Gpsp 0.9-2xa

slaanesh said:
With the recently release of the CPS2emu and now Picodrive both featuring pixel averaged rendering of the final display, do you think this is an option for gpSP? I believe that these only average pixels in one direction - horizontally - which is why it's fast to do.

I think those two only stretch horizontal (vertically they are still 1:1 w/software scale) because the size is so close up/down so that is why they can get away with averaging horizontally only. You would have to do it both ways in GBA emulation or it would look blocky (and squished) one way.

There are a few systems that can use this horiz only averaging though. Doesn't seem to kill performance alot. NES, SNES (probably still too slow?), PC-engine. For those that like the "TV look" horiz only averaging kind of looks like that. TVs would tend to blur horizontal but be sharp vertically (scan-lines were sharp and didn't blur into each other).

BTW: Congratulations to Exophase on making guru :) You deserve it.

The emu runs pretty smooth now, even for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mario Kart now appears to run full speed (I guess); or good enough.
Pity as I was better at it when it was slow! :D
There have been some excellent releases this week - great times indeed.

Well done to all devs!!!

Exophase said:
paxl13 said:
Simple idiot question that God Google didn't answer for me :

If I don't have the Roll option on the R button on Zelda Minish cap, do it mean I don't have the right bios ?

Thanks for the info,
Looking forward this project !!!
Thanks Exophase for your job !!!

paxl13
Actually, it means you have the right one. It's a compatability bug that won't get fixed until I have the proper memory handlers in place.

Pretty special that this do it only in this situation and in this game :D

Good job Exophase !

paxl13

kevcal said:

Well done to all devs!!!
Press L+R+middle vol and you can see it :D

Mario Kart with a 270 OC and auto frameskip 2 is like 60(37) fps.
I you set auto frameskip1 the game is not like real speed, but you gain a few frames.At Auto FS1 is like 55(42) fps.

Castlevania COTM is like 60(60) even at FS0 o_O

slaanesh perhaps you have shitty RAM. Disable the RAM Optimizing and try again. I get 266MHz with RAM optimizing and 305 without.

(/me is still mad that Craig never mentioned where he got "his" RAM settings from!! From my Post)

Rivroner said:
kevcal said:

Well done to all devs!!!
Press L+R+middle vol and you can see it :D

Mario Kart with a 270 OC and auto frameskip 2 is like 60(37) fps.
I you set auto frameskip1 the game is not like real speed, but you gain a few frames.At Auto FS1 is like 55(42) fps.

Castlevania COTM is like 60(60) even at FS0 o_O

Explanation of the frame rate: First number is the speed at which the game is being emulated (or what I call virtual frame rate, 60 is full speed), second number is the number of frames actually being drawn per second. Usually you want the first number to be 60 at the expense of the second number, since that's necessary for playing the game at the appropriate speed, and for the sound to not skip. If the framerate only occasionally dips below 60 the sound may turn out fine, depending on how much buffering there is. But if it's under 60 consistently then the sound will inevitably skip. 60(60) is the most ideal rate, obviously.

If you sustain > 30 frames drawn per second then auto frameskip 1 should be sufficient, but if the frame time has a lot of spikes in it then it'll occasionally need to skip extra. In this case it wants to skip two in a row about 5 times per frame and auto frameskip 1 is preventing it, at the cost of actual time (hence the lowered virtual frame rate). The auto frameskip mechanism will try to skip whenever the real time lags behind the virtual time, in order for it to catch up. But if there are a lot of small spikes of activity then relaxes where it can run faster it might catch up on its own, and it might not be noticeable, again depending on the audio buffer size. In most cases like this some frames have to be skipped no matter what, so there won't really be slack time to catch up, but sometimes auto frameskip limit 1 might perform more smoothly than 2, and so on.

The main reason the auto frameskip limit is in place is for games that CAN'T get fullspeed no matter how many frames you skip. Here you're better off only skipping some preset number (or putting it on manual, depending on how regular the game load is).

Rivroner said:
Thanks for the explanation :)
You're welcome, and I hope to see you on MSN today so I can get more betas to you ^_^ (IM me if you can, I might be missing you somehow..)

Exophase said:
Rivroner said:
You're welcome, and I hope to see you on MSN today so I can get more betas to you ^_^ (IM me if you can, I might be missing you somehow..)

In a couple of hours i have to go, but i will return about 1 AM (Spain time) Now it´s 18:10 in Spain :p
I will connect messenger.

Exophase said:
Rivroner said:

I've neither MSN nor AIM <_< But you'r using GMail so are you using Google Talk, too?

Emu&Co said:
slaanesh perhaps you have shitty RAM. Disable the RAM Optimizing and try again. I get 266MHz with RAM optimizing and 305 without.

(/me is still mad that Craig never mentioned where he got "his" RAM settings from!! From my Post)
I never said they were mine, I got them from Ed and I just made a post telling people to try them as we had success with them and I thought it needed to become more public. I didn't know you were the person who perfected them. I'm sorry.

Elektranox said:
Exophase said:
Rivroner said:

I've neither MSN nor AIM <_< But you'r using GMail so are you using Google Talk, too?

No.. but I have Yahoo and ICQ as well if either of those helps.

Exophase said:
Elektranox said:
Exophase said:
Rivroner said:

No.. but I have Yahoo and ICQ as well if either of those helps.

OK I've got ICQ, too... I had MSN, AIM and YSM a few years ago, too, but I don't use them since I'm not using sucking Windows any more and don't know the password :ph34r: My ICQ number is 204946877.

Really a pity you're not using Jabber, but all the proprietary protocols...

hackgrid said:
ICQ===AIM ;)
as far as i know it's only using the same protocol and I can't contact an AIM member, can I? I know, that it is both from AOL and using this closed protocol... The only reason I still have is, that nearly everybody in germany own it and if I want to contact somebody... ;)

craigix said:
Emu&Co said:

I never said they were mine, I got them from Ed and I just made a post telling people to try them as we had success with them and I thought it needed to become more public. I didn't know you were the person who perfected them. I'm sorry.

... and I got them from God_at_hell, he posted the settings that worked out pretty well for him when he released the first version of the CPU_Tweaker that supported RAM timings ,)

Last edited:
ok, this is getting off topic. sry for that, but I need to say this. A big sorry to craig. I thought you read them in here and mentioned them because not that much people realized the previous post and you forgot to mention where they were from. godathell got them from his topic regarding the CPU overclocking tool where many ppl posted and I added my settings. Somewhere between page 4 and 5 or something like this. Thats why I thought noone read it and you posted them again. I was wrong with that.... I will keep quiet regarding this from now on. (Perhaps because I realized right now that im flameing around because of a bunch of numbers) </off topic>

Back