Should I Get A Gp2x?

Do you realize how cool it is to be able to telnet it, run your program, look at C printf's for debugging on the terminal while your program runs on the GP2X's screen? I can log in via telnet, run my little script with mounts my development folder on my PC over USB networking, and run test versions of my programs without ever writing to flash. Very, very handy. Additionally, you can run a remote debugger right on the GP2X and visually control it on your PC.
Wait, so you can essentially hook the GP2x up to your computer with the USB cable, and with a few keystrokes, instantly test your programs on the GP2x?
Is there a tutorial or easy way of doing this? (And which OSs could you do this on?)
Take a look over here. Works on any OS that has USB support and a telnet client, which is pretty much any OS you can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you realize how cool it is to be able to telnet it, run your program, look at C printf's for debugging on the terminal while your program runs on the GP2X's screen? I can log in via telnet, run my little script with mounts my development folder on my PC over USB networking, and run test versions of my programs without ever writing to flash. Very, very handy. Additionally, you can run a remote debugger right on the GP2X and visually control it on your PC.
Wait, so you can essentially hook the GP2x up to your computer with the USB cable, and with a few keystrokes, instantly test your programs on the GP2x?
Is there a tutorial or easy way of doing this? (And which OSs could you do this on?)
Take a look over here. Works on any OS that has USB support and a telnet client, which is pretty much any OS you can think of.
not quite true, it has to support RNDIS, which is only osx and winblows. (and im not even sure the rndis works with osx.)

Don't forget the Samba suite you have to install on the GP2X itself which allows you to mount remote SMB shares on other computers over the USB cable..

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1478

To me the screen is much better than the Gp32. The GP32 BLU was washed out and dim in comparison. The M2 screen has great color and contrast. It is similar to the PSP without the ghosting. The down side is if you tilt the unit away from you it gets dark. If you just hold it straight it is nice. MAME really looks great on it. The biggest thing I miss from the GP32 is the great PC-Engine emu. It was fullspeed and has much better sound than any of the Gp2X PC-engine emus.

Back