Had A Gp32, Thinking About Getting A Gp2x

bizt

Still Fresh
Hi,

I used to own a GP32 and although I found the concept of being able to download emulators and play many classic games, I wasnt too impressed with the console.

Firstly, I didnt like the fact that it didnt have a backlight although Im aware that other versions (ie. FLU) came out and more aware that the GP2X comes with this.

Secondly, emulators for the consoles that I enjoyed playing didnt work all that great although I found the Atari ST one to be very good (even though it didnt play my all time favourite game, Sensible Soccer). I thought that the SNES and Megadrive / Genesis ones not too good. Maybe just not enough power from the console.

Anyway, would someone be kind enough to give me an honest review of these emulators perfomance. Im obviously looking for fast (with sound) play but also a wide support for roms. Thanks in advance.

Bizt

Holy crud!

* Gasps at member number *

Genesis is perfect. No shit! 99% of the games run perfectly.

SNES is getting there. Donkey Kong Country is about 90% Many other games too ... just that nagging transparancy issue ...

Just have a quick search on the forums ... and stick around awhile :)

bizt posted on Apr 30 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
I thought that the SNES and Megadrive / Genesis ones not too good.
Meanwhile there´s an excellent Megadrive emulator for both the GP32 and the GP2X. It´s called DrMD.
You can have fullspeed Megadrive with with sound on a GP32 that is able to do about 150 MHz.

SNES on the GP2X isn´t all that good, without overclocking you won´t get fullspeed with sound in most games. Also the sound is a bit laggy and shrill. It´s far better than on the GP32, but not as good as on the PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
SNES on the GP2X isn´t all that good, without overclocking you won´t get fullspeed with sound in most games. Also the sound is a bit laggy and shrill. It´s far better than on the GP32, but not as good as on the PSP.

Why is the SNES one such a trouble to run on the GP2X? I would think with the much improved spec of the console over the GP32 it would handle it ok.

Anyway, never had the chance to use DrMD. Need to keep that in mind.

Meant to ask also. What is the Amiga emulator like? I remember there was an issue with this on the GP32.

Bizt

Back