gpsp issue with Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga : freezes

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
As described in the subject, the game freezes not far from the beginning, when in the intro Mario starts fighting against Bowser - right when there is a 3D star zooming in on screen - 

Has anyone else experienced this issue ? ANy idea on how to solve it ? 

This is the first game on gpsp where I have such an issue. 

It's a timing problem which was supposed to have been corrected at some point on the PSP version, but I guess crept back into the ARM one.

It's a timing problem which was supposed to have been corrected at some point on the PSP version, but I guess crept back into the ARM one.
So, no way to run this at this point, in the current version, I guess?

So, no way to run this at this point, in the current version, I guess?

Sorry, I can't really help you.. I mean, I could look at it but I've kind of written off looking at gpSP a long time ago. Clean break et al.

There were actually two problems around that point. One was timing, where things needed to take more cycles to make it work. It seemed to be fixed by making things a bit closer to accurate on this front - originally I had all instructions take one cycle, then improved it so at least loads, stores, branches, etc took the fixed number of extra cycles, plus instructions took a memory wait state hit for where they executed from, but not what data they accessed. If need be a hack that just adds a cycle or two to every instruction's execution could fix this game, while probably breaking other stuff.

I also remember there was something broken with an ldm or stm instruction. The funny thing is that if one was fixed the other didn't need to be, I think..

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if it works for this game, but you could just take your save file, use it on some other gba emu to get past this part, then bring it back to gpsp to finish it off

Sorry, I can't really help you.. I mean, I could look at it but I've kind of written off looking at gpSP a long time ago. Clean break et al.

There were actually two problems around that point. One was timing, where things needed to take more cycles to make it work. It seemed to be fixed by making things a bit closer to accurate on this front - originally I had all instructions take one cycle, then improved it so at least loads, stores, branches, etc took the fixed number of extra cycles, plus instructions took a memory wait state hit for where they executed from, but not what data they accessed. If need be a hack that just adds a cycle or two to every instruction's execution could fix this game, while probably breaking other stuff.

I also remember there was something broken with an ldm or stm instruction. The funny thing is that if one was fixed the other didn't need to be, I think..
Do you think the suggestion of DaMummy (to make a savepoint in another emulator and then import it in gpsp again, provided the savefiles are compatible) would solve the issue or that the timing problem would occur anyway again later in the game ? 

I recall that it'll happen later in the game, possibly semi-randomly, before other battles. Sorry :/

Back