Have You Encountered Any Defects On Your Pandora So Far?

Does your Pandora suffer from any hardware defects?

• Total voters

Does it get loose due to hinge action or can bumps to the unit unseat the LCD cable?

quartercast said:
Does it get loose due to hinge action or can bumps to the unit unseat the LCD cable?

It has something to do with solder in the wrong place coming into contact with the cable (I think). Ed says they've fixed it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yep, the spikey solder blob problem is one possibility, a loose cable is the other one.

If my experience as a Pandora owner is anything like the average then I might have some perspective on the "OMG they're all faulty! But almost none are sent back" issue.

My Pandora has the following defects, as listed in the poll:
Screen bevels out by a lot more than 0.5mm.
Shoulder buttons only work reliably if you press the top of them (nearest the screen), if you press the bottom they stick. The left is worse than the right.
A button is spongy.
WIFI sometimes cuts out, but I think it's the same software problem everyone has. But it is always slow however close I am to my router.
Left nub has always been worse than the right one. Started off gritty and inconsistent but is now much better. Sadly it still misbehaves on occasion.

Do I intend to send my Pandora back? NO WAY!

Unless something goes wrong making it impossible to use I am holding onto my little Pandora. I've grown very attached to it and I wouldn't want to see it go, even to be replaced with another.

This is completely different to how I would react if it was a Sony, Nintendo, Apple etc product. But then the Pandora is different.

I remember Prometheus saying that she didn't mind that there was a light pipe missing from her first Pandora and I kind of know how she feels. I don't expect the same levels of QC as I would from a big company. As long as everything works and does the job I'm fine with it. Although by all means try to improve it as best you can!

Are there defects in my Pandora, in particular the ones listed in the poll? Yes. Undeniably yes.

Do I care? As long as it works, no. Overall, my Pandora is a fantastic device and I am very happy with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few people like me.

I'm just hoping I can scrape together the money to buy a pandora before they go extinct.

Alerino said:
pootle, where do i sign? :)
if any major problem occurs, i will definitely return my pandora instead of whining

What about returning the Pandora and whining?

craigix said:
76% of Pandoras! It must be true! Apart from the returns show nothing like this.

Actually I've an idea. Pick a console. Make 'impossible to win' thread similar to this. Get equally skewed results.

For extra win, pick the xbox 360

Mithrildor said:
craigix said:
76% of Pandoras! It must be true! Apart from the returns show nothing like this.

Actually I've an idea. Pick a console. Make 'impossible to win' thread similar to this. Get equally skewed results.

96% of all xbox 360's fail within the first 38.6 seconds of gameplay. This is a fact.*

*It's not.**

**Although it could be close :X

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Mithrildor said:
craigix said:

96% of all xbox 360's fail within the first 38.6 seconds of gameplay. This is a fact.*

*It's not.**

**Although it could be close :X

Wasn't there the 25% of all units died from overheating (RROD?)
I remember I thought it was funny, as the same thing happened with the old XBox.
I know that was the reason I waited for later versions before I bought it :)

Last edited:
I really wouldn't call them defects but there's a bit of a separation between the top and bottom half of the case on the back, probably caused by the tight fit of the USB port, and the bulging screen bezel everyone has. Also, the screen part is not completely flush against the PCB part on the front, it sticks up a bit on the sides, which I heard is normal, but it sticks a lot more up on the left than the right, which is a bit annoying. It's a one nubber, but I managed to fix the left nub (which was gritty and kept needing calibration, now it works perfectly) with some compressed air so I'm pretty happy with it overall :)

sebt3 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
What about returning the Pandora and whining?
loll:D

When the time comes to really need to return the Pandora, I will stop coming to this forum, otherwise all I will post is whining!

^ Would you like some whinge with your whine?

Jdbye said:
I really wouldn't call them defects but there's a bit of a separation between the top and bottom half of the case on the back, probably caused by the tight fit of the USB port

So the two are separating but there's no actual crack in the plastic where the screw goes through? Interesting, have you checked that the screw is present at the bottom?

quartercast said:
^ Would you like some whinge with your whine?

Had enough whine already thanks. I'd only feel bad in the moaning.

So did anyone actually get a flawless, perfect pandora on the first go?

According to craigix only 41 were sent back to him, so that should make for a lot of happy customers.... where are these people? Is there some secret pandora forum they post on?

Iorgy77 said:
So did anyone actually get a flawless, perfect pandora on the first go?

According to craigix only 41 were sent back to him, so that should make for a lot of happy customers.... where are these people? Is there some secret pandora forum they post on?
I said plenty of time that i'm a realy pleased customer and that my pandora is perfect.
If you missed that, you should have missed many others posts...

... But I 'll rma it tommorow : lcd ribon is dying. But it was to be expected as mine was in the first shiped.

My Pandora was pretty damn nice. My only complaint was the shoulder buttons at the time but.... now my lcd ribbon is going too. I might RMA... not sure. I have to see if its deteriorating from opening and closing the hinge and cover too much or if its a pressure issue on the cable.
If I can't figure it out..... I might have to return mine to be fixed.
OTHERWISE... SINCERELY.... I use mine alot and love it and still tell everyone I know who is interested about it.

Can we knock it off with these pointless topics? You think you can do better on the first try and please everyone then go for it.

Back