Half Life Running on Pandora! (Xash3d)

It will be absolutely awesome to have Half Life on the Pandora!

If some peeps don't love Half Life, that's cool, however please note that it has 96% from critics on Metacritic, 91% user approval, has 96% approval from users on Steam, and is the #5 ranked PC game by Critics on Metacritic (should be #3, really, since OOTPB is not that good, and The Orange Box is a collection of games).

Even if it's not the best game ever, it's definitely up there.

Half Life is a great, classic PC game. Go and buy it if you didn't already: http://store.steampowered.com/app/70/

@DREDD, there's at the moment some compatibility problem with steam version, I'd wait until we know more about this version support before buying it...

I find Doom nowhere in the 10 first top PC games ever on Metacritic, therefore, Metacritic is flawed. :p
SiN isn't even rated there, talk about flawed...

I have my game of the year edition CD dusted off on standby..

Revisiting the 'They Hunger' mod would be great too..

If some peeps don't love Half Life
As said before, this wasn't my intention, just wanted to know some reasons why there is "always" a fuzz when HalfLife 3 or something potentially related is mentioned some news on a gaming site.@all thanks for giving me some hints about it.

Halflife on the Pandora is indeed impressive, and would surely be something which could impress some people if ED would be able to get it working on the Pyra (in the best case on an already, fully working protoype) for this years Gamescom

Edit: Or to add to that, letting 4+ people play Counter-Strike (if possible with xash3d) on a local LAN ony Pyras only (or maybe with some people on regular PCs)

Last edited by a moderator:
Half Life 1 on Pandora and eventually Pyra?  Fantastic.

Something to consider though, this opens the potential for a lot more games than just Half Life.  The Half Life engine was used in a lot of mods and other games.

Team Fortress Classic

Portal

Counter Strike

Natural Selection (an amazing non-steam mod)

Opposing Force

Blue Shift

Day of Defeat

A whole pile of non-Valve HL1 mods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GoldSrc_engine_mods

Getting Half Life working isn't -just- getting Half Life.  It opens up many doors...

Great work - keep it up!

I also have my original CD of HL 1 ready to run (on my Pandora or eventually Pyra if a CC pandora is not enough )  :)

If some peeps don't love Half Life
As said before, this wasn't my intention, just wanted to know some reasons why there is "always" a fuzz when HalfLife 3 or something potentially related is mentioned some news on a gaming site.@all thanks for giving me some hints about it.

Halflife on the Pandora is indeed impressive, and would surely be something which could impress some people if ED would be able to get it working on the Pyra (in the best case on an already, fully working protoype) for this years Gamescom

Edit: Or to add to that, letting 4+ people play Counter-Strike (if possible with xash3d) on a local LAN ony Pyras only (or maybe with some people on regular PCs)
My good points for Half-Life (I played it 5 years later it's release and was impressed):

1) No pre-rendered cinematics, you were always playing even during the "animated sequences" and No separate levels, you were able most of the time to go back to the beginning, it seemed like a huge open world, even if it was not. (Somehow like in Quake 2, where the elevator was some kind of level selector)

2) Almost perfect keyboard/mouse controls disposition. (But totally modifiable)

3) Smart use of auto-saves, there were 2 alternate autosaving files after every area, so to prevent corruption !! (Plus the good quick saves keys)

4) Cool interactions with the world, almost at the level of Duke Nukem 3D (and similar games) but this was in real 3D. Even many weapons interact with the world environment.

5) SUPER MODDABLE ENGINE !! A lot of things to try !!

6) The story is cool, but the coolest thing is that the the 2 official MODS, "Blue Shift" and "Opposing Forces" are sharing it !! You are able to live the same events with different perspective, and sometimes you can even see the connections. There are also fan mods that share the same idea, the best for me is "Point Of View" where you live the story as one of the aliens.

7) I also liked the atmosphere

About Half-Life 2 I don't have too much to say, the engine is SUPERB for it's time, it was the first game with HDR and a lot of visual effects controlled by physics, and animations were great, also the AI was very enhanced...

I liked it but somehow I felt the physics puzzles too much forced... also many weapons were there just for fun in some limited points...

I also felt the story a little forced, but a great game anyway. But if I have to choose what game to play 3 times in a row, I will choose the first one.

Hi all,

@ptitSeb: for those who don't have (yet) an Half-Life CD at hand, will you also release a PND with the demo version (Half-Life: Day One or Half-Life: Uplink) of the game ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I haven't tested uplink or day one. but they should work just fine...

I don't have day one but I'll try uplink later...

edit: seems to work, haven't tryed too far through:

hldemo1_0000.jpg

hldemo1_0001.jpg

edit2: there's no need to package a special pnd, you just need to copy the valve folder or anyother folder like "uplink" on your SD card in the xash appdata to be able to use it..

Hi all :)

@ Elwing: thanks for testing the demo version with Xash3d !

EDIT: Half-Life: Day One is here, Half-Life: Uplink is there.

Cheers, Magic Sam

hum, your CD won't be compatible, it is too big to fit your pandora, maybe it will if you cut it in two?
That's probably the biggest problem Ptitseb faced when trying to do his port. But I guess he asked Exophase how he did to fit the two DS screen inside one Pandora screen, since both problems were pretty similar.  :p

Tested with my spanish HL CD, updated to 1.1.1.0. Works almost perfect!

Thanks a whole lot for the great work!

Back