Should I Get A Gp2x?

zeroblitzt

Still Fresh
Well, I looked at it a few months ago, and I wanted it, but I forget about it for a while until a few days ago. I was reading about some of the problems it has (battery life, problems with the video, lack of games{?}), and I'm sort of undecided of whether to get it or not.

So I have a few questions here, too.

1. Is the battery life really as bad as its cracked up to be in certain places (I read a bunch of reviews that I got by googling "GP2X Reviews")? I'm looking to play a lot of emulators and watch an occasional movie, I'm not so much looking for the music aspect of it.

2. I'm a big Linux fan, and of course the GP2X runs on a linux variant. So if I found a game for desktop linux, could I just download it and move it to the GP2X and be able to play it? Or does the game need to be SPECIFICALLY designed for the GP2X?

And other than that, I'd say post your good/bad experiences with it to persuade me one way or another.

Thanks for any input,
Keith N.

1.) The average battery live is about 4-6 hours depending on how good your batterys are and how much oyu overlclock, i dont think i ever had less than 4h no matter what i did.

2.) In the best case you can jsut download precompiled arm binairys, in many cases you just need to recomplie, but in some cases you also have to alter the code in different degrees to get it to work.

Please search
pleaaaaaaaaase
use the eyes god gave you
use your fingers to type
since your new, ill still help you
battery life good
gp2x runs on linux
now buy one

Games need to be ported to run on the GP2X. This is because it has an ARM processor, not an x86. Currently, there is a bit of a games shortage, unless you're satisfied with emulators.
On the other hand, if you like making your own games, the GP2X is a great little machine to code for. Espetially if you were around in the C + MSDOS days with direct framebuffer access. :)

Or, you know, if you were around recently and can use SDL. So easy, even I can do it ;)

As for the games shortage - lies, all lies! There are plenty of addictive little (though not the best quality) games, just check the archive.

TKF15H wtf, I talk to you on the DarkBasic forums + IRC, I didn't know you used this o_O

Sorry for a double post here, but quick question: Is multiplayer possible through a USB Wifi adaptor? I was reading over about how there is no multiplayer utility built (wifi, link port etc.), but would it be possible through an external USB wifi plugin?

Back