Non-Working Gba Games

Deevoh

Still Fresh
I've got a list of non-working gba games that either freeze or bring the Wiz back to the main menu (sometimes with a messed up screen).
It's all been tested on the latest version of gpSP using UNZIPPED roms.
Any idea whats preventing some of them not to work?

Here are the games..

Pokemon Emerald/Sapphire (Works when zipped)
Pokemon Pinball
Rockman EXE 4.5 (J) with english patch (Works when zipped)
Megaman Zero 1 (Works when zipped but it isn't playable due to the many graphical errors)
Sonic Pinball Party
Iridion II
Drill Dozer
Jurassic Park III Park Builder
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (Ball keeps rolling when hit)
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Kingdom Hearts (Works when unzipped, also must use Mega5657's save game on the second page of this thread)
Pinball Challenge Deluxe
The Pinball Of The Dead (Crashes after inputting high score)
Payback
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Crashes after entering a battle)

Some only run zipped and some only run unzipped.

While we're on the subject of gpSP is there any way to save the default settings (clock speed, frameskip etc.)?

Cheers, Neil

There´s a trick to make work some games, particulary the games that crash after the menu. You must get a savegame, in a later position, using a pc emulator and then put that savegame in the rom directory of gpSP, that way you can start the game from the saved position. In generally all the games that crases before you can get a savegame works with that. I played Kingdom Hearts using that trick.

Sorry for my embarrasing english. ;)

Added a few more.

Never tried that, Raindog.. but I'd rather have the games fully work where I can play them from the start.
Also noted that I'm using unzipped roms.

With GTA Advance you can use a saved game state and it works great - the whole game is fine and playable that way, you just need to load the savestate before doing the first mission. If anyone wants I can send them my savestate file for this game.

Raindog, don't appologise for your english - most of us are greatful when people use english despite it not being their first language. As long as I understand what you are saying it's fine.

could you upload the gta advance savegame? I tried making one but couldn't get it to work.

SONY, do you have any more to add? I'll keep adding more as I find out.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age crashes right when the beginning scene start. I'm going to try to save file thing... if I can get past that part

Rockman EXE 4.5 (J) with english patch only works if you zip it

EDIT: Megaman Zero 1 only works when zipped but it isn't playable due to the many graphical errors. (you can't really see anything but zero)
At least as far as I've tested it. All other megaman zero games play perfectly. (Again as far as I've tested them)

Activision Anthology doesn't work zipped. Don't know about unzipped.

EDIT: Never mind, it does work. The emulator just happened to freeze at the same time.

Nobody's mentioned Payback, I cant get that to work properly - the gfx are a mess.

Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge doesn't work either. Doesn't display intro cinematic and resets after a few seconds of gameplay displaying the GBA logo and restarting. Tried both Europe and US versions.

Bogeto said:
Sonic Advance crashes after a little bit for me.

I would love to play the game too myself....Golden sun, but it is crashing at the beginning of the game. Are there plans to improve the gameboy advance emulator for the Wiz? In fact, is there plans for continuing gameboy advance development for the Wiz? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simcity 2000 crashes or resets a few seconds after you begin to make a city.

mistersquirrle said:
Golden Sun: The Lost Age crashes right when the beginning scene start. I'm going to try to save file thing... if I can get past that part
I'm not sure if it would be worth it to play Golden Sun 2 - from the bit of Golden Sun 1 I've played on the Wiz, battles really make the Wiz choke and mess up the sound, even at 700MHz.

Still though, does anybody know of a computer emulator that can save .svs save states? All of the ones I've tried can only save to their own formats and to .sav (the way the real GBA saves stuff), but I can't get past the title screen with that.

EmuAlert said:
mistersquirrle said:
I'm not sure if it would be worth it to play Golden Sun 2 - from the bit of Golden Sun 1 I've played on the Wiz, battles really make the Wiz choke and mess up the sound, even at 700MHz.

Still though, does anybody know of a computer emulator that can save .svs save states? All of the ones I've tried can only save to their own formats and to .sav (the way the real GBA saves stuff), but I can't get past the title screen with that.
I used Visualboy and worked for me.

raindog said:
EmuAlert said:
mistersquirrle said:

I used Visualboy and worked for me.
I can save states in Visual Boy, but not in the .svs format, which is what the Wiz uses.

Back