Haven't Been Here For A Loooong Time !

ljones said:
The line in sounds intresting and so does the internal mic. In theroy it should then be possible to use the pandora as a high quality digital audio recorder (i.e. 44.1Khz stereo, as on normal PCs?). If that's the case, I'd find that *very* useful. Even better if it could record directly into mp3's or ogg's.
You're right, that's a great feature that I haven't though about before. I hope somebody writes or ports a nice recording program eventually.

I'm almost totally unfamiliar with the recording terminology and how it works, though. I have a small recording device that can record at 44.1Khz Stereo, but the quality still sounds kinda crappy (ok for voice, not so much for music). It's certainly not "CD-quality". Could that be because it also compresses everything to WMA files?

WizardStan said:
Research suggests that batteries stored at 40% charge last significantly longer than those kept at a constant 100% charge. 4% loss per year vs 20% loss per year at normal temperatures.
I propose a tool, called "batterystore" or something like that (I'm bad with names) which, when active, will drain the battery to 40%, and prevent the battery from charging beyond 40%. 40% is still about 4 hours play time, so if you regularly only use it for short trips (an hour or two), you can use the app to keep the battery at 40% and therefore fresher, but if you're needing longer life, just kill the app and fully charge.

That's a nice idea... but add the option to set it to percentages other than 40%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
I'm almost totally unfamiliar with the recording terminology and how it works, though. I have a small recording device that can record at 44.1Khz Stereo, but the quality still sounds kinda crappy (ok for voice, not so much for music). It's certainly not "CD-quality". Could that be because it also compresses everything to WMA files?
No, it likely has nothing to do with the codec you're using. Most such devices are designed for voice, which takes very little bandwidth to transmit - for real "CD-quality" sound, you need some more expensive/professional equipment.

Well despite all the battery stuff I've been thinking.....and decided I'd like to get hold of a pandora. I Think its good points easily outweigh the bad ones overall :) .

ljones

craigix said:
The battery claim on devices such as this is interesting.

Most battery manufacturers will keep batteries of almost all sizes in stock, they go from 2x2x2 and up to huge sizes due to all the devices available these days and also to power any device which in theory might come to the market so the manufacturers can get one off the shelf.

For them it is just a case of making a bag to fit.

There is a standard battery of about 3200 which will fit the pandora, we just wanted to max the space and had one made which is (as far as i remember) 2mm smaller than one which can be bought off the shelf.

It really isn't the major issue some people think it is, well at least not now we live in a world of weird sized batteries being in everything these days.

Also some people think devices like the Gizmondo or the Zodiac take a custom battery but I'd bet if you get a stock listing from a huge battery manufacturer you will find it is in fact an off the shelf part, or at least within one mm of one.

A custom connection can, again, probably be bought in the same way.

Don't fear the battery! :)
I got a couple of replacement batteries for my Zodiac, can't remember exactly where I got them from now, but I don't remember it being too much hassle. Hmm, come to think about it I only seem to remember changing one of the batteries, (I got two Zodiacs) and I'm not sure where the other one is. I hope it doesn't explode or anything! <_<

My battery change

I would imagine it's mostly down to the quality of the built-in mic. If the unit is only designed for recording voice clips then the mic is probably a very basic one. Also bear in mind that CDs are stereo. To get a stereo sound recording you'd need two mics placed a a distance from each other.

Back