Headphone Port Problem

BenScar

What does this do again?
Website
Visit site
Hello All,

Made a little bit of a fool of myself on the way to work this week. Popped on my GP2x, shoved my headphones in, started up an episode of Medium and happily watched it for 20 minutes or so.

Sadly the train was all over the place and an ear in headphone dropped out when the train bounced. At this point I realised I could still hear the episode in both ears, to my dismay the sound had been coming out of the units speakers as well as in my headphones!

With a little playing about I could make it stop coming out of the speakers but only by putting some pressure (in an upward type way) on the head phone connector.
I've used these headphone before and they'd worked the way you'd expect (plug them in, sound stops coming out of the speakers!) so I'm guessing I've managed to damage the socket somehow.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?
If so, have you been able to rectify this problem?

I'm thinking I'll pop the unit open and see if there are any dry joints or broken solder joints, little bit nervous about doing that but what the hell! :rolleyes:

The solder points inside are very weak... Hell, when i tried putting in my headphones the jack just fell in.

Open it up and solder em up, if u dont want to do that return it untill u get a good one. :D

my headphone socket interfers with software aswell as having dodgey sound it pauses the mp3 player or makes songs skip to the next track

veryyy weird

Thanks to chronomitch's thread (which I should have searched for) I'm all sorted.

Works like a treat. I even have a piccy of what I soldered (if anyone wants it, it's not all that hard to spot what needs doing!)

Thanks again guys.

My problem is a bit different, i've tried 2 different pairs of headphones, i plug it in, no more sound out of the speakers, but there isnt anything coming out of the headphones, except a very very faint sound of whatever sound is going on. Anyone know what i can do about this?

yea that happened to me for a bit but its fine now. If you ask me they could make the headphone volume louder. It's hard as crap to hear stuff on a noisy bus or train!

Back