Heat Spreader Performance and Overclocking

Was ist ein Faserthermometer?
And here I was thinking about a thermometer with the probe at the tip of a cord. Like this but more like a bendable stick that you can bend into place, for those hard to reach spots.

More a modern digital fewer thermometer in whit an LCD and a sensor bulp on front ..
whe aren’t that ancient in Germany anymore..
If you mean something like this:
Rossmax-Digital-Themometer-TG-380.jpg

Then that's still not ideal for measuring the temperature of solids unfortunately.

Then that's still not ideal for measuring the temperature of solids unfortunately.
How about using thermal paste or this gel/silicone and then plunge the tip into that?

ps: Picture says: 98.24 Fahrenheit

Last edited:
Hi all,

I bought an infrared thermometer this week-end (PangaO PG-IRT1602). I deleted @ptitSeb 's VDrift package and downloaded it again to the SD card. The Pyra was freshly booted and rested on a cool surface (i.e not in my hands). Temperature this morning in my flat is ~25 C. I measured the temperature above the Pyra's keyboard at regular intervals. Here are the readings (in Celsius), from the beginning to the end of the 1.4GB download:

29.3, 30.8, 31.1, 32.5, 34.2, 35.8, 35.7, 36.2, 37.4

I then switched off the Pyra and returned it, the battery side facing up, and took another measurement: 35.0 C

I removed the lid of the battery compartment and measured the temperature above the battery: 38.2 C

I removed the battery and measured the temperature inside the battery compartment: 41.8 C

After typing this small post straight on the Pyra, the temperature above the keyboard is: 37.4 C

What do you think of those results ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

The temps do not look that hot to me. However, I don't know if throttling has kicked in already.
I would expect the temp above the keyboard to be a bit more, to help out dissipate heat. (poor battery is already getting 42, so that will be more after a gaming session). But I understand that, because when clamped shut, that heat would be trapped, like with the Pandora.
Any idea where the wifi unit is inside the device? Maybe that one is getting hot, and cpu-wise it's just idle (and lazily copying downloaded bytes)

Thank you for the detailed heat reporting. What was the screen temperature?

Also, once we start holding the Pyra, some hand heat will enter the device and form a heat cushion. Or when inside a pocket, for example for listening music.

Last edited:
Also, once we start holding the Pyra, some hand heat will enter the device and form a heat cushion. Or when inside a pocket, for example for listening music.
That depends on the heat involved. After a extensive session my laptop gets quite hot and by the laying on of hands I use my body's circulation to wick heat away from the poor motherboard. Once things are above 33 degrees naturally, the application of skin will only tend to cool things.

Hi all,

I just set cpufreqd to "Powersave" mode. CPU speed is now locked to 250MHz on both CPUs.

I'll keep an eye on the temperatures and will let you know whether that improves the situation or not.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Reactions: rSl
I had problems with the hardware speed being limited to 1 GHz, when compiling projects, sometimes the system froze.

How should I do that ?
There is a brightness control key. It has 'key' written on it in orange, so I assume you need to use fn+the key to modify your keyboard brightness. I'm not sure whether by defualt it goes brighter or less bright, so you might need to chord it with another key to dim your keyboard, and I'm not completely sure whether you need to shift the key or ctrl+the key or something else to modify it. But it is that key you need.

There is a brightness control key. It has 'key' written on it in orange, so I assume you need to use fn+the key to modify your keyboard brightness. I'm not sure whether by defualt it goes brighter or less bright, so you might need to chord it with another key to dim your keyboard, and I'm not completely sure whether you need to shift the key or ctrl+the key or something else to modify it. But it is that key you need.
Thanks @levi , it worked like a charm :)

I'll add your tip to the FAQ.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back