Gps Information

trister12

Still Fresh
hello. I'm interested in buying GP2X and I have some questions:

Does GP2X work with a USB/Bluetooth GPS receiver (not with hack like opening the gp2x and using soldering iron)?
Has anyone manage to make it work? If yes can you post a tutorial?

GP2X2GPE seems to have gpsdrive compiled in it but I haven't found any solid info/instructions on how to make it work.

Thanks in advance & keep up the good work :)

If you don't want to use a soldering iron, buy a BoB and place USB GPS (or BT GPS with USB BT transceiver) into it, add appropriate driver and your done. Would be easier to use USB GPS than USB BT transceiver as chances are the USB GPS is just a serial->usb converter and the drivers will have already been done.

that doesn't sound very portable. A big exposed dev board hanging off a gp2x with a long dongle sticking out of it.

GP2X2GPE seems to have gpsdrive compiled in it but I haven't found any solid info/instructions on how to make it work.

i once tried to run gpsdrive that comes with gp2xgpe, it shows the startup screen of gpsdrive but doesnt come any further.
i left my gp2x for about 30 minutes (i actually forgot it :p) , and after that still nothing has happened.
on my desktop pc it requires a decent amount of cpu power and memory to get it running, so i dont think that its going to run on the gp2x.

getting bluetooth to work on the gp2x is quite hard i think.
the gp2x doesn't come with bluetooth, and using one on usb (wich at least requires a cable for the EXT port) will need drivers that will need to be compilled.

when you use one on the usb of the gp2x, you probably still need to compile drivers for it.

there are also serial port GPS recievers.
with this page you probably will be able to get a serial gps device to work.

gr.

alex

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there was a mod on some random website a while back where they integrated a GPS thing into the unit somewhere... could be completely wrong though

Thanks for the quick responces.

What I'm trying to find out is how easy it is to get a USB or BLuetooth wotking with a GP2X & BoB without any hardware changes or any advanced programming/compiling .

Has anyone actually make it work? (I'm not talking about the GP2X modification)

Quote :
"....add appropriate driver and your done. Would be easier to use USB GPS than USB BT transceiver as chances are the USB GPS is just a serial->usb converter and the drivers will have already been done."
Question : I must search if my USB-GPSreceiver has linux drivers (specific for this brand) or there are generic drivers ?

Most GPS devices are simple serial devices, so the chances are your USB version will simply be a serial->usb converter, which will have a generic driver.

You will most likely have to compile your own driver however (or get someone to do it for you), as it's not the kind of thing that will be present as default.

If you wanted to buy a serial cable instead of a BOB, it would make things easier and require no compiling or driver finding, but obviously then would require a GPS with a 9-pin dsub connection rather than usb (and so would most likely require an external power source too, but then again, so would the BoB to provide you with usb support).

so what we need to have and GPH need to do is a pack of accesories for GP2X that you would stick into EXT port. GPS reciever, WiFi module, Radio module (serial maybe?). You know a little boxes that would fit nicely on the bottom of gp2x :)

Thank you all for the responces. This makes things a lot clearer.
I was looking in the internet and didn't found any clear information about GPS-GP2X (without messing with electronic borads).

From what I read I understand these:
1. GPSDrive does not work on GP2X (or is very slow)
2. Noone have managed to use his GPS without opening the GP2X board.
3. There is no known software for GPS navigation that can be used in GP2X in decent speed...

What I wanted to check is whether I can use a simple GPS nav software with my own maps to just give basic location info... This would certantly be a big plus to my final decision (but I think I'm going to buy it anyway ;) )

This can be a reference post for all GPS related posts.

Like I said above, it's certainly possible to get GPS on GP2X without opening the unit up, but it would certainly require some work on your part - either making a serial cable (and some way of powering the gps module) or by buying a bulky BoB + USB GPS, and compiling modules that are not present as standard.

What you seem to want is a cheap GPS SatNav. In that case, I'd buy a BT GPS unit, a smartphone (I use an SPV C500 that I bought for £60 from Orange), and TomTom. That'll cost you under £200 (or about £120 if your "sneaky"), or just buy an old all in one second hand SatNav.

What you seem to want is a cheap GPS SatNav. In that case, I'd buy a BT GPS unit, a smartphone (I use an SPV C500 that I bought for £60 from Orange), and TomTom. That'll cost you under £200 (or about £120 if your "sneaky"), or just buy an old all in one second hand SatNav.

Nah, I don't really need a GPS specific device.In my future plan I'll buy a smartphone that will handle my more advanced navigation needs.

At the moment I'm thinkinh of buying :
http://www.haicom.com.tw/hi_406bt.shtml
GPS with BLuetooth, USB & serial support.
This is a device that I'll need for sure in the future so, I have no problem of byuing it now ;)

but it would certainly require some work on your part
Thats my problem.
I want to buy the GP2X to experiment ,but I don't have knowledge of how linux drivers works. I just want to use ready made driver software. My main goal would be to see what can I make with the GP2x in the application depertment. I prefer using j2me but C will be ok I guess.

hello. I'm interested in buying GP2X and I have some questions:

Does GP2X work with a USB/Bluetooth GPS receiver (not with hack like opening the gp2x and using soldering iron)?
Has anyone manage to make it work? If yes can you post a tutorial?

Thanks in advance & keep up the good work :)

I did compile the bluetooth kernel modules and made a usb cable so I could
connect my bluetooth gps via a cheap bluetooth dongle.

I got it to work with gpsd and could pull the coordinates from it, but without
good software it's rather meaningless :(

The stuff I used is in the archive if you search for bluetooth (including gpsd).

Regards/henrik

Last edited by a moderator:
Back