Hacked Psp Vs. Gp2x

Scanlines? You guys are scaring me. :p

I have a PSP, and I think the screen is absolutely perfect except for one thing: the ghosting. For example, I think that Super Mario Bros. and Castlevania are nearly unplayable. It may just be my eyes, but it really irrtates me that much. It's fine for 3D games, but 2D games seem to suffer quite a bit because of the slow response rate.

Therefore, what are the problems of the GP2X screen? Are there scanline issues? Is it a hardware or software issue?

Also, how does the screen of the GP2X compare to the screens of the Nintendo DS?

The GP2X's screen has some very mild scanline problems... almost unnoticeable on my system, even when you look hard. On others', it's more apparent. It's supposedly all software, and has to do with the way the LCD is controlled (or something).

There is no ghosting whatsoever. None.

The GP2X's screen is considerably brighter than the DS's, and just a little bit short of the PSP's. Also, I've found that it takes direct sunlight the best out of the three.

The GP2X also has the clearest screen. Good saturation, good contrast, nice pixel size, just like the DS screen.

one thing GPH got right on the 2X is the screen :) i dont even have any milkd scanline problems, unless im just blind to them o_o

About the direct sunlight thingy,
Do you think it would be possible to use some kind matte screen protecter to reduce glare?

i take it that the psp doesnt have a "suspend to memory stick mode"?

and i guess that it will never have due to low-level system freedom being needed?

the fact that its likely we will get a suspend to sd card app is what wins for me. The handheld holy grail, for me, is to be able to have 2-3 spare minutes at any time in which i can take out, turn on, progress in a game and switch off. With minimum fuss.

Can anybody with both a PSP and GPX2 do a side-by-side comparison of, say, Super Mario Bros. in the default resolution of the NES (i.e., without stretching or any other distortion)?

And just see how much it blurs and whatnot, especially in World 1-2, because the PSP seemed to blur to hell in that stage against the black background. I mean, it was clear as you could ask for when it was still, but as soon as Mario started moving, it looked like crap.

iignotus posted on Mar 14 2006 at 05:44 AM said:
of the PSP's. Also, I've found that it takes direct sunlight the best out of the three.

The GP2X also has the clearest screen. Good saturation, good contrast, nice pixel size, just like the DS screen.

The GP2X is actually better in contrast than the DS screen not the same, at least in the 1.0.1 FW where the brightness is not cranked way up. The DS screen has poor black level, it is kind of washed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Mar 14 2006 at 10:10 AM said:
of the PSP's. Also, I've found that it takes direct sunlight the best out of the three.

The GP2X is actually better in contrast than the DS screen not the same, at least in the 1.0.1 FW where the brightness is not cranked way up. The DS screen has poor black level, it is kind of washed out.
The DS Lite fixes that.

deepmenace posted on Mar 14 2006 at 08:39 AM said:

and i guess that it will never have due to low-level system freedom being needed?

the fact that its likely we will get a suspend to sd card app is what wins for me. The handheld holy grail, for me, is to be able to have 2-3 spare minutes at any time in which i can take out, turn on, progress in a game and switch off. With minimum fuss.
I think the psp has a suspend mode, im guessing its keeping some of the ram alive with the battery?

Draco posted on Mar 14 2006 at 03:55 PM said:
deepmenace posted on Mar 14 2006 at 08:39 AM said:

the fact that its likely we will get a suspend to sd card app is what wins for me.  The handheld holy grail, for me, is to be able to have 2-3 spare minutes at any time in which i can take out, turn on, progress in a game and switch off. With minimum fuss.
I think the psp has a suspend mode, im guessing its keeping some of the ram alive with the battery?

Yes it has a sleep mode. That is why you have to babysit the battery and remember to charge every couple of weeks even if not using. It is actually kind of annoying if you don't use and charge everyday, it will go dead on it's own.

DaveC posted on Mar 14 2006 at 10:10 AM said:

I actually meant that only the good pixel size was comparable to the DS, and I agree 100% with your comment. I just totally fucked up that sentence, I guess :)

Well, glad to see this thread is going well! Thanks for all the info and speculation. But when I buy a handheld I know which one it will be. The GP2X hands down. I am still curious about a lot of things and I have a friend with a hacked PSP that he will be showing me soon enough so I can see for myself.

What exactly is "ghosting" anyway? I keep hearing that term and I don't know what it means.

zfunk007 posted on Mar 16 2006 at 12:32 AM said:
What exactly is "ghosting" anyway? I keep hearing that term and I don't know what it means.
Almost like blurring, it is when a faint (or not so faint :p ) "ghost" of the previous frame is blended in with the frame being currently drawn, almost always due to a long response time in the LCD controller.

talking about emulation... try the amiga emulator and a game called K240 or Robocod.

snes through a 2.01 Eboot psp even at overclocking is far slower (at the same game = chronotrigger) than the GP2X. save states work as well.

if other people using 1.5 psp's get it at a decent speed then a gta hacked psp must run emulators slower... gp32_console

as for TV out - check out how much it costs for those commercial retro game joystick things that plug into the TV with only a few C64 or megadrive games on them...

amcdermo posted on Mar 16 2006 at 06:28 PM said:
if other people using 1.5 psp's get it at a decent speed then a gta hacked psp must run emulators slower... gp32_console

They do. The GTA Hack runs everything slower.
SNES really runs good, performance wise, on the PSP. Much better than on the gp2x.
But because of the blurring and ugly LCD, I don't play it :)

Last edited:
Paradox posted on Mar 14 2006 at 07:48 AM said:
one thing GPH got right on the 2X is the screen :) i dont even have any milkd scanline problems, unless im just blind to them o_o

Then better hope your doesn't break. From what Craig said it looks like they may go back to the BLU+ screens because they can't get these anymore. The BLU+ screens are dim and have faded, washed out color compared to the GP2X.

DaveC said:
From what Craig said it looks like they may go back to the BLU+ screens because they can't get these anymore.

I could be wrong, but I believe he just said they will be sourcing a different screen/supplier -- he didn't mention specifically going back to the BLU+ screen.

I'd be very interested to know if he DID say that (as I haven't yet ordered my GP2X), so please give me a link to it if I missed it?

The scanline issue seems largely perceptual-- I can't notice it most of the time, and honestly, I think it looks kind of interesting, not boring like your usual ultra-expensive transflective display. The backlighting is more even than the GBA SP or original DS displays, too. The noticability of the scanlining varies DRAMATICALLY from application to application. It's fairly noticable in the menus and DrMDx, it's EXTREMELY obvious as the system first kicks in before the kernel has loaded and displayed the green Loading screen, it's imperceptible in gnGeo2x .. rather erratic. But I'd never say it posed any sort of a major problem for me.

Back