Hacked Psp Vs. Gp2x

psps is miles better i don;t know how u guys can say that gp2x is well not a t the moment it is slow, full of bugs plus psps 3d games r getting better and better and the emus on it will always be better

lodoss118 posted on Mar 11 2006 at 01:53 PM said:
psps is miles better i don;t know how u guys can say that gp2x is well not a t the moment it is slow, full of bugs plus psps 3d games r getting better and better and the emus on it will always be better
Permission to flame, sir!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever explains what the hell he just said gets a cookie.

Edit: lodoss118 that is, not the fast posting nickspoon. He's just a bastard :p

PSP Fanboy said:

Just in case you can't read retard-speak:
The PSP is much better, I don't know how you guys can say that the GP2X is. It isn't at the moment because it is slow and full of bugs, plus the PSP's 3D games are getting better and better and the emus on it will always be better.

I think what he's trying to get at is that the PSP is better than the GP2X for everything full stop, now fuck off and buy a PSP.

If you can't back it up, don't say it at all. And that was a REALLY smart move, lodoss, posting a "pspee iz beter dan da geepee2ex 4 evryfing" post in a GP2X forum. I'm very sure a post like that won't get you flamed. Ever. [/sarcasm]

Is that worth a cookie?

So the GP2X has NeoGeo, the PSP has SNES. It will even out though in the long term i'd think (unless sony lock down the PSP forever).

However the GP2X is the only true open console of the two...

Since getting DaveC's cap i've forgotten all about the joystick issues. The cap solves it. Buy it now.

Oh yeah - GP2X has TV out :) That for me is the killer.

Wow, lots of useful info here. Thanks everyone! I can certainly see the advantages to both at this point. What worries me is that the PSP 1.5 is getting harder to come by but it is more of a hassle. Tough choice. Although since I hate Sony so much why should I buy a PSP? The GP2X seems to be the way to go.

Although, if the SNES never gets up to full speed I may not be interested. Why is that such a problem anyway? It is a 16-bit system. I know the Mega Drive/Genesis is less complex than SNES which I guess is why it works so well, but still the SNES isn't THAT much better. I mean, if they are literally attempting to get Playstation games to work on this thing (some of which are almost in working form) I can't imagine the SNES not working at full speed.

Just my thoughts.

i bought a psp a while ago but the firmware was already 2.01 so no homebrews. only through the GTA hack which currently plays the snes emulator at too slow a speed.

sony doesn't want anyone playing homebrew. GP2X does. so for homebrew get a GP2X and for the latest 3D games on a console buy the PSP. gp32_console

Honestly, the PSP is not a bad system. I still drool over it. The PSP is certainly a dream handheld, designed to be the greatest ever created to date. However, that being with comercial implications as a priority over the user's freedom. NOT deeming the PSP anyless of a handheld, yet it does dictate what you can ultimately do with it, and many people are still very happy with the PSP dispite this.

On the other hand, the GP2X was designed with the same goal in mind, to creat the greatest handheld to-date. With less of a priority put on commercialization and more put on giving the user the freedom to use the GP2X to its fullest and most satisfactory potential.

The GP2X user is the hobbyist, the do-it-yourself-er. Like buddy down the street that builds his own computers, a user that wants to try everything possible with his GP2X and never underestimates it's capabilities.

While the happiest PSP user is delighted in holding the state-of-the-art, spared-no-expense, pinnacle of design, art and style - bringing to life the dream of the ultimate in handheld entertainment- served on a platter.

From the very first days of the GP2X's release, ever single anticipated step, be it the creation of ATARI, SNES, and even PSX emulation, everyone became a skeptic, already branding the GP2X of never being able to emulate, or more accurately, virtualize these consoles. Yet the developers do it anyway. Why? they know the real potential of the GP2X, they don't underestimate it and they don't bother with the sometimes childish debates in forums. Not only will PSX emulation on the GP2X be full speed, but many, if not all current emulators being developed for the GP2X will be full speed aswell. And nearly any game can be cloned. Mario 64 can easily be cloned using a 3D engine coded for the GP2X. It would certainly not be a 64 emulator, and nor would it equal the polygons used in the original Mario 64 game, however it would be virtualized, the experience of playing it will be satisfactorily replicated on the GP2X. That is the real potential and method of emulation.

Great post LordJohnnie. And your probably right. The human spirit seems to always do the impossible and things that people say cannot be done. I think you have single handedly convinced me that I am most definetly now getting a GP2X. I realised that I have no interest in playing the new games on the PSP. I am just now starting to play Playstation One games (although only through an emulator on my PC because I refuse to support Sony by buying the console, I'm a Sega Fanboy). The only reason I was considering a PSP at all was because of Emulation, but now since I have discovered the GP2X and it was practially made with this in mind, I don't see how I can pass it up.

I have a couple more things I was thinking about that I'll address also.

I own a lot of older systems and games although I play them all through emulators on a powerful PC that has an S-Video out to my TV and it is better than playing them on the actual console (because of the S-Video quality and filtering of the emulators). The whole thing that got me interested in this is the fact that if I had a hand held that supported emulation, could I transfer my saved games to the handheld and then play them on the run?

For instance, say I was playing Final Fantasy 2 (aka FF4) on a SNES emulator on my PC and I had to go somewhere but still wanted to play the game. Could I copy the save file from the game from ZSNES on my PC and use it on the SNES emulator on the GP2X? I'm guessing at this point, probably not. But I'm wondering if it is something that will happen.

Just the possibilities get my curious. But I'm pretty positive I know which hand held I'm going for now.

But like the other guy says the PSP has been out a year already. In a years time come back to this argument.

I would rather give my money for the GP2X which is open source rather than Sony.

Maybe I hate the shit blurry screen stretching and fuzzy filtering on those PSP emus. Oh yeah you can run the emus at 1:1 too if you want it sharp but then end up with a GBA micro sized image, no thanks. Then there is the severe ghosting as well. The screen will mean the PSP is always worst for emus no matter how fast they run. Oh I have a PSP, V1.5. It is a great 3D handheld, a polygon monster.

zfunk007 posted on Mar 11 2006 at 04:25 PM said:
I own a lot of older systems and games although I play them all through emulators on a powerful PC that has an S-Video out to my TV and it is better than playing them on the actual console (because of the S-Video quality and filtering of the emulators). The whole thing that got me interested in this is the fact that if I had a hand held that supported emulation, could I transfer my saved games to the handheld and then play them on the run?

For instance, say I was playing Final Fantasy 2 (aka FF4) on a SNES emulator on my PC and I had to go somewhere but still wanted to play the game. Could I copy the save file from the game from ZSNES on my PC and use it on the SNES emulator on the GP2X? I'm guessing at this point, probably not. But I'm wondering if it is something that will happen.

Sorry, but save states are not usually compatible. Will it happen? doubtful because most emus on the GP2X are very optimised to run on it. This means many routeens are totally re-written. I think it could be possible but it is un-likely at this time. The good thing is that you can exclusively use the GP2X for emulation. When using s-video just use TV-out on the GP2X. When playing on the go just use the built in screen. The good thing about the GP2X, and it will probably be this way for awhile is that the GP2X screen resolution matches emulated games very well. This means you can play at 1:1 pixel mapping with no blurry filtering on the GP2X and it is sharper and clearer than even the original console. The PSP by the way needs that filtering that you don't like to get a decent image size due to the res.

Dingo_aus posted on Mar 11 2006 at 01:16 AM said:
I was really scared about the joystick from people's comment here but I bought a GP2X nonetheless.

Now I really can't see what some people are talking about. I have just the standard stick and I've had no problems playing games. I've played a hell of a lot of Sonic, Shinobi, TMNT, Chess etc etc etc and never had a problem personally.

So, personally, I can't understand the reports of the stick being a "showstopper".
Depends on what you're playing. The games you mention don't exactly require precise directional control, especially Sonic where you more or less only have to worry about the one axis of movement. If you're into shooting games where the difference between left and up-left is the difference between life and death, you'll have a lot more to complain about. Same problem with fighting games, don't expect special moves to ever come out. The deadzone doesn't exactly help either. I'm shocked that there are so many apologists for such a blatantly substandard set of controls to be honest.

The PSP is certainly not without control problems, but generally they're up to the task and don't kill the gaming experience.

Willei posted on Mar 11 2006 at 06:51 PM said:
Depends on what you're playing. The games you mention don't exactly require precise directional control, especially Sonic where you more or less only have to worry about the one axis of movement. If you're into shooting games where the difference between left and up-left is the difference between life and death, you'll have a lot more to complain about. Same problem with fighting games, don't expect special moves to ever come out. The deadzone doesn't exactly help either. I'm shocked that there are so many apologists for such a blatantly substandard set of controls to be honest.

The PSP is certainly not without control problems, but generally they're up to the task and don't kill the gaming experience.

I don't seem to have that much trouble anymore. The control is not *perfect* but it is not unuseable. It could be worse. If you have my cap and it is installed correctly you shouldn't have that much trouble (make sure it is down far enough, it should almost touch the top of the case in at least 1 direction when pressed to the limit). I play everything from MsPacman to Last resort and it doesn't kill me.

DaveC posted on Mar 11 2006 at 08:49 PM said:
Sorry, but save states are not usually compatible. Will it happen? doubtful because most emus on the GP2X are very optimised to run on it.

Sorry to just break in:
I guess he didn't talk about save STATES.
He talked about SAVING itself and games like FFIV, which have a few transparency problems.

Saving using SRAM is compatible with most emulators, as they just dump the original save data of the cartridge.
I also did that quite a few times where I had some non-playable stuff on an emulator.

Last edited:
Yes I pretty much figured saved states wouldn't be compatible because you are using different emulators. The SRAM was what I was talking about (just wasn't familiar with the terminology). Because I tried it with Final Fantasy 3 from ZNES to SNES9X and it worked fine. So maybe it would work on the GP2X. I guess I'll find out. If of course they can get the SNES emulator working really good that is...

zfunk007 posted on Mar 11 2006 at 08:11 PM said:
Yes I pretty much figured saved states wouldn't be compatible because you are using different emulators. The SRAM was what I was talking about (just wasn't familiar with the terminology). Because I tried it with Final Fantasy 3 from ZNES to SNES9X and it worked fine. So maybe it would work on the GP2X. I guess I'll find out. If of course they can get the SNES emulator working really good that is...

Copied my Earthbound save file to the SquideSNES folder, and it worked just fine.

Some things to consider...

The PSP is around $250 from a reputable dealer. I ordered my gpx2 from the UK to the US for $185 delivered. Plus you need to buy one of those horrid memory sticks for the psp, where as I already have a 2gb high speed sd card.

I tried playing a PSP at a gamestop and the load times were shocking. I couldn't believe it. It was a lame fighting game, I don't remember the title. So the retail games are not a selling point for me.

Honestly, I'd rather play the emu's at 1x1 resolution. Dealing with streaching and v-sync issues is such a pain. I just hope some clever programmer can find a way to use the second core for something useful, like audio processing perhaps.

Copied my Earthbound save file to the SquideSNES folder, and it worked just fine.

Woot! Well another positive sign then. This is good news. About those SD Cards... how much does a 2 gig run anyway? And is there a big difference between high speed and normal?

Forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about SD cards...

Back