Handheld Web Browser

KoH said:
seems to be lots of hidden costs/monthly carges
Think you must have read it wrong, from what I can see there are no hidden charges, year 1 is free for 20 hours a month (or £5.99 per month unlimited). Year 2 £40 or again (or £5.99 per month unlimited).

http://www.pocketsurfer.co.uk/htm/Free%20Airtime.htm

Unfortunately it seems that it uses the Orange network (via built in sim) so no coverage for me at home :-(

Apparantly they use a patented compression system at their end to compress the pages before they are sent to you. They claim a 2GB PDF in 7 seconds! And that's using GPRS.

Last edited by a moderator:
spoyser said:
KoH said:
Think you must have read it wrong, from what I can see there are no hidden charges, year 1 is free for 20 hours a month (or £5.99 per month unlimited). Year 2 £40 or again (or £5.99 per month unlimited).

Unfortunately it seems that it uses the Orange network (via built in sim) so no coverage for me at home :-(

Apparantly they use a patented compression system at their end to compress the pages before they are sent to you. They claim a 2GB PDF in 7 seconds! And that's using GPRS.

Its physically impossible to compress a 2GB PDF down to roughly 50KB.

sam fisher said:
spoyser said:
KoH said:

Its physically impossible to compress a 2GB PDF down to roughly 50KB.

I think that was on a review page I came across so probably nonsense! Although I think they do actually use lossy compression removing stuff that they don't think will make any visible/functional difference, so who knows. Bit like MP3 for webpages!

Don't seem to be available to buy online yet so I guess no one has tried one out.

spoyser said:
Although I think they do actually use lossy compression removing stuff that they don't think will make any visible/functional difference, so who knows.
Like Opera Mini, then?

I personally am not in the mood to pay $60/month for cell data service. I have free wifi at work. Would'nt an unlocked iphone be better than this device.

computarman said:
I personally am not in the mood to pay $60/month for cell data service. I have free wifi at work. Would'nt an unlocked iphone be better than this device.
Where did $60 come from?

Since it uses GPRS it can be used anywhere that an Orange/T mobile phone can be used so not at my home :-( It isn't reliant on a Wi-Fi spot.

It also has a full qwerty keyboard, and most importantly looks rather smart ;-)

Figures suggest that it is currently 10x faster than the iPhone but given that there is considerable pre-processing at the server end this figure will presumambly drop once the device is in greater use.

it seems alot of money for what it is and these days most new phones have a full web browser in them.

I'm quite interested, if only you could make calls with it, and browsing was free, and it was like 50 quid cheaper.

Back