Handheld Resolution Comparison

KarmaSlave

Still Fresh
Website
mercetron.com
I thought I should show you guys and gals this little picture I made to illustrate for a friend (and myself really) the difference of resolution between the DS, PSP and the Pandora.

It's not in physical scale, it only shows how much pixley goodness you can actually fit on the Pandora compared to the other consoles. This image surprised me a lot, because I didn't think that the difference would be THIS huge. I'm using my Nintendo DS with an R4 chip (homebrew enabler chip) and with it I'm chatting on IRC, drawing with Colors! and sometimes I even do some limited surfing with DSorganize (which suck for mostly anything but for looking things up on wikipedia).

Once I also thought that 800 pixels was too little to surf with - that hey, my computer monitor is 1600 pixels wide! But then, looking at the web sites I go to, I realized that it doesn't really matter because most are made to run well at 800. Some sites simply CAN'T show anything wider than 800-or-so pixels, and just fills in the sides with empty space.

The Pandora is soooo on my wish list. It has been for quite some time now.

EDIT: I made it clear that it is the same resolution for all the DSes.

handheld_resolution_comparison.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I 've seen things like this posted on this sit a couple of times before. Is there any chance you could add the latest DS with the bigger screens so I could show my friends?

Doesnt the new DS have the same resolution as the old just a bigger screen?

I'm just guessing, cant be bothered to look into it myself :p

'Iorgy77' said:
Doesnt the new DS have the same resolution as the old just a bigger screen?

I'm just guessing, cant be bothered to look into it myself :p
From what allmighty Google tells me, you're right. The screens on the DSi are simply a little tiny bit bigger, but they have the same resolution as the old DS/DS Lite.

would have been pretty suicidal if the new ds had another resolution ^^
hello huge compatibility problems ^^

It has the same resolution, but a slightly bigger screen.

Lol funny comparison chart.

uhu.. i would like to map the dpad to be the same function as the scrollwheel click function so you can navigate leftright updown when browsing in 800x480

Thankyou... that's wonderfully useful to show off to people (evil smiley guy that we don't have goes here)

I browse the web on my N800, which is the same screen dimensions as the P&|a. Most every website is perfectly usable with no sideways scrolling.

However, I'd love to have adblock plus on a handheld, since ads take so much bandwidth & memory.

'Butterman' said:
You brought some shitty TV eh?

800x480 is actually better than SD. All tube TVs (and possibly some early LCD (though at 42 inches, I don't imagine it being all that early)) would have a lower res than what the Pandora has.

'kin' said:
Lol funny comparison chart.

uhu.. i would like to map the dpad to be the same function as the scrollwheel click function so you can navigate leftright updown when browsing in 800x480
Have to point out there is no scrollwheel to click or function.

Interesting Pic...(I also mean the Po-Ju Avatar ;) )
Now we could need a picture with the Physical size of various screens. :)

'Butterman' said:
'foft' said:
What I love about the Pandora res is that its exactly the same as my 42" TV! Nice diagram.

:rolleyes: OT, but its a really nice plasma EDTV. For SD content (i.e. mostly everything before last year) looks better than HD sets.

Now imagine a TV with the same DPI as pandora at 42" - that would be uber HD!

'WizardStan' said:
'Butterman' said:

800x480 is actually better than SD. All tube TVs (and possibly some early LCD (though at 42 inches, I don't imagine it being all that early)) would have a lower res than what the Pandora has.
What I meant, was that most decent 42" TVs run 1080p (1920×1080). I know mine does.

'foft' said:
'Butterman' said:
'foft' said:
What I love about the Pandora res is that its exactly the same as my 42" TV! Nice diagram.

:rolleyes: OT, but its a really nice plasma EDTV. For SD content (i.e. mostly everything before last year) looks better than HD sets.

Now imagine a TV with the same DPI as pandora at 42" - that would be uber HD!

The next generation of HD TV is 3840×2160, and the BBC already have cameras which can record in some crazy res, 12000x7000 or so and they have done test broadcasts at these resolutions.

The future is pretty clear.

Back