Haiku Os

It's a great little OS, but it's definitely far from complete. It's basically an open-source reimplementation of BeOS, so if you've ever used that before you'll feel right at home. If not it's easy to learn. Unfortunately Haiku doesn't have wireless support yet, and it's overall hardware support is still a little iffy.

Tried it on my Macbook last night using Qemu. It is indeed a great little OS (30mb or something like that)
Very much looking forward to a proper release, though it looks like I might be in for quite a wait. 7 years of development so far and it seems its going to be a couple more years before an alpha is released :(

I'm definitely going to follow its progress

That's the problem these days. You can't just be a nice responsive and functional OS, you need an über hardware support, compatibility with so much stuff out there, and so on. Long bygone is the era during which you could reinvent the world and have an OS on a machine that was pretty much independent from anything out there. These days if you don't have Firefox and VLC (which Haiku has btw) and that you can support any SATA controller out there you're fucked.

Haiku is nice, but these days there's little room for anything but Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, and yes, I'm intentionally leaving BSD out, i.e. it's nice but Linux is more compatible and all that.

norm said:
There's always room for other operating systems IMO
There is indeed, but the bar for what constitutes an OS usable on a daily basis has been tremendously raised over the last decade, not by the level of quality, but by what your OS must be capable of from the start in order to be adopted.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is plenty of room for other operating systems, on embedded hardware. :D

Desktops? meh, they're goin the way of the dinosaur eventually anyway. さよなら、Microsoft.

Back