HDSC Card or USB Flash

Eisner

Still Fresh
Sorry if this has been covered but I need clarification on something.
I have already bought my SD cards but I noticed lately that there are some great deals relating to USB memory sticks with comparable memory sizes.
I was wondering which is generally faster for downloading of data ? Would I be better off, getting another HDSC card or a usb memory stick.

Thank you,

D)

The speed of the USB stick depends on the stick. Some are faster and some are slower. For example, I just transfered a 700MB test file to and from a cheap A-Data 8GB USB stick and got 21.2MB/s read and 8.9MB/s write. I don't have an SD card to compare it to, but that's in the same general range as a decent class 6 card.

Just remember, if you use a USB stick, it will be constantly sticking out the back of your Pandora. It will have a tendency to bump into things and you could end up damaging the USB socket.

Thanks Chip. After some further reading on Google, I found similar results and your point about the stick out the back is a good one. However, the prices on the sticks locally seem to be coming down faster than the SD cards. I already have 2 cards ( 2 X 8GM ) so I was thinking that I could just have a stick for movies, or other temp apps that I would not want all the time and keep my cards for the emulators/games and other apps/OS that I would like to have readily and consistently available.

D)

There are 16gb brandless SD card on eBay for $30, which is not bad, even if they're slow, it shouldn't be a problem if you have another decent card for the OS.

Knockoff cards on eBay should be avoided like the plague! Trust me, I have bought and read plenty of reviews that says you should probably just spend an extra $5-10 on a definite Class of SD card.

I have had an entire days worth of vacation photos just disappear, from cheap HK SD cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211245

This is class 6 so you are looking at 22MB-ish Reads. I am not going to be buying SD cards until my Pandora comes to me though, I am going to wait and see what kind of sweet deals come around.

Yes, stay off the ebay cards. There are lots of reports of 4GB cards being sold as 8GB, for example. For some reason fake high-capacity SD cards seems to be popular business at ebay for the time being.

Back