Gpsp 0.9-2xb-u4

Unfortunately, the odds of notaz fixing the thing with Kingdom Hearts are pretty low when I haven't been able to fix it. Although, crashing is probably good - on my PC build it just has graphical glitches. Something that crashes is usually much easier to debug.

GTA Advance has some timing related bug. I thought it'd go away if I implemented DMA timing but it hasn't. Might need tighter timing in general, I don't know (gpSP has never had very accurate timing, intentionally)

I haven't looked at Payback, maybe I will sometime. Bear in mind, though, that even if I fix something on my PC build it's unlikely that it'll make it to the Wiz one unless it's a straightforward enough fix that I can tell notaz what to do for it.

1. Kingdom Hearts crashes at the intro video. (It's coincidentally [though I suppose it's not merely coincidence] at the same spot where the game would crash when played on the Dingoo's emulator.
Actually it works fine, somebody posted a weird workaround recently. After a few seconds in the intro save your game state then reload it, the intro will finish and there are no problems in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Kingdom Hearts:

Create a savestate just a second before the spot the intro crashes. Loading it will play the rest of the video without problems and you can enjoy the game.
I don't know why, but it works - at least for me. :)

Cool thanks for the all the info guys. Glad Kingdom Hearts will work :D. One more quick question then.

Is there any way to implement a feature that will remember what clockspeed an individual game needs to run at? For instance, when playing Golden Sun, I overclock to 666mhz, because anything less seems to lag in battles pretty heavily. 666 seems be a decent speed without overclocking TOO massively, thus saving battery.

Mario vs donkey kong on the other hand, plays perfectly at 400mhz (it could be even lower, I just havent checked yet). It's a pain having to set the emulator to under/overclock every time I switch games. Is there a way to tell gpSP to remember the clock speed for individual games that's already implemented (have I overlooked it)? Or is it possible to add this feature in?

Thanks guys.

Cheers,

Jason

Marios Tennis doesn't let you go past the intro screen. When you hit the screen where it says start game and you press a button it just relaunches the intro again...

Regards

André

Like Exophase guessed, I'm not going to fix emulation bugs because that needs better knowledge of emulator internals and GBA itself (unless he tells me exactly how to fix).

1. Kingdom Hearts crashes at the intro video. (It's coincidentally [though I suppose it's not merely coincidence] at the same spot where the game would crash when played on the Dingoo's emulator.
Nah it's not a coincidence at all, it's the same emulator really (all Dingoo's emulators are most likely various stolen open source emus in disguise).

Is there any way to implement a feature that will remember what clockspeed an individual game needs to run at? For instance, when playing Golden Sun, I overclock to 666mhz, because anything less seems to lag in battles pretty heavily. 666 seems be a decent speed without overclocking TOO massively, thus saving battery.
It's supposed to do all that automatically, doesn't it work?

Marios Tennis doesn't let you go past the intro screen. When you hit the screen where it says start game and you press a button it just relaunches the intro again...

Regards

André
These errors are probably due to self modifying code not being handled correctly in some way. You might want to try it with audio disabled in-game.

So I just ran into my first big problem... I think it should be looked into if you don't mind fixing a minor problem

I've been playing minish cap, and I'm all the way at the last dungeoun (The Dark Hyrule Castle), and theres one room that freezes completely, making it incapable to finish the game :'(

I've been playing non-stop and this really sucks :/

it doesn't freeze right away, only when I take one step once I'm already in the room

I can probably snag the save data if anyone wants to check it out?

, and theres one room that freezes completely, making it incapable to finish the game :'(

it doesn't freeze right away, only when I take one step once I'm already in the room

Thought this sounded familiar.... It's the roll bug that Exophase fixed in gpSP 0.9 for the PSP
# Fixed stereo output being reversed.
# Fixed a bug causing misaligned errors on 8bit writes to the gbc
audio channel 3 wave data (fixes various Super Robot Wars games)
# Fixed DMA with garbage in their upper 4 bits (fixes a crash in
Zelda: Minish Cap)
# Added double buffering to the rendering, removes line artifacts.
Big thanks to Brunni for the idea.
# Fixed a bug preventing some SRAM based games from saving (fixes
MMBN4-6)
# Fixed a bug causing part of EWRAM to potentially get corrupted if
code segments loaded in EWRAM cross 32KB boundaries (fixes
Phantasy Star 2)
# Fixed a bug causing games using movs pc in user mode (very bad
behavior) to crash. Fixes Colin McRae Rally 2.0.
# Improved timing a bit more. Fixes GTA Advance.
# Fixed a sprite clipping bug (fixes crash in third boss of Zelda:
Minish cap)
# Increased translation buffer size significantly (fixes Donkey Kong:
King of Swing)
# Fixed a dynarec bug causing add pc, reg to not work in Thumb code
(fixes crash in DBZ:LoZ, seems to fix crashes in battle in Golden
Sun, probably fixes other games)
# Made sprites using tiles < 512 not display in modes 3-5 (fixes
a couple minor graphical bugs)
# Removed abort on instruction 0x00000000 hack, was breaking a
certain bugged up game (Scurge)
# Fixed bug in flags generating variable logical shifts (fixes
SD Gundam Force)
# Fixed unaligned 16bit reads (fixes DBZ:LoZ in game)
# Redid contiguous block flag modification checking AGAIN and
hopefully got it right this time (fixes Mario vs. Donkey Kong)
# Redid ldm/stm instructions, fixing some cases (along with the
timing improvements fixes Mario & Luigi)
# Fixed 14bit EEPROM addressing (hopefully fixes saving in a lot
of games)

# Completely redid memory handlers, accurately emulates open and
BIOS reads now. Fixes Zelda: Minish Cap (roll bug, last dungeon),

Rayman, MMBN 1 (last dungeon), probably others.
# Fixed a minor graphical glitch on the edges of the screen
(thanks Brunni and hlide for the help!)
# Fixed crash on loading savestates from files of games not currently
loaded, but be sure you have the exact file you loaded it from or
gpSP will exit.
@ New memory handlers should provide performance boost for games
that access VRAM significantly (ie 3D games)
@ Added dead flag elimination checking for logical shifts, probably
doesn't make a noticeable difference but should have been there
anyway.
+ Added rapidfire to the button mappings.
+ Added auto frameskip. Removed fractional frameskip (don't think
it's very useful with auto anyway). Select auto in the graphics/
sound menu to activate it; frameskip value will act as the
maximum (auto is by default on). Thanks again to Brunni for some
help with this. Frameskip options are game specific.
+ Added vsync to the rendering. Only occurs when frames aren't
skipped. Seems to reduce tearing at least some of the time.
+ Added non-filtered video option.
+ Cheat support (Gameshark/Pro Action Replay v1-v3 only), still
in early stages, doesn't support everything; codes may cause
the game to crash, haven't determined yet if the codes are bad
or the implementation is. See cheat section for more information.
+ Added ability to change audio buffer size. Does not take affect
until you restart the game.
+ Added analog config options.
+ Added ability to set analog sensitivity and turn off analog.
+ Added ability to change the clock speed. This is a game specific
option. Try lower speeds w/auto frameskip to save battery life.
+ Fixed savestate speed on crappy Sony sticks.

(legend: # bug fix, + feature addition, @ optimization)

, and theres one room that freezes completely, making it incapable to finish the game :'(

Thought this sounded familiar.... It's the roll bug that Exophase fixed in gpSP 0.9 for the PSP
# Fixed stereo output being reversed.
# Fixed a bug causing misaligned errors on 8bit writes to the gbc
audio channel 3 wave data (fixes various Super Robot Wars games)
# Fixed DMA with garbage in their upper 4 bits (fixes a crash in
Zelda: Minish Cap)
# Added double buffering to the rendering, removes line artifacts.
Big thanks to Brunni for the idea.
# Fixed a bug preventing some SRAM based games from saving (fixes
MMBN4-6)
# Fixed a bug causing part of EWRAM to potentially get corrupted if
code segments loaded in EWRAM cross 32KB boundaries (fixes
Phantasy Star 2)
# Fixed a bug causing games using movs pc in user mode (very bad
behavior) to crash. Fixes Colin McRae Rally 2.0.
# Improved timing a bit more. Fixes GTA Advance.
# Fixed a sprite clipping bug (fixes crash in third boss of Zelda:
Minish cap)
# Increased translation buffer size significantly (fixes Donkey Kong:
King of Swing)
# Fixed a dynarec bug causing add pc, reg to not work in Thumb code
(fixes crash in DBZ:LoZ, seems to fix crashes in battle in Golden
Sun, probably fixes other games)
# Made sprites using tiles < 512 not display in modes 3-5 (fixes
a couple minor graphical bugs)
# Removed abort on instruction 0x00000000 hack, was breaking a
certain bugged up game (Scurge)
# Fixed bug in flags generating variable logical shifts (fixes
SD Gundam Force)
# Fixed unaligned 16bit reads (fixes DBZ:LoZ in game)
# Redid contiguous block flag modification checking AGAIN and
hopefully got it right this time (fixes Mario vs. Donkey Kong)
# Redid ldm/stm instructions, fixing some cases (along with the
timing improvements fixes Mario & Luigi)
# Fixed 14bit EEPROM addressing (hopefully fixes saving in a lot
of games"]
[/quote]# Completely redid memory handlers, accurately emulates open and
BIOS reads now. Fixes Zelda: Minish Cap (roll bug, last dungeon),

Rayman, MMBN 1 (last dungeon), probably others.
# Fixed a minor graphical glitch on the edges of the screen
(thanks Brunni and hlide for the help!)
# Fixed crash on loading savestates from files of games not currently
loaded, but be sure you have the exact file you loaded it from or
gpSP will exit.
@ New memory handlers should provide performance boost for games
that access VRAM significantly (ie 3D games)
@ Added dead flag elimination checking for logical shifts, probably
doesn't make a noticeable difference but should have been there
anyway.
+ Added rapidfire to the button mappings.
+ Added auto frameskip. Removed fractional frameskip (don't think
it's very useful with auto anyway). Select auto in the graphics/
sound menu to activate it; frameskip value will act as the
maximum (auto is by default on). Thanks again to Brunni for some
help with this. Frameskip options are game specific.
+ Added vsync to the rendering. Only occurs when frames aren't
skipped. Seems to reduce tearing at least some of the time.
+ Added non-filtered video option.
+ Cheat support (Gameshark/Pro Action Replay v1-v3 only), still
in early stages, doesn't support everything; codes may cause
the game to crash, haven't determined yet if the codes are bad
or the implementation is. See cheat section for more information.
+ Added ability to change audio buffer size. Does not take affect
until you restart the game.
+ Added analog config options.
+ Added ability to set analog sensitivity and turn off analog.
+ Added ability to change the clock speed. This is a game specific
option. Try lower speeds w/auto frameskip to save battery life.
+ Fixed savestate speed on crappy Sony sticks.

(legend: # bug fix, + feature addition, @ optimization)

Yup, though I wasn't rolling at all.
Its still freezing though...

ARM versions use different memory handlers than the PSP version. I tested for and thought I got BIOS/open reads working the same way on them (uses a different approach) but either it wasn't really working or it regressed somehow. I've seen it reported several times since so it's nothing new, but I doubt you'll see it fixed since I don't want to work on this codebase. I might take a look though, to see if I missed something obvious.

I've experienced a full emu crash with those 2 games:

GTA Advance - right before it switches into game engine (from the sprite loading screen)
CIMA The Enemy - plays engine scripted intro fine, then crashes on entering some sort of mode7-ish cut scene.

PM me if you need the roms

It's supposed to do all that automatically, doesn't it work?
To be honest, it's sort a strange hit-and-miss thing that I think I figured out. If I load Golden Sun and set it too 666mhz, then exit. Then reload gpSP and load Golden Sun again, it will stay at 666mhz. If I load a new game in between (ie. Golden Sun, Mario vs Donkey Kong, then Golden Sun again) it will be set back to the default 533mhz. I'm not sure why it would remember to set the clock speed to 666mhz as long as I continue to play the same game...

If it's supposed to do it automatically as you say Notaz, is there a file that handles that? Perhaps I'm missing that. I know my rom directory wasn't being saved because I neglected to include the romdir.txt file in my gpSP folder. Is there a similar text file or something that handles the game configurations?

My folder setup is as follow:

/roms (folder)
game_config.txt
gba_bios.bin
gpsp
gpsp.cfg
gpsp.gpe
gpsp.png
romdir.txt
warm_2.6.24.ko

Any suggestions Notaz or Exophase?

In the /roms folder, next to the actual ROM of Golden Sun, you should have a CFG file...
Such as...
Golden Sun (UE) [!].zip
Golden Sun (UE) [!].cfg

You cannot edit the cfg file by hand, but that is where the configuration for specific games is stored.
If you dont have the cfg file... I suspect your not saving the the options per game.
-DEJ

Hey everyone, how well is the screen tearing fix working? Are most games still able to run full speed without frame skipping with it enabled?

Also, anyone who also has a PSP - how is gpSP on Wiz compared to the PSP version? Better or worse in any way? I'd be curious to hear an impression or two.

Hey everyone, how well is the screen tearing fix working? Are most games still able to run full speed without frame skipping with it enabled?

Also, anyone who also has a PSP - how is gpSP on Wiz compared to the PSP version? Better or worse in any way? I'd be curious to hear an impression or two.
gpSP JUST came out for the Wiz, give it some time, jeez...

The fix works great. The performance hit is minimal.

[!].cfg

You cannot edit the cfg file by hand, but that is where the configuration for specific games is stored.
If you dont have the cfg file... I suspect your not saving the the options per game.
-DEJ
No, I have the cfg files. I was just talking about the files I had in the root folder /gpSP. I have cfg files for all the games I've been playing, but the clock speed resets to whatever I leave it at.

Do you have any trouble with this Dej? I know another user mentioned this same problem, so I don't think I'm the only one struggling with this issue.

It works fine for me, I don't really notice much difference in speed. I thought I noticed scrolling "catching" once in a while in some games but I think it may have done that anyway. If you poke up the clock speed to 600 from 533 MHz it seems to make up for any slight degradation. Metroid looks fantastic on that OLED though.

If you like the classics in MAME though I say the Wiz is definetly worth the price of admission in spite of tearing in some emus. It is like having a mini arcade in your pocket, the scrolling starfields in Galaga look sooooo much better than any LCD I have used, and vector games are fantastic. Play in a dark room and it looks so CRT-ish. It truly gives me that old classic "game room" feeling that I remember. Rotate the unit and hold vertical (menu button becomes fire) and it gives the correct arcade 2:3 aspect. Best yet the screen doesn't wash out when you rotate, like it does on an LCD.

Yep - what DaveC said - the screen tearing fix seems to have a very minimal effect, and upping the clock a shade undoubtedly compensates.

Galaga in a dark room and screen rotated is brilliant, and I was only playing thismorning a vector game (the name of which escapes me now) which is a part shooter and part platform game, and I was struck how cool it looked :)

All in all, the wiz is even better than I expected, so Prophet I'd say its a very worthy purchase indeed, I can almost guarantee you wouldn't be disappointed.

Cheers
Simon

Back