Half Dead, Half Alive

philb1

Still Fresh
I picked up my 2 Pandoras today, despite UPS's best attempts to keep them away from me (that's another story).

One seems to power up fine, but the other is totally dead, no LED's, nothing. I tried swapping batteries and power supplies, but can't bring the 2nd unit to life. Have rechecked the battery seating several times. Is there anything else I can try before sending it back, (do I need an RMA number?)

Thanks

Plug it in and leave it for several minutes. May take up to half an hour. If the battery is totally drained, the charge circuit does some weird things, or so I've been told.

If it still doesn't start after half an hour, maybe try removing the battery and then plugging it in. This will activate the (experimental!) battery free mode. DO NOT REMOVE OR INSERT BATTERY WHILE DOING THIS! I don't totally know why, but MWeston warned against it, so it must be bad.

Thanks for the suggestion.

After leaving it charging all night I checked battery in the good Pandora, it had reached 6% charge.

Trying both batteries (other is 100% charged) in bad Pandora it did attempt to do something a couple of times, once the enter name screen came up flickering madly.

Another time the power up progress bar got halfway across screen then froze. Now it's gone back to brick mode.

Seems like a component is bad or has come adrift inside (nothing obviously loose from a gentle shake)....

After leaving it charging all night I checked battery in the good Pandora, it had reached 6% charge.

Trying both batteries (other is 100% charged) in bad Pandora it did attempt to do something a couple of times, once the enter name screen came up flickering madly.

Another time the power up progress bar got halfway across screen then froze. Now it's gone back to brick mode.

Seems like a component is bad or has come adrift inside (nothing obviously loose from a gentle shake)....

Could it be that the battery doesn't connect properly to the contacts in the Pandora?

Maybe try to leave the battery out and connect the powersupply to the Pandora (don't remove or connect the battery while the power supply is attached!) and see if it will boot?

My guess is that somehow this one arrived with the battery drained, the default state is to charge very slowly till things can start safely.

It is possible that you have a corrupted OS on the NAND, so it is definitely worth trying to re-flash (first, check that you can get to the boot screen which means holding down the right shoulder button whilst turning on. If you just inserted a charged battery, it will try to book immediately, so hold the right shoulder and then reset using pandora button and power switch together whilst still holding the right shoulder). If this works, you get a text menu with 'power off', 'boot normally', and a few others. Game button B to select...

Make sure you use your good pandora to charge up both batteries to at least 50% before testing with them.

it sounds somewhat similar to the issues I encountered with my Pandora, where after a few weeks I couldn't get it to boot up at all no matter what I tried with my batteries or external charger. At best I'd get a garbled boot up screen, but it wouldn't boot up completely. In my case it was working normally at the start though, and I did try the tips for seating the batetry correctly, but to no avail. As we speak, it's gone back into Pandora rehab to be repaired (and I wish it a speedy recovery!!)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, have tried them to no avail, guess mine will join Stouffa's in Rehab. At least with 2 I can be fairly sure I'm not making a total Noob error, and can carry on messing about with the good one.

Cheers

at least you've got the other Pandora to keep you entertained in the meantime, and I'm also slightly relieved oddly that something similar has happened to someone else's one (just means that it's more likely that I didn't bugger mine up myself!!)

Goodness me!

I think that would be the *ultimate* let down... to be utterly elated and euphoric to have my Pandora finally actually delivered...

.....and it doesn't boot. O.O

..... It's dead.

I think I might even sob quietly in a corner and refuse to eat or talk to anyone. :(

What happens to the dead Pandora when you plug in the power supply with no battery inserted? Never insert the battery or remove the battery while the Pandora is connected to the power supply.

How long has UPS had your Pandoras?

Blame UPS... No, really, if something IS loose inside,it's their fault since every Pandora is tested before it leaves the team.

I wish you good luck. Damn, you should high-five yourself for buying the second Pandora :D .

EDIT: LOL there's a huge gap in posts thar...I only looked at Link's post date...sorry for necroposting anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you really want a Pandora, whether it's...

david_caruso_sunglasses.jpg

...dead or alive.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH

Blame UPS... No, really, if something IS loose inside,it's their fault since every Pandora is tested before it leaves the team.

I wish you good luck. Damn, you should high-five yourself for buying the second Pandora :D .

EDIT: LOL there's a huge gap in posts thar...I only looked at Link's post date...sorry for necroposting anyway.
I am not the only person to receive a Pandora minus screen screws and plugs for the holes.

Nobody is perfect. Poop happens when you party naked. Didn't notice the date either and thought UPS held one of the last Pandora's shipped til now. Why gravedig this? WTF

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you really want a Pandora, whether it's...

david_caruso_sunglasses.jpg

...dead or alive.

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH

Sam: You've got to calm down.

Dean: Calm down? I am wearing sunglasses at night. You know who does that? No-talent douchebags. I hate this game. I hate that we're in a procedural cop show. And you want to know why. Because I hate procedural cop shows. It's like 300 of them on television, they're all the freakin' same.

The-Money-Shot.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH, lol.

Anyways...

That really sucks to hear somebody finally receives their Pandora, only to have it end up dead. Good thing he got the second Pandora. I can't say I waited nearly as long as some of the other pre-orderers (I'm around 3200 - 3300 in the first batch), but I would go crazy if after all that time waiting to get a Pandora, I got a dud. But stuff happens. I'm sure it can get repaired or replaced if you send it in if need be. Good luck with it philb1.

Back