Great Freeware

Text/Code Editor
Office/Productivity Apps
Context
Main Purpose: A text editor
Features : Syntax highlighting for common languages, more highlighters can be added by the user, file compare, tabbed windows.
Alternatives: Crismon Editor
I can't stand Context.. it has about the worst word-wrapping functionality I've ever seen. Try pasting in a really long line of text, and then word wrapping it. You can't! It only supports "hard wrapping" when you're entering new text.

I've tried tons of text/code editors over the years, Editpad, Notetab, PFE, Context, UltraEdit, etc ad nauseum. The one I've finally settled on? Notepad++. This one is perfect. It has all the features you mentioned from Context... 27 built in syntax highlighters, plus user definable ones, block-level code folding, tabbed views PLUS multi-view (you can view two "tab panes" side by side, so you can see 2 documents, or 2 views of the same document, at the same time), view hidden characters, and much more.

FTP Client
I've always liked SmartFTP. It shows you a tree-view of the remote FTP site, which I really like.

Image viewer
IrfanView. Best lightweight image browser/editor ever. It can read and write an obscene number of different formats, including audio and movies. It's also updated ALL THE TIME.. I've been using this program since 1997 (when it was the only program in the world that could display animated GIFs, except browsers) and every time I check the page a new version is out. I use this for browsing images, and then a quick keystroke can send it to your favourite editor like Photoshop, Gimp, or PSP.

Misc Utilities
TurboTop. This tiny little program sits in your system tray, and you can use it to make any window you want "Always On Top". Very handy. Windows should have this built in.

Panorama 32. Random wallpaper changer. I have mine set to change my wallpaper every 24 hours, or when I boot my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also reccomend 'StepMania' the DDR simulator :)
Yeah, I've played SM for probably hundreds of hours... not bad for something free, but it requires downloading slightly less-than-legal music to be enjoyable.

http://www.heinz-repp.onlinehome.de/HEXMINEW.ZIP - HexMines is hexagonal minesweeper and it's amusing

http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html - I'm sure everyone knows about this, but Cave Story is an awesome little platformer/pseduo-RPG/shooter.

And then there's Subspace, both addictive and immensely frustrating at the same time.

Finally: NetHack cannot be avoided. You simply can't not play it and die a happy man. Read the guidebook, fire up the ASCII version (graphics are for losers) and stumble in bewilderment dying continually until you read some spoiler sites.

Does anyoe know of any great free skinning programs for windows, themes and such?

BB4WIN, definately B)

I'm using GIMP 2 quite a lot,
FirstPage 2000 for web editing,
Audacity for audio stuff,
winamp for playing music,
and Miranda with some fancy combination of plugins that does not always work but when it does, it looks cool.
messed around for like 2 minutes with "SphereXP",too, which turns your Desktop and place for windows into 3d (ie the inner side of a sphere) ... didnt seem to like BB4WIN, though...

regards, and thanks to all the others for tips :)

Text/Code Editor
Office/Productivity Apps
Context
Main Purpose: A text editor
Features : Syntax highlighting for common languages, more highlighters can be added by the user, file compare, tabbed windows.
Alternatives: Crismon Editor
I can't stand Context.. it has about the worst word-wrapping functionality I've ever seen. Try pasting in a really long line of text, and then word wrapping it. You can't! It only supports "hard wrapping" when you're entering new text.

I've tried tons of text/code editors over the years, Editpad, Notetab, PFE, Context, UltraEdit, etc ad nauseum. The one I've finally settled on? Notepad++. This one is perfect. It has all the features you mentioned from Context... 27 built in syntax highlighters, plus user definable ones, block-level code folding, tabbed views PLUS multi-view (you can view two "tab panes" side by side, so you can see 2 documents, or 2 views of the same document, at the same time), view hidden characters, and much more.
I agree on that crappy "wordwrap" feature., I had to use Notepad2 for that reason..... Notepad++ looks interesting though, I might have to give that a try.... Is smartftp freeware though?

Zelda Classic great freeware game

remake of the orgional Zelda game and it also has BS Zelda

you cna make your own quests too which is really cool

Looks awesome! :)
it is, I want it on my gp32!! too bad it isn't open-source :angry:

Yeah, I asked them years ago if they would share the source with a GP-coder for a port - but they neglected :(

And while we're playing games: Don't miss out T2002!

Oh, and no download game, but you can play the classic AlterEgo game using alterego.gp32x.de

Last edited:
Damn, I forgot to mention what may be one of the best games available for download:

Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters. It's a port of (mostly) the 3DO version of Star Control 2, which is one of the best games ever made (that is a fact, not an opinion :D), configured to work for modern machines. Basically it's a whole mishmash of different genres built around a great and hilarious sci-fi story. The game is absolutely huge, too - you'll be playing for a while.

Version 0.4.0 just came out a month ago, so I'm very happy. :)

Back