Gui Designer / Bash Script Executer

Pleng

OK so the built in config tools do their job ok, but they aren't very finger friendly. What we need are nice bold dialogs such as the log-off one. I've had a look into Zenity and as far as I can tell there's little that can be done in relation to actually changing the size of gadgets displayed on screen.

I don't mind having a stab at a few myself, if there are tools out there to help. Is there some kind of GUI desgner for Linux which will allow bash scripts to be attached to controls? I'm thinking something along the lines of a very basic visual studio clone I guess.

Pleng said:
OK so the built in config tools do their job ok, but they aren't very finger friendly. What we need are nice bold dialogs such as the log-off one. I've had a look into Zenity and as far as I can tell there's little that can be done in relation to actually changing the size of gadgets displayed on screen.

I don't mind having a stab at a few myself, if there are tools out there to help. Is there some kind of GUI desgner for Linux which will allow bash scripts to be attached to controls? I'm thinking something along the lines of a very basic visual studio clone I guess.
Nope, Zenity is as good as it gets so far. Anything more complex requires some Python and GTK+ work. In all honesty though, Python is just another scripting language, and not very difficult. So, since you're already comfortable with learning Bash, you might as well pick up some Python too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a shame. Linux could really do with a visual development environment. A Gui designer that could attach bash scripts to components would be fantastic.

I had a look at Gambas but as far as I can tell there's no way to compile Gambas apps for ARM.

And I don't really want to learn a whole new language (python) just to make a couple of guis.

Not the nicest end result and would require a webservice to be installed but you coud use some bash cgi. That way all the controls can be made from html items.

OK Cool, thanks. I'll have a look at that.

I also had a though. Is it possible to use visual c++ to create an application, then compile it using another complier? Or does Microsoft bung in a load of proprietary things in there?

(I don't know how to program c++ but I know a bit of C and I only need to really learn the command to execute a bash script!)

(edit: ok I've had a look at GTKDialog. Any binaries available that will work on Pandora?)

edit 2: Never mind. Glade is absolutely awful. I don't have the patience for it. I'll make do with the current guis.

Hmm Gambas apparently has ARM support now and it's in the Debain ARM repositories. Might check that out.

Hrr! I was SURE I made a big long tutorial post that had a go at Python, but it seems it didn't work. Or mebe a python-loving mod removed it :p . (If that is the case, i respect your decision, just lemme know?)

On with the show (again):
Check out FLTK/FLUID. FLTK stands for 'Fast Light ToolKit' and FLUID stands for Fast Light User Interface Designer. Therefore it's perfect for a device like the Pandora (or any other bloody device - When computers get faster, they should get FASTER, not prettier(or just slower for no good reason)).
Finding the tutorials I used for FLUID was kinda hard, since FLTK/FLUID has dropped out of common usage in favor of GTK/Qt, for some odd reason. So I won't be (re)posting a huge big tutorial unless I can confirm you still need it. ...meaning, let me know if you need help, I have no problem providing it :D .
Also it's C/C++, and I mean real C/C++ - you can actually COMPILE it, with a REAL COMPILER like gcc/g++. No interpreted Python! No VM (proprietary!!! Unless you, like me, use OpenJDK) Java! Woot! (while i'm here, if you're gonna use an interpreted language, use python. Ruby's just SLOW and Java's just so terrible somehow people may be tricked into believing it's decent. And tbh I don't have a lot of experience with Perl, but it's not even bytecode, it's gotta suck. I assume you're not using these bash scripts for anything but mounting and stuff - what they're designed for).

In summary..
Benefits - Fast. Light(suck it java! Why am I picking on Java now, noone suggested it, lol (that's a GOOD THING)). Little dependancies.
Downsides - FLTK is fast and light. FLTK. not SPTK(Slow pretty toolkit). So it's not pretty like GTK and stuff...but for executing scripts it's FINE. (If you prefer form over function, you should have got an iPad (or more accurate, the iFad. These things are just a craze) :p ).

Uhh, sorry to (language warning) bitch so much in a post intended to help people - I hope it does help, and i'm not intending to start a flamewar. I seriously do recommend FLTK - I even found it easier to use than Glade and Qt Designer. GTKDialog looks quite easy to use(which is good) but it's so damn hackish (not good) :p . FLTK will also help save battery power, i'd recommend everyone use it for GUIs on the Pandora. While we're at it, LXDE/Openbox anyone?

EDIT: I should note that I do know that the iPad wasn't even thought of when the Original Poster ordered his Pandora, and that I don't claim to be some leet C/C++ coder. Just because not mentioning those things could trigger the flames of doom.

Back