Gpsp 0.9-2xa

Laser said:
I've been wanting to get an emulator for a handheld working well on the gp2x as I have come to believe that the games will "feel" better compared to emus of platforms that originally wanted a keyboard or mouse.

However, not knowing much about GBA I grabbed a few random games and was disappointed that none of them work close to full speed even with overclocking and massive frameskip. Yet this thread is one of many praising the speed of the GBA emulator. :blink: (The bubble game included in the archive works ok, but isn't a patch on FluboPuyo! :p )

Can anyone think of something I'm doing wrong? (I just copied the files + bios + roms to the SD card and left everything at default.) Alternatively does anyone have some suggestions of which games run well and which to avoid?

Thanks.
Mm, that's odd. I got, at very worst, playable speeds with every game I tried. And at best, pushing towards full speed. Even with fairly graphically intensive games like Gunstar Super Heroes. What did you overclock to? And what games are you trying to play?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alys said:
Laser said:
I've been wanting to get an emulator for a handheld working well on the gp2x as I have come to believe that the games will "feel" better compared to emus of platforms that originally wanted a keyboard or mouse.

However, not knowing much about GBA I grabbed a few random games and was disappointed that none of them work close to full speed even with overclocking and massive frameskip. Yet this thread is one of many praising the speed of the GBA emulator. :blink: (The bubble game included in the archive works ok, but isn't a patch on FluboPuyo! :p )

Can anyone think of something I'm doing wrong? (I just copied the files + bios + roms to the SD card and left everything at default.) Alternatively does anyone have some suggestions of which games run well and which to avoid?

Thanks.
Mm, that's odd. I got, at very worst, playable speeds with every game I tried. And at best, pushing towards full speed. Even with fairly graphically intensive games like Gunstar Super Heroes. What did you overclock to? And what games are you trying to play?

Yes, I don't know what the problem is because I played Mario Kart and won a race, the kart was sliding around and it was going plenty fast :) :). The menu in Namco Collection is ungodly fast, like 60-70fps or something (not a jab, it is great :D).

Laser said:
Well, I noticed earlier mention of Exophase forgetting to include mmuhack.o, so you should grab that from an earlier release and put it in the same directory as gpsp.gpe, if you haven't already. Try Kirby or Pokemon, both are as near to full speed as makes no odds - but I am running at 266MHz.

The extra 40-60MHz makes a HUGE difference - without it, things will be running slowly. Playably, though, I should think, just slowly.

Also, to those of you who've mentioned testing with or without sound, remember that for GPsp, it doesn't make a difference. If without sound seems faster, it's your imagination (since sound is still emulated, it's just also blanked out before it gets to the speakers).

i could say every game i have tryed has worked full speed etc......but the truth is all i get is 3 Mexican boys smashing what looks like a gp32 with sledge hammers......

fatdad said:
i could say every game i have tryed has worked full speed etc......but the truth is all i get is 3 Mexican boys smashing what looks like a gp32 with sledge hammers......
Did you read? That was the april fools version, redownload the actual version.

Mario Kart is fullspeed at fs1 clocked to 266mhz! Pokemon Fire Red too, but stutters quite a bit (only gfx, not audio) when the automatic framskip pops in...
Disney sports - Snowboarding no longer starts. Only a white screen.

F-Zero: GP Legends is around perfect, 266@fs1

Kirby: Fullspeed, 220mhz@fs0

All these measures are done with tweaked ram timings...'

Edit: Almost forgot to say thank you... Thank You, Exophase, amazing work!

Alys said:
Laser said:

My unit seems to be unhappy clocked much beyond 255MHz. But 10MHz either way is only a few percent anyway.

For example, I grabbed (randomly) ATV Thunder Ridge Riders, which is pretty much unplayable, certainly not enjoyable. (2-3fps, badly glitchy sound.) And Shrek Smash'n'Crash, which runs at a relatively decent rate, but still not full speed, and with broken sound too. I have no idea how good or bad these games are, but I can't imagine they'd have sold like this!...

Thanks to the others who have responded - I'll try out your suggestions. B)

I'm noticing saving, and savestates are far less stable, though actual performance is a lot more stable. I find sram deletes randomly again, even when exitting properly, and states save, but freeze after loading.

Pretty cool release, at least speed-wise. Shame the compatibility has gone down quite a bit.

Laser, make sure you are using the right bios, and don't forget that intensive 3D games are still in need for more work to be run at a playable frame rate.

If this can help, FF Tactic Advance Lock before starting...

Thanks for your great WORKs exophase !...

Thats pretty awesome !!!

paxl13

Back