Half-life 1 On The Pandora?

Consequence_9

have you realized that rock stars always seem to l
Maybe really poorly through wine, but hopefully there is a better way. Its probably not very likely, but its been a dream of mine for a long time, to play half-life on a portable device that is. Raw spec. wise, the pandora should be able to handle it:

MINIMUM-
233MHz Processor
32MB RAM
16MB Video Card
Keyboard
Mouse
Internet Connection

RECOMMENDED-
500MHz Processor
64MB RAM
3D Video Card
Keyboard
Mouse
Internet Connection

I'm sure a lot of people would love to see this.

Short Answer: No

Long Answer (thanks yahtzee): NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wine won't work on Pandora because it uses so many optimizations specifically for the x86 architecture.

But yeah, I wish it were possible too...

unfortunately for us, alot of games that would have open sourced or open licensed or gotten engine re implementations have now been picked up on steam where people can pay twice the price they should for a semi functional game.

Consequence9 said:
Maybe really poorly through wine, but hopefully there is a better way. Its probably not very likely
I'm afraid (as others have said), it's beyond not likely. WINE, as the acronym that is its name suggests, is not an emulator - it is what some refer to as a "compatibility layer", and as such, requires an x86 processor. The Pandora uses an ARM processor.

Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, HL's engine is still closed source. Just the SDK is available for making mods. It'd be awesome if an ARM version of wine was possible, but I doubt it'll happen any time soon :p

thats the source code for the program that lets you make games with the half life engine.

shyguy: an arm "port" of WINE wouldnt be wine anymore, it would be an emulator.

i guess the only possible way to run it now would be through the dreamcast emulator if that ever gets made, so slim to none, lol, not to mention the load times in that version, ugh.

PoisonedV: yeah, I was thinking about a possible combination of an x86 emulator and wine...or something.

Either way, now I think about it, it'd be interesting to see if the Pandora could run HL within Qemu. Probably no more than 10 or so FPS, but it'd be an awesome What-If project.

Consequence9 said:
awww, damn. Thats unfortunate =/ it would definitely have been quite somethin.
for specifications it would be no problem... its actually powerful enough to handle it.

ShyGuy said:
PoisonedV: yeah, I was thinking about a possible combination of an x86 emulator and wine...or something.

Either way, now I think about it, it'd be interesting to see if the Pandora could run HL within Qemu. Probably no more than 10 or so FPS, but it'd be an awesome What-If project.
I'd be surprised if your frame rate even broke into whole numbers. x86 emulation on the Pandora is not likely to rise above the mid-386 range.

ShyGuy said:
an ARM version of wine
all wine does is translate windows executables. An ARM version of wine would be useless because there's no ARM windows, let alone ARM half life.

half life for pc isnt possible but renember there was a port to dreamcast so if the dudes who are attempting the dream cast emulator can get it running i cant see why we cant have the dreamcast version

It was my understanding that the dreamcast version of halflife ,that was canceled still got released tho i have no idea how this game was released.

the dreamcast emulator ,could run it and the only problem i found with it was the load times ,this is an area that emulators can improve with the disc- no wait function.

the dreamcast version looked better,as it had the model update installed
and it also had the main expansion installed,barney.
along with a nice filter ,could we see a one off dc emu running just for halflife ?

another idea ,would be a quake mod for halflife ,tho its not the real deal
and could never be really like halflife ,i might beg valve to give me the source hehehe an idea

am i right in saying ,there are no other hl engine games that are open source ,and even if they
were open source ,you still wouldnt be able to get the hl code running on that said engine as it
might and prolly is modifyed too much.

just clutchin at straws here, anythin for handheld halflife as this was always my dream ,fav game.

How far outside the pandoras capabilitys is half life 2? In this interviw craig says doom 3 may be a possibility...

Back