [debounce-delay])

Mine is working fine as well, although I'm still running the original Windows install. Has anyone found a 1TB ssd that works well?

If your MicroPC does happen to have a bad battery , you can contact GPD for a free replacement. They made an announcement as such on the GPD discord

Last edited:
Did you get yours from Amazon or somewhere else? (Amazon seems to be out of stock atm).

thanks.

I've only had mine for a about a month and it is doing fine. In fact it is awesome, smaller than it looks on the pictures and enough power to do everything I could think of doing on a system as compact as this.

I swapped the SSD for a 512 GB one which is pretty ease. Remove 7 screws and pop off the back cover...

There was only one SATA M2 SSD with fitting dimensions available for a reasonable price, so that is what I got:
Transcend MTS430S SSD 512GB, M.2

The Linux version comes with Ubuntu Mate which is pretty good by any means. Still I installed a stock Debian on the new SSD, mostly because I prefer that and run Debian on all other things. Current bullseye/testing comes with Kernel 5.2, all hardware on the MicroPC is supported by it

Back