Hacked Psp Vs. Gp2x

if you want commercial games that are orginal go with a ds

if you want commercial games that are basically the same as home playstation games but have pretty 3d get a psp. if can do homebrew and emulation but the fact that you need hacks and stuff makes it not even worth it for me.

if you just want an enthusiastic homebrew community and emulation go for a gp2x. works well as a mp3 and video player too plus sd cards are cheaper. emulation on gp2x is already very good and will only get better. plus i like that the designed is designed to play homebrew with no hassle unlike psp which it also seems on some fw you are screwed if you want homebrew. with gp2x there are no limits and no attempt at keeping us from using the gp2x how we want.

zfunk007 posted on Mar 12 2006 at 05:23 AM said:
Copied my Earthbound save file to the SquideSNES folder, and it worked just fine.

Woot! Well another positive sign then. This is good news. About those SD Cards... how much does a 2 gig run anyway? And is there a big difference between high speed and normal?

Forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about SD cards...
2 gig cards run just fine. Whether or not you buy a high-speed one is up to you, it won't affect game performance as there's a limit to how fast the GP2X can read (which is below many of the slowest SDs, but don't be discouraged, no games need a higher speed). However if you'll be transferring big files like movies and don't want to wait, you should by a fairly new card reader and a high-speed card (even if you don't want to transfer big files, get a card reader as the GP2X USB is a bit iffy at best).

Last edited by a moderator:
zfunk007 posted on Mar 11 2006 at 03:24 PM said:
Although, if the SNES never gets up to full speed I may not be interested. Why is that such a problem anyway? It is a 16-bit system. I know the Mega Drive/Genesis is less complex than SNES which I guess is why it works so well, but still the SNES isn't THAT much better. I mean, if they are literally attempting to get Playstation games to work on this thing (some of which are almost in working form) I can't imagine the SNES not working at full speed.
The genesis/megadrive emulator was not made originally for the gp2x! It has been worked on for the gp32 for quite some time before the gp2x came out and it was ported to the gp2x by its original coder, Reesy. That is why we already have a genesis/megadrive emulator. To get snes running full-speed we would need a devoted coder who knows what he/she is doing and is willing to give up a large chunk of their life for it.

zfunk007 posted on Mar 12 2006 at 05:23 AM said:
About those SD Cards... how much does a 2 gig run anyway? And is there a big difference between high speed and normal?

Forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about SD cards...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820211029
^This is the best deal I have ever seen on a 2GB SD card. If you are getting a gp2x, I would definitely recommend getting this. High speed cards will copy files from your computer over to the SD card quicker, but it will not improve the speed on the gp2x.

Ahhh so the problem seems to be man power for these emulators. We just need people who are willing to commit to getting them to work (damn I wish I knew programming sometimes). Well I suppose that will come in time. This lovely hand held already seems to have a great following as it is. I mean, the GP32 was successful enough to warrant a successor so it is only a matter of time.

We will see...

And thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it!

And don't forget all those amazing homebrews.
Honestly, I've never enjoy (nor try) homebrews, all my bucks were simply for emus.

But when I tried one of the FIRST homebrews, it totally blew me away, and now I really enjoy every new homebrew.

I hope you will like them, too :lol:

Speaking of homebrew, what are some of the homebrews that have been done so far? And also, I heard people have ported over games like Duke 3D and some other PC games so that they are optimized to run on the GP2X. Is this true?

Man, I'd love to see a port of some of the older Ultima games, like Ultima 7. That would be incredible...

zfunk007 posted on Mar 13 2006 at 12:00 PM said:
Speaking of homebrew, what are some of the homebrews that have been done so far? And also, I heard people have ported over games like Duke 3D and some other PC games so that they are optimized to run on the GP2X. Is this true?

Man, I'd love to see a port of some of the older Ultima games, like Ultima 7. That would be incredible...
Ultima 7 has an interpreter (meaning you ahve to get ahold of the original game to pull copywritten files) called Exhult already available. There is one for Ultima 6 as well I think.
Same for PBoom (Doom), Duke 3d, Quake, Quake II, SCUMM games, commander keen, jazz jackrabbit, etc...

Star Control II has been fully ported as Ur_Quan Masters.

However, those games you listed are NOT homebrew, they are ports/interpreters of commercial games. Homebrew games are games like Vektar, Extraterrestres, and Beat2X. They are games that are made from scratch in their creators free time and released for free. They are my favorite thing about the gp32 and will hopefully be just as successful on the gp2x.

Yes, I should clarify, about 70% of my time is spent with Vektar(which accounts for the lions share right now) , Noiz2sa, Spout, Bubbletrain, manticore, Sodeku,and Kobo Deluxe.
These are fun, great little games.

i have both a 2.0->1.5 PSP and a GP2X
the gp2x has a better 1:1 setting for genesis, but it gets messed up because the gp2x screen has a really weird refresh rate that causes many black scanlines
genesis plays about the same on both, but ill give the gp2x a winner here
snes-> plays A LOT better on the psp, with accelerated hardware and all :D
nes-> psp, no doubt
gba-> psp, some games are very playable, while on the gp2x you just see them launch in like 6fps hah
basically, everything is better on the psp, except genesis because its pretty much the same on both (and maybe snes if you dont like stretching up) (all the others have multiple-based stretching, so it keps the aspect ratio)

on all emu's you have lots of display options for the psp, so, for example, snes on the psp: you have 1:1 available (not much smaller than the gp2x screen, because the pixel size is bigger so its the same in the long run) then you have kickass stretching techniques like filters and smoothing. you can resizing to full screen or keeping the aspect ratio if you like so.

i read somewhere that you can play copied/homebrew on any version firmware now ..forgot where..search for yourself

Paradox posted on Mar 13 2006 at 06:30 PM said:
i read somewhere that you can play copied/homebrew on any version firmware now ..forgot where..search for yourself
Ya, but its very limited and you need GTA.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. posted on Mar 13 2006 at 11:08 PM said:
on all emu's you have lots of display options for the psp, so, for example, snes on the psp: you have 1:1 available (not much smaller than the gp2x screen, because the pixel size is bigger so its the same in the long run) then you have kickass stretching techniques like filters and smoothing. you can resizing to full screen or keeping the aspect ratio if you like so.

You lie. Emus on the PSP at 1:1 are much smaller in screen size. First off the height of the PSP screen is shorter, second the vertical resolution is 272 making the image VERY small at 1:1. The pixel size on the PSP is smaller not bigger, that is how you get 272 pixels in a shorter height screen than the taller and 240 pixel high GP2X screen, DUH :rolleyes: Yes SNES IS smaller at 1:1 on PSP, not the same, I have it on the PSP and you lie. You almost HAVE to stretch the image to get a decent size. As soon as you stretch you get filter blurr and distortion. You bitch and moan about faint scanlines on the GP2X, but then say that the much more noticeable stretching, distortion and ghosting on the PSP is "kickass" even though the image is a blurry mess. You are just a fanboi and make no sense. The PSP isn't a bad system but you are full of shit.

You run around all of the boards complaining about the GP2X and putting a stupid link in your sig "GP2X problems read" to try to keep anyone from buying it. I could just as easy make a list "PSP problems - read" To be honest I am quite suprised of the problems on the PSP. Sony is a massive company, they spend more on paperclips in one week than GPH makes in 5 years. Yet they release a system with more bad pixels than any system in memory, have a d-pad that doesn't do diagonals, buttons that stick, a screen refresh rate that makes the original yellow Gameboy screen look fast, and a pathetic battery life that goes dead even when you are not using it. GPH is a tiny company with an even smaller budget so I understand a few glitches in the beginning. What is Sony's excuse? You are a complete wacko and PSP fanboi ;) Stop lying.

The PSP has very good snes emulation, but it has a terrible screen, it has sony battling homebrew/emulation, and it doesn't have any other emulators that are significant over what the gp2x has or could easily have.

Gogeta:
your comparison doesn't make sense. It seems to be biased towards the psp, saying that "everything" on the psp is better while only comparing the emulation of four systems: genesis, snes, nes, and gba. It also argues that the psp's screen is better than the gp2x's, which means you are either very stupid and honestly believe it or you are just being a psp fanboi. I admit that the snes emulation on the psp is much better than the snes emulation on the gp2x, but you forget to mention things that the gp2x has that the psp doesn't or things the gp2x does better than the psp. Your writeup is incomplete and psp biased. Please stop flooding the boards with this crap.

I got a Jap 1.0 PSP just to play homebrew (okay, upgraded it to 1.5, as it is best for homebrew).

Yes, speedwise, SNES is a dream.
But: The picture IS terrible. The ghosting is annoying me most. The small picture (if you want it without any blurring) looks sooo tiny, the stretched ones blur like hell (well, that's okay, cause they would look more ugly without blurring...)

And: I am one of the many who suffer from some typical PSP-Issues:
My screen has about 20 stuck pixel (yes, tried the stuck pixel fixer for about 10 hours). And my buttons hang and screak (yup, that was one fault in quite a lot of the first units).
I can't exchange it as Sony will put a non-homebrew firmware on it and won't support it as I imported it.
Cool.

What I hate most: The way to run homebrew. I hate the hiding of directories and the need for two directories for each program with a certain EBoot... geez.

Before anybody says I'm a GP32 / gp2x-Fanboy: No, I'm not.
I bought the PSP before I even heard of the gp2x and I did also create a PSP File Archive, though this archive is dead since October (didn't update it) because the different running-methods since FW 2.0 is out did piss me off.

So, performance-wise, the PSP is better.
But the handling of the gp2x and the screen is much better for most of the stuff I wanna do.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. posted on Mar 13 2006 at 11:08 PM said:
basically, everything is better on the psp, except genesis

Off the top of my head... Neogeo?

If the PSP has a better joy pad, I might think about buying one. The GP2x joypad sucks and it seems strainge why they used this hybrib koystick/joypad thing that doesn't do either job very well.

Why could they just use a simple digital joypad. It's not like we're going to see a load of F.P.S. games on this machine.

Back